+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Matt Hancock

Matt Hancock

Mr Hancock was on BBC on Friday 18th September saying,

"We have seen an acceleration in the number of cases over the last couple of weeks and we’ve also sadly seen that the number of people hospitalised with coronavirus is doubling about every eight days, so we do need to take action."

Mr Hancock is Health Secretary and so has access to the latest accurate figures, there should be no reason to doubt what he says, but I don't really trust our politicians anymore so I thought I'd check his figures, it's easy enough, anyone can do it on the GOV.UK website. The number of positive tests/cases is certainly increasing, that's indisputable, but what about the number in hospital doubling every 8 days ? I checked back two periods of 8 days from the 18th September, which is the date he said they were doubling every 8 days, to the 2nd and 10th September.

On the 2nd there were 425 cases in hospital in England, if the numbers were doubling every 8 days on September 10th there would have been 850 in hospital, in fact there were 553, the number had nowhere near doubled.

If the 553 in hospital on 10 September had doubled in 8 days, on September 18th there would have been 1,106 in hospital, in fact there were 988, an increase but well short of doubling.

Move on 8 days from Mr Hancock's claim, and if the 988 in hospital on the 18th had doubled there would have been 1,976 in hospital yesterday the 26th, in fact there were 1,622, again an increase but still not close to doubling. If you go back to the 2nd September and accept Mr Hancock's claim, there would now be 3,400 people in hospital with Covid, but the actual figure is as stated, less than half that, 1,622.

Liar, Liar, pants on fire.

this bunch of fraudulent and deceptive shysters are well used to cooking the numbers - Sinkov....you know that, nothing new there - whats astounding is that they can be so blatant with their trickery - and seem to be getting away with it.
    But as said before - all any need do is look around themselves, who they know, from their own experience... not what some cheating scam artist in a suit and an agenda tells us.

English is not my first language Sinkov. But for me hospitalised is people put in hospital, not the number of people in hospital. Is that wrong? So an increase from 425 to 3600 would mean that no one was let out of the hospital during that time. There could in my head be a constant number of 500 in hospital every week if the number hospitalised was the same number that was let out. I’m I wrong?

Hancock is talking about the actual number of people in hospital on any given day who have tested positive for Covid Will, so the number fluctuates daily, new cases are admitted while at the other end patients get well enough to be discharged, or sadly they die. The numbers in hospital are increasing, as it was known and expected they would come Autumn, but they are by no means doubling every 8 days as Hancock claimed.

They still think that most of the British public are gullible with all these U turns and lie's Sinkov, the sooner we do our own research (like your good self) the sooner they will be honest. . . . . . . . . . . . but don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    They still think that most of the British public are gullible with all these U turns and lie's Sinkov, the sooner we do our own research (like your good self) the sooner they will be honest. . . . . . . . . . . . but don't hold your breath.
    alto ----honest and politicians should not be used in the same sentence --they are incompatible!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    alto ----honest and politicians should not be used in the same sentence --they are incompatible!
    Misnomer examples Supersub6. Police & intelligence. Honest & politicians. Recruitment & Burnley FC.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)