+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Formation

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Actually opposition players yesterday, could probably have queued at the nearest bus stop and still got back in plenty of time.
    Even on a Sunday service.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Midfield was a problem last year and it looks like being an even bigger problem this year. I can't believe we offered Doyle a new contract at 39 and let Tom Crawford go - I think that one may come back to bite us (he set up a goal for Hartlepool in their 4-1 win at Gateshead yesterday, BTW).
    Ardley just doesn’t trust young players. And I think he’s scared of the more experienced players. Mind you, the way the local media arselick’s Doyle, I think everybody is scared of him. My own feeling is that we’ll never get anywhere while he’s still a regular in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Ardley just doesn’t trust young players. And I think he’s scared of the more experienced players. Mind you, the way the local media arselick’s Doyle, I think everybody is scared of him. My own feeling is that we’ll never get anywhere while he’s still a regular in the team.
    Agreed - I don't think we'll get anywhere this season if Doyle plays most of the games (when he's not suspended, of course).

The last two games have shown teams how to beat us - not that it was exactly a closely guarded secret: either employ the high press or flood the midfield with a 3-5-2. We'll barely cross the halfway line in either case, and definitely won't be muddying the keeper's kit.

Please prove me wrong from next week, Notts!

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Agreed - I don't think we'll get anywhere this season if Doyle plays most of the games (when he's not suspended, of course).

The last two games have shown teams how to beat us - not that it was exactly a closely guarded secret: either employ the high press or flood the midfield with a 3-5-2. We'll barely cross the halfway line in either case, and definitely won't be muddying the keeper's kit.

Please prove me wrong from next week, Notts!
    Tactically I think you're right. When teams do either of these things we've got to be capable of varying our approach, by going more direct and/or matching the midfield numbers, because we haven't got the type of midfielders who can overcome being outnumbered.

I wouldn't pick Michael Doyle out as being 'a problem', because he's remarkably fit and mobile for his age and he clearly retains a fair amount of ability. I wouldn't have re-signed him, but given that he was, I think he has enough left to be a useful squad member. But I agree Ardley shouldn't be selecting and relying on him as much as he did last season. Giving Doyle a rest here and there would probably enable him to perform better when he does play.

What I would say is that for a player who is lauded for his experience and influence on the team, I didn't see any evidence of that from Doyle when we needed it most in the games against Harrogate. He looks as lost as the rest when things aren't going our way.
    Last edited by jackal2; 28-09-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    .........................Slocombe................. .....

Kelly-Evans...Rawlinson...Lacey....Chicksen

.................Doyle..........Reeves............ ....

Roberts.............Rodrigues..........Boldewijn

........................ Wootton.........................

I must say, a couple of tough choices there, because Sam Graham is a serious challenger for a central defensive role and likewise Jim O'Brien for a defensive midfield role, but I think Rawlinson and Lacey have earned their start based on last season's form, and I want to see how well Reeves does in a proper match.

From the signings Ardley made, I thought 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 was almost certainly the plan, so I'm baffled that he has been trying to shoehorn players into a variation of 4-4-2, but if pre-season has served no other purpose it has hopefully made him realise that's a mistake. If he wanted to stick with a flat 4-4-2 or play a diamond, he should have signed different players.

One thing I will say is that Ardley seems very much in favour of playing two up front, and to be fair a lot of supporters like to see that too. If so, then don't be surprised if he tries to resolve all of the conundrums above by playing a 3-5-2 like he did successfully at Barrow. That would put significant defensive responsibilities on the wide midfield players though. Are Roberts and Enzio up to that? Kelly-Evans is probably the player most capable of fulfilling both the attacking and defensive duties required of wide players in that formation.
    I like this one, might as well give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    .........................Slocombe................. .....

Kelly-Evans...Rawlinson...Lacey....Chicksen

.................Doyle..........Reeves............ ....

Roberts.............Rodrigues..........Boldewijn

........................ Wootton.........................
    I'd play O'Brien instead of Doyle; Brindley instead of Kelly-Evans (I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't think DKE is good enough - dreadful first touch and I've yet to see him put a decent cross in. Yes, he's committed, but that should be the minimum requirement for everyone); and Sloth (if fit) in place of Rodrigues. No idea if Sloth is any good, of course, but Rodrigues seems a little too raw to throw into the first team at the moment and so I'm clutching at straws.

Some players are going to be playing an awful lot of Saturday-Tuesday double-headers this season, I think. Only player I'd call unlucky not to be making the first XI here is Sam Graham.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123