+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Lewis Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    In this case, one that made his debut for the club less than two months ago. You're not only supposed to know if they drink or not, but also how they feel about having it on them amidst a celebration? Seriously?
    Maybe the other player did know and his intent was akin to placing a pig's head outside his front door, but my strong suspicion is that he was simply being inclusive by involving his Muslim colleague in the celebrations and he doesn't deserve to have his face and name plastered all over the media, with the obvious risks involved - seeing that there is a fanatical element to this religion in this country.
    I certainly think you would have an idea, yes. It really is not difficult, especially given at the time he would not have picked up one of the many alcoholic drinks on offer.

The player in question has not had his name plastered all over the media at all. As far as I can see (with some digging) it's just the Es*** captain has apologised on behalf of the team. I am struggling to actually name the player.

You seem to be looking for something here to be offended by - it's really a non-story that has received very little media attention whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I certainly think you would have an idea, yes. It really is not difficult, especially given at the time he would not have picked up one of the many alcoholic drinks on offer.

The player in question has not had his name plastered all over the media at all. As far as I can see (with some digging) it's just the Es*** captain has apologised on behalf of the team. I am struggling to actually name the player.

You seem to be looking for something here to be offended by - it's really a non-story that has received very little media attention whatsoever.
    It was the lead story on the talkSport bulletin yesterday, which prompted me to google it on the internet because I couldn't quite believe what I heard and then found it was prominently placed on the BBC News site, to the right of the main story with the picture re-posted. ITV ran with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    It was the lead story on the talkSport bulletin yesterday, which prompted me to google it on the internet because I couldn't quite believe what I heard and then found it was prominently placed on the BBC News site, to the right of the main story with the picture re-posted. ITV ran with it as well.
    I really don't understand why people listen to talksport. It really is the worst way to kill time until your ultimate demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I really don't understand why people listen to talksport. It really is the worst way to kill time until your ultimate demise.
    That's a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I never knew I had to like and agree with everything a British ( and a world champion to boot) says or does. Just as well I didn't agree with Tyson Fury's views a few years back.
    Clearly you don’t agree with what he does as you don’t like him winning.

As to the rest. What has him not winning got to do with his views and actions outside of the race? That’s the bit I don’t get.

If you don’t like him, don’t like his political opinions, don’t like the way he walks or acts, what does that have to do with his performance as a British driver?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Clearly you don’t agree with what he does as you don’t like him winning.

As to the rest. What has him not winning got to do with his views and actions outside of the race? That’s the bit I don’t get.

If you don’t like him, don’t like his political opinions, don’t like the way he walks or acts, what does that have to do with his performance as a British driver?
    I think you will find it is human nature that if you dislike someone for whatever reason more often than not you hope he loses.
    Tyson Fury was a world champion but 3/4 years ago was a horrible person and I and I'm sure others hoped he got beat.
    Knowing what I know about him now and the way he is my opinion has changed.
    Seb Coe was a great athlete but I couldn't stand him and hoped he would lose, the same with McEnroe in tennis.

McEnroe said this: Everybody loves success, but they hate successful people.

He’s not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I think you will find it is human nature that if you dislike someone for whatever reason more often than not you hope he loses.
    Tyson Fury was a world champion but 3/4 years ago was a horrible person and I and I'm sure others hoped he got beat.
    Seb Coe was a great athlete but I couldn't stand him and hoped he would lose, the same with McEnroe in tennis.
    Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Does seem a bit petty. But perhaps I’m struggling as I don’t really dislike anyone that much. (Well Sid aside)

Particularly people I’ve never met and like you stated with Fury, that there is a “media” version of which may or may not be real.

Lewis Hamilton is a black man in a sport which is almost entirely and at the very least predominantly white. He has risen up from humble beginnings to be the greatest F1 racer in history. His family and he himself will have made great personal sacrifices to achieve that and that has included dealing with significant sometimes very open rascism at his place of work. (Spain GP when he was at Maclaren)

He’s famous worldwide and outside of the race is using that to promote awareness of something he clearly believes strongly in, and is doing this “outside” of the race. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    McEnroe said this: Everybody loves success, but they hate successful people.

He’s not wrong.
    True. But probably more because of the levels you probably have to go to and sacrifices you have to make to attain that success, for many that has a downside, which can be their image in the media, whether true or not....

I've got no interest in Formula 1 or Lewis Hamilton but hasn't he been a tax exile for a while now? If so that would confirm the perception that a lot of people have about modern day activism - namely that it often means self-aggrandisement, token gestures, but little serious thought or concrete action.

As far as I'm aware in the last few months Hamilton has:

Worn BLM t-shirts
    Knelt
    Called other drivers racists for 'only' wearing generic anti-racism t-shirts
    Driven a black car

According to Google he earns around 50 million pounds per year. Given that even BFP has now seen the light regarding there being more than meets the eye to the ' the cops are racist so only kill black people' narrative in the US, and has accepted that a large part of the problem is that, for a number of reasons, economic and therefore social deprivation.

Let's say the UK chancellor has had 200 million pounds less to spend over the past ten years because of Hamilton's decision to move to Monaco. That money could have kept a lot of youth clubs open during austerity.

Would he have made more difference to young black lives by saying nothing but paying his taxes, rather than engaging in all the symbolism but going to great lengths to avoid paying tax in his country of birth? That's an interesting hypothetical question.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast