+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammers Matchday Thread

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Calm down lads, this is our pre season. We have had three superb seasons under Nuno and we are now looking to change our system and transend and evolve. Three of last seasons regulars were missing and two of this seasons squad were not available. By my calculation that is virtually a 50% difference from last season.

Nuno must have had his reasons for letting Doherty leave. Jota, who we received a terrific fee for was becoming a bit part player. On his day he was fantastic, however, he rarely played the full ninety minutes, often on as a sub. Johnny is at the moment a big miss, and the way Podence has started, also effected our play yesterday.

West Ham, at the start of the month would have been seen as a side nailed on for relegation, however, after their performance against Arsenal, their confidence was on a high. Their first goal was a freak really, although well taken.. Atkinson let the Hammers take a quick free kick while one of our defenders was being pinned down on the half way line by a West Ham forward. Once the home side scored, they could sit back, defend and virtually say, "At the moment we have 3 points come and try and break us down".

They did this well and used our old system of hitting teams on the break. They bullied us at the back and our defenders who have been so good for several years suffered. It was our heaviest defeat for eight years...

We had much more possession than them but the statistic that mattered was that they scored four goals.

It will take time for the new lads to settle in, to gain an understanding and become a unit. They will, and you can put yesterday down to a bad day at the office.

Again I thought Neto had a good game and the subs that came on did well. However, I do think we are a better team with Dendoncker in the side. We have played four games now, winning one and loosing three including the Cup. Scoring three and conceding eight, not good for one of the best defences in the League last year.

On the bright side you could be a Manchester City supporter.
    Agree with most of this Abbo.

I worry a little about our change in style, we were a superb counter attacking side this transition into a side that presses higher may lead to some heavy defeats as we'll be more exposed at the back... I suppose we just have to have faith in Nuno and the players in the short term.

Last season we had 4 points after 6 games and finished 7th. it is frustrating, but I think Abbo has summed it up perfectly.

Abbo', many thanks for a well structured summation of how things stand at the present time - you rarely disappoint, mate. However, I hope you'll forgive me if, again, I make mention of our seeming preparedness to invite opposing teams to ' have a go at us' during the first half of a game (surely, it has happened too often to be deemed a coincidence) It is all very well being confidant of our ability to overcome any deficit before games end, but why encourage unnecessary pressure ? I'd be the last person to question Nuno's ability, but, frankly, the need for such practice has me puzzled. Call me old-fahioned if you will (and you probably will), but I still believe that in football, as in life, you should never give a mug an even break, not to mention the old adage that 'áttack is the best form of defence'. Our defence against West Ham was a complete capitulation of everything (defence-wise) we have sought to adopt under Nuno's guidance. If, such practice is to become the preferred model for future 'game plans' then heaven help us.

Grizz, If I knew the answer to why we continue to start slowly I could be a manager earning thousands. It may be a nation thing. Britain have always produced fighters, 'up and at em', get stuck in, put a shift in etc, . However, we only have one Brit in our starting line up.

Continental Europe have a different philosophy to Britain, France for instance have a laid back attitude of "Don't do today what you can do tomorrow". I know we only have one Frenchman in the side but for all I know the guys from Portugal and Spain may be similar.

What I do know is that the young European players have a different attitude, a skillset and maturity that most of the British youngsters are lacking. If we are still in the bottom half of the league in March, I will start to worry, however, I feel confident that we won't be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)