+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England at Euro 96

England at Euro 96

Anyone feel England should have won Euro 96 rather than could have?

It was a tournament between eras. Some fading teams: Italy without Baresi or R.Baggio, Hagi-era Romania past their peak, M Laudrup-era Denmark past theirs too. Also featuring some teams just before their peak: most obviously Zidane-era France but also Croatia, Spain and Figo-era Portugal.

Venables was a brilliant coach but IMO made some selection errors. David Platt was way past his best & shouldn't have been included in the squad, let alone two knock-out starting XIs. Maybe Matt Le Tissier should have been challenging Teddy Sheringham for his starting spot? Le Tiss never missed penalties, which would have been very helpful. Elsewhere in the squad, Phil Neville was too young and Steve Stone never international class. Nick Barmby was also coming off the back of a poor season at Spurs, albeit was a quality player.

Pre-tournament injuries to Graeme Le Saux, Gary Pallister and Rob Jones were unfortunate as all were worthy of the squad and probably the starting XI too. Jamie Redknapp's injury during the tournament was also a big blow as he certainly would have been a better pick than Platt for the knock-outs.

Venables used a 3-5-2, which was probably the right formation. But he could have gone with 3 centre-halves rather than one (Adams) with two converted full-backs. Steve Bould certainly could have brought experience and class.

David Batty was criminally omitted and could have sat alongside Paul Ince, freeing Gascoinge to roam further upfield, as he was England's one player with the technique to operate in tight spaces on the edge of the area. Maybe Paul Merson should have been included as understudy?

At wing-back, a winger/full-back combination would have worked well. Steve McManaman on his natural right side always looked a far better player than Darren Anderton to me. In Le Saux's absence, maybe Andy Hinchcliffe could have done a job.

Up front Shearer was the right call and Robbie Fowler excellent back-up. But Ian Wright should have also been in the squad for his nouse, passion and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by uknihilist View Post
    Anyone feel England should have won Euro 96 rather than could have?

It was a tournament between eras. Some fading teams: Italy without Baresi or R.Baggio, Hagi-era Romania past their peak, M Laudrup-era Denmark past theirs too. Also featuring some teams just before their peak: most obviously Zidane-era France but also Croatia, Spain and Figo-era Portugal.

Venables was a brilliant coach but IMO made some selection errors. David Platt was way past his best & shouldn't have been included in the squad, let alone two knock-out starting XIs. Maybe Matt Le Tissier should have been challenging Teddy Sheringham for his starting spot? Le Tiss never missed penalties, which would have been very helpful. Elsewhere in the squad, Phil Neville was too young and Steve Stone never international class. Nick Barmby was also coming off the back of a poor season at Spurs, albeit was a quality player.

Pre-tournament injuries to Graeme Le Saux, Gary Pallister and Rob Jones were unfortunate as all were worthy of the squad and probably the starting XI too. Jamie Redknapp's injury during the tournament was also a big blow as he certainly would have been a better pick than Platt for the knock-outs.

Venables used a 3-5-2, which was probably the right formation. But he could have gone with 3 centre-halves rather than one (Adams) with two converted full-backs. Steve Bould certainly could have brought experience and class.

David Batty was criminally omitted and could have sat alongside Paul Ince, freeing Gascoinge to roam further upfield, as he was England's one player with the technique to operate in tight spaces on the edge of the area. Maybe Paul Merson should have been included as understudy?

At wing-back, a winger/full-back combination would have worked well. Steve McManaman on his natural right side always looked a far better player than Darren Anderton to me. In Le Saux's absence, maybe Andy Hinchcliffe could have done a job.

Up front Shearer was the right call and Robbie Fowler excellent back-up. But Ian Wright should have also been in the squad for his nouse, passion and experience.
    Excellent post.
    I remember getting knocked out oh too well.
    I was living in Cirencester at the time. Quite a sleepy middle class town.
    I took the defeat on the chin and realised we were unlucky.
    I was in to jogging at the time and was dressed for it so I could go after the match ended.
    I did and was shocked to see the sleepy neighbourhood coming out of their doors swearing and kicking things

Hahaha Only a game innit? Is it ****

I wish Wrighty got more of a shout but he was out of favour. Funny ol game as Greavsie once said. He also said Swindon fans are innocent