+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handball

Apart from worsening the game , this current handball interpretation is making the refs even worse than they already were.

Just caught the end of the discussion on Sky re the handball controversy, now I think that I heard Graham Souness correctly, he seemed to suggest that whilst the current handball ruling is giving mistaken decisions, it’s all ok because it will lead to more penalties being given and therefore make matches more exciting! I’ve never liked Souness, to me he comes across as an obnoxious individual but I hadn’t realised that he was that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Just caught the end of the discussion on Sky re the handball controversy, now I think that I heard Graham Souness correctly, he seemed to suggest that whilst the current handball ruling is giving mistaken decisions, it’s all ok because it will lead to more penalties being given and therefore make matches more exciting! I’ve never liked Souness, to me he comes across as an obnoxious individual but I hadn’t realised that he was that stupid.
    The point he was trying to make is that the rule makers want more goals & pens as well as the broadcasters, but then remembered he was on sky

Also his point about penalties currently being given due to minimal contact is where the handball rule will go

Since the opinion seems to be "Them's the rules, play to them," surely there is the chance to exploit this. Once an attacking side gets into the opponent's penalty area, rather than trying shots on goal they would be much better off to keep firing the ball at the nearest defender, with the objective of hitting an arm. It should be possible to secure a good 4 or 5 penalties per game.

Yep, it's a farce.

There is an international rush to locate players with no arms

Some of you on here will know I’ve long been if the opinion that ANY touch of hand on ball in the area should be a penalty.

Even if accidental because this kills the argument as to whether it should’ve been awarded or not.

In hockey, literally ANY incident of the ball touching the defenders foot results in a penalty.

This does mean that in certain situations that the attacking player actually tries to hit the defenders foot but that in itself becomes a skill.

One way I would make a point if difference is to perhaps differentiate between deliberate and accidental hand ball.

For a deliberate act you’d award a penalty as normal from 12 yards.

For accidental you’d create a new penalty spot on the 18 yard line.

I’m really not bothered if we get ten penalties a match and a game finishes 8-8 overall because I think it’ll just add to the entertainment.

It would make the game fairer as well because it takes the decision away from the incompetence of the fools operating VAR.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Some of you on here will know I’ve long been if the opinion that ANY touch of hand on ball in the area should be a penalty.

Even if accidental because this kills the argument as to whether it should’ve been awarded or not.

In hockey, literally ANY incident of the ball touching the defenders foot results in a penalty.

This does mean that in certain situations that the attacking player actually tries to hit the defenders foot but that in itself becomes a skill.

One way I would make a point if difference is to perhaps differentiate between deliberate and accidental hand ball.

For a deliberate act you’d award a penalty as normal from 12 yards.

For accidental you’d create a new penalty spot on the 18 yard line.

I’m really not bothered if we get ten penalties a match and a game finishes 8-8 overall because I think it’ll just add to the entertainment.

It would make the game fairer as well because it takes the decision away from the incompetence of the fools operating VAR.
    This would contravene Law 12 of The Laws of Football which has stood for 100+ years and states 'A free kick is awarded if the player handles the ball deliberately'

Note. In hockey the ball touching the feet is not a penalty it is a penalty it's a penalty corner. A very different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    This would contravene Law 12 of The Laws of Football which has stood for 100+ years and states 'A free kick is awarded if the player handles the ball deliberately'

Note. In hockey the ball touching the feet is not a penalty it is a penalty it's a penalty corner. A very different thing.

The law is being contravened anyway with penalties being awarded in incidents where players have had a nano second in which to move out of the way of the ball!

The number of incidents of players only a yard apart where the pen is now being given is becoming ridiculous.

The spirit of the old law is truly broken and I’d say most fans agree with this.

It’s also not to say that a law can’t be changed as with offside which didn’t exist going back into the mists of time.

By your analogy that should be scrapped as well and maybe we can return to having no nets in the goals?

I fully understand the penalty rule in hockey albeit I didn’t explain it very well!

This is why I stated that an 18 yard penalty should be awarded for an accidental handball as it would be deemed to be a less serious offence and in the same way a penalty corner is awarded it would see a lesser chance of a goal being scored.

As with everything, there are pros and cons in respect of technology, however, life was far simpler before it all came in. I would rather we did away with all technology in football and went back to the days where referees and linesmen relied on their eyesight and reading of the game; they were better at back then, too. We may as well have the arguments over decisions while drinking our pints in the pub rather than on an Internet forum arguing over the technology, which hasn’t solved the problems it was brought in for in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The law is being contravened anyway with penalties being awarded in incidents where players have had a nano second in which to move out of the way of the ball!

The number of incidents of players only a yard apart where the pen is now being given is becoming ridiculous.

The spirit of the old law is truly broken and I’d say most fans agree with this.

It’s also not to say that a law can’t be changed as with offside which didn’t exist going back into the mists of time.

By your analogy that should be scrapped as well and maybe we can return to having no nets in the goals?

I fully understand the penalty rule in hockey albeit I didn’t explain it very well!

This is why I stated that an 18 yard penalty should be awarded for an accidental handball as it would be deemed to be a less serious offence and in the same way a penalty corner is awarded it would see a lesser chance of a goal being scored.
    I agree the law is being contravened and the spirit is broken. I don't agree most fans of or others in football agree it should be broken. I think you would struggle to find many that think either the Everton or Newcastle pens were a correct decision.

I'm a bit confused when in your first post you say you have no problem with 10 pens a match but then say the number of pens now being given is ridiculous.

As regards the mist of time the offside rule has existed since 1863 and was only fundamentlly changed about 100 years ago. This is I believe true of all 17 Laws of the Game with only minor alterations.
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 28-09-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)