+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friday night: Killie v 'Well

Game off: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/10/02/k

Interesting we use the word cancelled rather than postponed?

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    It looks very likely that, probably for months to come, this situation will crop up again and again. I have absolutely no idea how a consistent and fair way of dealing with it can be found. Already the Buddies were ordered to find a goalie somewhere and get on with it; now Killie have been excused duties. The latter approach avoids some potential banana skins - can you see one of the teams in an OF derby being told to take the field with half of their first choices in quarantine? - but equally potentially stores up a whole heap of unplayed matches. This is not likely to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by dazlhigh View Post
    It looks very likely that, probably for months to come, this situation will crop up again and again. I have absolutely no idea how a consistent and fair way of dealing with it can be found. Already the Buddies were ordered to find a goalie somewhere and get on with it; now Killie have been excused duties. The latter approach avoids some potential banana skins - can you see one of the teams in an OF derby being told to take the field with half of their first choices in quarantine? - but equally potentially stores up a whole heap of unplayed matches. This is not likely to end well.
    There was no way Killie could play today - they had no first team left and apparently youths don't get tested so under current rules wouldn't have been eligible.

I'm relaxed either way and certainly tonight safety comes first so no game. But...if this counts as precedent, it's likely we'll have problems when this happens again. And if it happens to two, three, four teams at the same? If it happens to the same team two or three times? If it happens late April or May? If everyone says they're entitled to a postponement and not forfeit, how on earth will the season be concluded?

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    There was no way Killie could play today - they had no first team left and apparently youths don't get tested so under current rules wouldn't have been eligible.

I'm relaxed either way and certainly tonight safety comes first so no game. But...if this counts as precedent, it's likely we'll have problems when this happens again. And if it happens to two, three, four teams at the same? If it happens to the same team two or three times? If it happens late April or May? If everyone says they're entitled to a postponement and not forfeit, how on earth will the season be concluded?
    It should never have started.

That begs the question of how many clubs would be left to start next season?

I actually think football has done ok so far but not preparing in advance for some of these inevitable scenarios means there will be confusion every couple of weeks.

Given its being reported that the 2 League Cup games will be forfeited, and assuming thats true this far in advance, then the very game that got hit on Friday should also be forfeited. Our team needs all the help it can get and I wouldn't say no to it -- it's not like the fans are missing a game to go watch. Online sucks in comparison to being there. Show me the points, I'd take them!

If Killie and/or their players broke the rules and were infected as a result I think we'll be awarded the points.

If they can show it was just bad luck, it's 50-50. On a one-off case you say rearrange for sure but that would be setting the standard for the rest of the season unless they make some very random qualifiers...which has the potential for utter chaos later on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)