+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The penalty

The penalty

Personally, can't see why so many are bleating on about it being a penalty - it clearly was in my opnion. Irrespective of the latest rules, I recall us conceding a penalty years back (Sir Bobby era?) for exactly the same thing - one of our defenders jumping, turning his back, throwing his arm up and the ball hits it; same thing here.

Maybe it's my cynicism coupled with dislike for Dier, but I think he meant to hoy his arm up and tried to con us by "how can it be a pen if he has his back to the ball?"!! He did in earlier in the game which wasn't so clear cut and didn't get punished.

Further, IMHO, it can't be claimed his arm up was for jumping leverage - he was already at the highest point of his jump - unless the lad has learned to fly to keep him up..??

Interested to hear other views though...
    Stay safe all.

ps I'm not detracting from a p*ss poor team and a completely inept manager - what we're witnessing is not football in any shape or form. Bruce out

aye, we even have our own manager saying they need to get it sorted out ( wasn't a penalty) he'll not be so sure if they decide to sort it immediately and takee off our point and give spuds 3 ( as well as changing any other points gained or lost because of the same rule - so far this season) they would have to adjust scores so far unless they said change happens for next season. can't have a rule change mid season - unfair

Quote Originally Posted by Toonsteve View Post
    Personally, can't see why so many are bleating on about it being a penalty - it clearly was in my opnion. Irrespective of the latest rules, I recall us conceding a penalty years back (Sir Bobby era?) for exactly the same thing - one of our defenders jumping, turning his back, throwing his arm up and the ball hits it; same thing here.

Maybe it's my cynicism coupled with dislike for Dier, but I think he meant to hoy his arm up and tried to con us by "how can it be a pen if he has his back to the ball?"!! He did in earlier in the game which wasn't so clear cut and didn't get punished.

Further, IMHO, it can't be claimed his arm up was for jumping leverage - he was already at the highest point of his jump - unless the lad has learned to fly to keep him up..??

Interested to hear other views though...
    Stay safe all.

ps I'm not detracting from a p*ss poor team and a completely inept manager - what we're witnessing is not football in any shape or form. Bruce out
    For the sake of consistency to all, a definitive rule change is needed to remove any doubt. I would favor a rule that ANY contact with the hand or arm is a penalty, period.
    So, for example, a ball blasted at a defender from 1 meter hitting his arm, which was close to his body and with the defender not looking would be a penalty.
    This may seem unfair but it would be the same for everyone and make decision making consistent. VAR would only be needed to check contact of the ball with the arm/hand.

Well we had a penalty given against us a few years back. Nothing said.
    Name:  20200928_135932.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  57.7 KB

Not much different to yesterday is it. Was against us so its fine. The pics are similar are they not.
    Name:  20200928_135936.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  27.8 KB

Wasn’t the one against us awarded by the legendary Mike Dean?

Quote Originally Posted by bix01 View Post
    Wasn’t the one against us awarded by the legendary Mike Dean?
    Not sure mate. Can't even take credit for the pics. Nicked them off twitter

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)