+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Formation

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    .........................Slocombe................. .....

Kelly-Evans...Rawlinson...Lacey....Chicksen

.................Doyle..........Reeves............ ....

Roberts.............Rodrigues..........Boldewijn

........................ Wootton.........................
    That's what I'd go for as well, assuming the plan is to play all of Roberts, Rodriguez, Enzio, and Wooton. At least here, all four are playing in their natural positions. And unlike 442, we can get away with our lack of dynamism in midfield with this system.

That said, I'd rather we'd just signed a couple of dynamic, ball-winning midfielders and stuck to 442. It's the best and simplest system for this level, and we have the strikers and wingers to make it work. Signing a player who can only really play in a non-442 formation (Rodriguez) was a very strange decision.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    That said, I'd rather we'd just signed a couple of dynamic, ball-winning midfielders and stuck to 442. It's the best and simplest system for this level, and we have the strikers and wingers to make it work. Signing a player who can only really play in a non-442 formation (Rodriguez) was a very strange decision.
    Ditto Sloth. We've not seen much of him yet, but the reports from Motherwell suggest he's not exactly a midfield grafter. I wouldn't accuse Rodrigues of being a lazy player based on what I've seen so far, but he's certainly more of a creative player than a defensive one, and I fear that a two-man central midfield with one or both of them in it would get overrun in the hurly-burly of the National League. They're better suited to compete for a central attacking midfield (No10) slot.

As I've said in previous posts, playing a 4-4-2 these days requires two absolute workhorses in centre-mid, because they will often be outnumbered. Neil Bishop and Ricky Ravenhill were the outstanding examples from our recent history. Bishop was the more creative player but would work and tackle too, while Ricky was the pitbull, happy simply to win the ball and give it to the more creative players.

Michael Doyle in his heyday was akin to Neil Bishop (probably better, given the levels he played at) and he's still incredibly fit for his age, but you can't expect him to carry that workload Saturday-Tuesday for several months. O'Brien's a fiery battler not dissimilar to Ravenhill, but again he's no spring chicken. And I've yet to decide how robust Reeves is, although I think he's probably better than he's shown so far and just needs game time and match-fitness. The bottom line though is that none of these players are likely to have the dynamism to replicate the job Bishop and Ravenhill once did so well for us.
    Last edited by jackal2; 27-09-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Well now Don Masson has finished writing his Memoirs, its time to invite him back to Skipper the side and gain his final Pies promotion to make it a full set.

Midfield was a problem last year and it looks like being an even bigger problem this year. I can't believe we offered Doyle a new contract at 39 and let Tom Crawford go - I think that one may come back to bite us (he set up a goal for Hartlepool in their 4-1 win at Gateshead yesterday, BTW).

We're desperate for energy and bite in the centre of the park. Someone like Ryan Yates - happy to do the ugly side of the game, get in the opponents' faces and also be a threat at set-pieces. I don't see anyone in this side capable of doing that. We look like a soft touch at the moment.

In his after-match interview yesterday, Ardley talked about how both Harrogate and York managed to get back into position quickly when they lost possession, making things harder for us - yet that was chiefly due to how slow we moved the ball and our lack of attacking intent. Neal, teams can jog back and still be into position to repel our attacks.

...............Slocombe
    ......Brindley Lacey Graham
    ................Doyle
    Roberts Reeves JOB Enzio
    .... Wootton Thomas

Not convinced by any of our midfield combinations and only Graham and Reeves get a start of our eight new signings. Rodriguess a bit unlucky as he's shown a bit but without a strong midfield a number 10 is a bit of a luxury and on what I've seen we don't have a strong midfield so are going to have to play three in there.
    Reeves and JOB would have to get up and down with Doyle dropping in to make a back four when under pressure.
    Perhaps it will all come good , Sloth and Reeves turn out to be plenty energetic enough, Knowles will score a shed load and we've worried for nothing but have to say I think the spine is weaker than last season and we'll have to get a loan or two in.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    ...............Slocombe
    ......Brindley Lacey Graham
    ................Doyle
    Roberts Reeves JOB Enzio
    .... Wootton Thomas

