+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handball

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    I agree the law is being contravened and the spirit is broken. I don't agree most fans of or others in football agree it should be broken. I think you would struggle to find many that think either the Everton or Newcastle pens were a correct decision.

I'm a bit confused when in your first post you say you have no problem with 10 pens a match but then say the number of pens now being given is ridiculous.

As regards the mist of time the offside rule has existed since 1863 and was only fundamentlly changed about 100 years ago. This is I believe true of all 17 Laws of the Game with only minor alterations.
    I meant ridiculous in terms of how the rule is supposed to be implemented at present and that it’s supposed to be deliberate handball!

If the rule was changed to mean any handball is then a 12 yard or 18 yard penalty then I have no problem at all.

The only way you can eradicate the argument as to whether it was or wasn’t a handball is to penalise it every time.

Fans would soon get used to it just like they did over the pass back rule.

As I've stated before, let's go back to intentional or unintentional no matter where the arm is. If the ref. isn't sure let him go to the monitor and look at it a couple of times and then make his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    As I've stated before, let's go back to intentional or unintentional no matter where the arm is. If the ref. isn't sure let him go to the monitor and look at it a couple of times and then make his decision.
    Nail on the head Leics simply nail on the head

I have to say I think the old rule of deliberate handball in the penalty box leading to a penalty was fine and should have been left alone.

Yes sometimes the ref didn’t appear to get it right but we can’t seem to get all the decisions right even now with the benefit of var. The high profile errors such as the Thierry Henry one for France versus Ireland no doubt led to the change. However the ref now has support via var and the video screen.

Will we get 100% correct decisions in the future, probably not, but the cost to the game of every time the ball hits an arm being penalised is a far worse outcome, even if, and that seems very unlikely, that the system would lead to 100% accuracy.

Let the ref use his judgement, after using the available support mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Nail on the head Leics simply nail on the head
    +1
    I was going to say the same but use ‘accidental’. However, ‘intentional’ is a better word.
    Clearly there will be situations that are unresolvable, even with screen reviews. Accordingly, in those instances, the ref must therefore take a view.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)