+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elisha Sam needs to go

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Its simply to early to judge in my opinion.
    Agree.

Sam did some things I liked and some I didn't.
    But, I think you are looking at the wrong end of the pitch.
    The defense didn't have its mind on the job. Did Brindley get an assist for his pass?
    And on the gametime I have seen, my main concern is about the blend in midfield, we didn't seem to defend well or move the ball quickly enough. But early days.

Think I will have to force myself to be patient with him and for that matter the team as a whole.
    I remember watching Didier Drogba in his first season and I thought ,'What a donkey'. He was very poor at first and it wasn't until the next season he flourished.
    Admittedly Sam and Drogba are of a different pedigree, but I can live in hope!

Let's hope Elisha doesn't log in to the NCM nuthouse.

It might give him the kick up the arse he needs. It's bad enough when you run like a giraffe but when you jump like one ....

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    You won't like him because you're desperate for a stick to beat Ardley with and something to complain about, it's what you do, it's what you've always done, I don't expect you to change and I can't imagine anyone else on this site that's been here more than 5 minutes thinks you'll ever change either.

Don't be daft, this is Notts County Mad, it's never too early to write someone off based on their performances in glorified training sessions.

This isn't a regular start to a season and people should take that into account, the players that weren't involved in our playoff campaign have gone as long without playing as someone with a really bad injury, possibly the longest layoffs of their careers so far and will more than likely take longer than usual to get to 100%. Luckily other teams will be in a similar boat and thankfully we assembled our squad nice and early to give them the best chance.

To suggest a new player "should go" before he's even kicked a ball against a team in our division might be a new level of ridiculous though even for NCM standards
    Whilst Durham has been rather scathing over the years he's rarely been wrong which is a real shame! Still I am sure we will finish top half!

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I feel a bit for Sam - he's not played since February and is bound to be rusty. Allied to that, he's moved to a foreign country at an unprecedented time when, you presume, team bonding isn't going to be easy.
    This. Football fans are so harsh sometimes.

It's far too early to be writing off a player who probably won't be in a position to show his true ability for at least another month. Even if he had arrived match-fit, it would take him time to adapt to the English game, but the lad hadn't kicked a ball in anger for several months before he got here, so it's not surprising his touch and timing are off. I've seen flashes of ability and pace in his game so far, but also several clumsy moments he'll have to iron out, but let's give him some time.

I remember a raw central defender arriving from Australia and looking like a complete donkey in his first game (a 6-0 defeat at Millwall I think), and it took him several more months to really get used to playing here, but Shaun Murphy eventually proved himself to be one of our better-value signings.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    This. Football fans are so harsh sometimes.

It's far too early to be writing off a player who probably won't be in a position to show his true ability for at least another month. Even if he had arrived match-fit, it would take him time to adapt to the English game, but the lad hadn't kicked a ball in anger for several months before he got here, so it's not surprising his touch and timing are off. I've seen flashes of ability and pace in his game so far, but also several clumsy moments he'll have to iron out, but let's give him some time.

I remember a raw central defender arriving from Australia and looking like a complete donkey in his first game (a 6-0 defeat at Millwall I think), and it took him several more months to really get used to playing here, but Shaun Murphy eventually proved himself to be one of our better-value signings.
    In the old days, the likes of Sam and Rodrigues would be been able to adjust to English football by initially playing for the reserves. We don't have that luxury these days, so they've got to learn the hard way - and learn quickly.

Ardley alluded to some words being said in the dressing room at the end of the game between the players - I wonder where they were aimed. Brindley deserves a *******ing for his lazy pass for the third goal, for sure, but I also wonder if the likes of Rodrigues and Sam were being told to stop surrendering possession so cheaply (not that they were the only ones guilty of that yesterday or last Tuesday).

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    In the old days, the likes of Sam and Rodrigues would be been able to adjust to English football by initially playing for the reserves. We don't have that luxury these days, so they've got to learn the hard way - and learn quickly.
    Very true. The value of the old Central/Pontins Reserves League was so under-appreciated. It provided the perfect bridge to first-team football for youth team graduates, players returning from long injury lay-offs and incoming players from abroad needing to find their feet. People often moan these days that our youth players aren't good enough to step up to the first team, but it's so much more difficult now. There's no interim stage. Competitive reserve football was perfect for the development of players like Michael Johnson, Mark Draper, Tommy Johnson et al. And as you say, Shaun Murphy after his nightmare debut went into the reserves and learned how to play English football, eventually re-emerging ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    No we didn't he chose to go because he wasn't good enough to get into our starting 11.

As for Sam, I was asleep most of the first half but Sam showed some decent touches and linked the play well when I was paying attention. He missed a header that Charlie seemed to think he should have scored, seemed a bit harsh to me as it looked like he headed it at full stretch and couldn't get over it to aim it much. Cal Roberts injury permitting, I doubt we'll see him start next week with Wootton, Enzio and probably Thomas starting
    He left because he would have been behind that useless lot in the pecking order..

Who would you have him in ahead of? He's at Leamington FC now in the division below, we wish him well.

So Ardley must go. Elisha Sam needs to go, after only just arriving. Who's next? The owners and ground staff look safe, but let's not hang around let's act quick and try and get someone else out the club before the season kicks off.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast