+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handball

Handball

So if the law means that the handball doesn’t count if we play on, why the heck didn’t we just stop playing once it was a handball and take the free kick

If they scored then it would have got reversed

The laws do not seem very clear to me and we are not taking advantage of them

I remember years ago when the you cannot be offside if you’re not technically interfering with play was used by big Sam and other teams to put the defence off by having a bloke way offside

Silly play from us really, shows immaturity and that clearance by Robson-Kanu absolute joke
    We need to just put our hands up and appeal now when it’s a blatant foul or handball

We need to go back to the original rule which stated it was an infringement if the hand strikes the ball and not the ball striking the hand. Simple!

Actually if you see the highlights about six players did appeal...... but to no avail. For me the handball ultimately lead to the goal as we should have had a free kick. I don’t understand the rules - especially when I saw the Man Utd v Brighton one given. I think they needed the cricket “Snick-o-meter” to work that one out as it hardly looked like he touched it. In the Chelsea case he clearly touched it.

Fair play to Woy yesterday who slammed the current ruling. Along with many others he wants to revert to the situation where handball is only given when it is a deliberate action.

They brought this rule in to help the refs who couldn't decide between deliberate and accidental. Need to go back to that though it is irking if an accidental handball leads to an opponents goal. Also I fear refs will favour the"big teams" if they are unsure.

Let’s not forget the rules in the premier league are different.
    VAR is a new tool to legitimise Bias.
    The interpretation is quite simple.
    Influential or highly fashionable sides must be given any advantage where possible. It must not be blatantly obvious that would cause uproar but equally just enough bias to influence the game.
    In the last two games good examples were the obvious hand ball yesterday.
    Then the Everton game where the player scored from back header and was clearly off side and was flagged immediately. Then every effort was made to legitimise the goal, including ignoring the fact that our player was fouled and whilst tumbling the ball grazed his shoulder. Decision Goal, arguable very much so but enough to legitimise the unfair outcome. Of course we lost 5 -2 but it was at a critical point in the game when we were actually the dominant side and it turned the game.

We must expect these decisions and get use to them.

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    Let’s not forget the rules in the premier league are different.
    VAR is a new tool to legitimise Bias.
    The interpretation is quite simple.
    Influential or highly fashionable sides must be given any advantage where possible. It must not be blatantly obvious that would cause uproar but equally just enough bias to influence the game.
    In the last two games good examples were the obvious hand ball yesterday.
    Then the Everton game where the player scored from back header and was clearly off side and was flagged immediately. Then every effort was made to legitimise the goal, including ignoring the fact that our player was fouled and whilst tumbling the ball grazed his shoulder. Decision Goal, arguable very much so but enough to legitimise the unfair outcome. Of course we lost 5 -2 but it was at a critical point in the game when we were actually the dominant side and it turned the game.

We must expect these decisions and get use to them.
    Spot on

It's now becoming a farce. How could the ref. give hand ball against Dyer for Newcatle's last minute penalty today and the referee not give handball against the Chelsea player yesterday. To my mind neither were handball. Never mind where the arm is, neither were intentional. The rule needs changing and now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    It's now becoming a farce. How could the ref. give hand ball against Dyer for Newcatle's last minute penalty today and the referee not give handball against the Chelsea player yesterday. To my mind neither were handball. Never mind where the arm is, neither were intentional. The rule needs changing and now.
    Crazy crazy decision..... even though it’s against Mourinho ..... players are now literally looking for innocuous handballs in the box now... even more than ever..... very poor decision this one .... along with a number of others this weekend.... I wonder whether the lack of a home crowd getting on the referees backs is impacting things

What's also horrible is that the officials now have incentive to ignore handballs, figuring that when play stops they can go back to VAR and make things right. So they let an obvious handball go, and then they decide that there's no remedy for us because the handball wasn't directly in the run up to the goal. Ugh. This is a mess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)