Not convinced by any of our midfield combinations and only Graham and Reeves get a start of our eight new signings. Rodriguess a bit unlucky as he's shown a bit but without a strong midfield a number 10 is a bit of a luxury and on what I've seen we don't have a strong midfield so are going to have to play three in there.
    Reeves and JOB would have to get up and down with Doyle dropping in to make a back four when under pressure.
    Perhaps it will all come good , Sloth and Reeves turn out to be plenty energetic enough, Knowles will score a shed load and we've worried for nothing but have to say I think the spine is weaker than last season and we'll have to get a loan or two in.
    Interesting one, but I'm not convinced about Enzio and Robert's in that formation. Too much tracking back. Also, the omission of Rawlinson for Brindley is a confusing one.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Interesting one, but I'm not convinced about Enzio and Robert's in that formation. Too much tracking back. Also, the omission of Rawlinson for Brindley is a confusing one.
    I like Rawlinson but if we were to play three we'd need the extra pace of Brindley and Graham. Never really seen Ardley go away from a back four though so it's academic.
    Enzio worked hard tracking back last season to be fair. If we play two up we really ought to get a few balls into them from out wide, pre season has seen us look dire going forwards with no width at all and I think he'll have to change it and completely abandon the diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    In his after-match interview yesterday, Ardley talked about how both Harrogate and York managed to get back into position quickly when they lost possession, making things harder for us - yet that was chiefly due to how slow we moved the ball and our lack of attacking intent. Neal, teams can jog back and still be into position to repel our attacks.
    Actually opposition players yesterday, could probably have queued at the nearest bus stop and still got back in plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    .........................Slocombe................. .....

Kelly-Evans...Rawlinson...Lacey....Chicksen

.................Doyle..........Reeves............ ....

Roberts.............Rodrigues..........Boldewijn

........................ Wootton.........................

I must say, a couple of tough choices there, because Sam Graham is a serious challenger for a central defensive role and likewise Jim O'Brien for a defensive midfield role, but I think Rawlinson and Lacey have earned their start based on last season's form, and I want to see how well Reeves does in a proper match.

From the signings Ardley made, I thought 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 was almost certainly the plan, so I'm baffled that he has been trying to shoehorn players into a variation of 4-4-2, but if pre-season has served no other purpose it has hopefully made him realise that's a mistake. If he wanted to stick with a flat 4-4-2 or play a diamond, he should have signed different players.

One thing I will say is that Ardley seems very much in favour of playing two up front, and to be fair a lot of supporters like to see that too. If so, then don't be surprised if he tries to resolve all of the conundrums above by playing a 3-5-2 like he did successfully at Barrow. That would put significant defensive responsibilities on the wide midfield players though. Are Roberts and Enzio up to that? Kelly-Evans is probably the player most capable of fulfilling both the attacking and defensive duties required of wide players in that formation.
    I think this is the best team suggested so far.

Doyle and JOB should share that role with us playing Sat - Tues - Sat etc. Good cover in defence, or if someone loses form, attacking options too. Bit worried though about depth in midfield. If Doyle or JOB get injured or suspended - who is there to drop in?

Get it out to Enzio and Roberts quickly when we can rather than tippy tappy along the back row every time. I was watching Spurs v Newcastle - Spurs could do that because Newcastle let them get into their own half before even attempting to get the ball. It won't be like that in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    I like Rawlinson but if we were to play three we'd need the extra pace of Brindley and Graham. Never really seen Ardley go away from a back four though so it's academic.
    Enzio worked hard tracking back last season to be fair. If we play two up we really ought to get a few balls into them from out wide, pre season has seen us look dire going forwards with no width at all and I think he'll have to change it and completely abandon the diamond.
    Yep, no questions there. Get rid of the diamond for sure. That formation doesn't make the best of Enzio and Roberts and is far too narrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast