+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dane reflects

Dane reflects

Just ask chief executive officer Dane Murphy.

On the pitch, the Reds have endured a disappointing start to the new league season compounded by the fact that their quest to bring in a couple of new attacking players has hit a brick wall.

Fresh speculation regarding the future of head coach Gerhard Struber is something the club needed like a hole in the head.

Away from it, Barnsley are coping with the financial fall-out of no fans probably being allowed into grounds until next year.

There is also an ongoing dispute between the club’s majority shareholders, BFC Investment Company and the Cryne family – who own 20 per cent of the club – after the minority shareholders said they were forced into legal action for payment of £2.75m as a ‘last resort’ after failing to receive monies owed after the sale of the club in late 2017.

If that is not enough, the club are embroiled in a row over the purchase of Oakwell and have spoken with other clubs about a potential move away if the situation is not resolved satisfactorily.

To the outsider, it would suggest the club is lurching towards crisis – just nine weeks on from those unforgettable scenes when the Reds triumphed at Brentford in the most dramatic end to a Championship season that you could ever imagine.

On reports that the club could potentially relocate, Murphy told The Yorkshire Post: “Things are always blown out of proportion when they are leaked online or to the media. Some things are true and others are completely false.

“What I can say is that it is obvious – and confirmed on both sides – that there is a dispute between the majority and minority shareholders over the land and we are trying to find a means to an end, so all parties remain whole (satisfied).

“That includes the town of Barnsley (Barnsley Council) who own 50 per cent of the land. The sooner we all have a resolution, the better for everyone involved.

“I cannot go into any details, but there have been discussions with other clubs and stadium owners about Barnsley and they have called our ownership and have had discussions.

“The main crux of the issue is that because a land deal has not been struck and they (majority shareholders) don’t own the land, the yearly rent and the maintenance costs continue to pile up and it is what they see as a hindrance to the growth of the club.

“It is significant enough that it draws down on our capabilities.”

In fiscally-challenging times, Barnsley’s revenue streams have been hit and if it was not for the outstanding backing of supporters purchasing season tickets, the club would be in a much worse situation, according to Murphy.

But the spectre of games continuing to be played in front of empty stadiums for the majority of 2020-21 represents a living nightmare for Barnsley and countless other clubs.

On the phased return of fans having been paused, Murphy said: “It was another body blow. But I have to tip my hat to my staff who are continuing to forge forward with plans for getting our fans back in and making sure that when the day falls, then there is no hesitation on our part and we can get fans back in straightaway.

“It has been a focal point of our drive this season. The fans have shown us a loyalty and appreciation that very few clubs have and we have to repay them.

“I would say we are in a better position than we were in June and July, thanks to our support, community and town for really backing us and buying season tickets in a way we thought was never imaginable.

“Thankfully, the club is in a decent position right now and we want to invest in our squad. Some projections are saying there will be no fans until March, but I think that is a bit heavy. I am no expert, but am hoping fans will be back before that.

“But you always have to plan and have a contingency for the worst-case scenario and we have plans in place. Has it affected our budgets? Yes, it has affected everyone’s.

“But we are in a place where if we can make the correct decisions, then the club will not be in any financial peril.

“I cannot put an exact figure on it (Barnsley losses). I need my CFO in the room to do so and I kind of even don’t want to know at this point. But at some point, if this continues to drag on, it will become a serious issue for not just our club, but the sport as a whole. That is the greatest concern.”

On what football must do to provide solutions to its greatest crisis, Murphy believes that a collaborative approach is key.

He said: “It cannot fall on any one body – the Government or EFL board. It has to be by working together. If not, I fear for the sport as a whole.

“It has to be in the minds of the EFL, Government and Premier League and from what I understand, there is plenty of dialogue to see what kind of financial measures can be taken to make sure the pyramid survives.”

It has to be in the minds of EFL, Government and Premier League & the season ticket purchases but no mention of the owners dipping into their pockets
    Disgraceful

More warm words from Dane for fans as the club owners seek to put their protective arms round everything.

Dane confirms they are looking at other grounds to play home fixtures with little concern for its effect on fans, match day jobs and the local economy on match days.

Most of income from fans has already been gathered in via Seasonal Memberships, 8000 sold we are told. The fact we are playing behind closed doors will not make much financial difference as most of any extra match ticket income will be swallowed up by costs of turnstile staff, stewards and police. The "financial peril" will not affect Barnsley as much as many clubs as we already have our £6 million share of TV income and fans have already stumped up for Seasonal Memberships.

The cost of renting the ground plus the usual maintenance contribution in commercial contracts will have been known when it was signed this year and the general arrangement will have been known when they bought the club.

The fact the 80% have reneged on paying what they agreed when buying the club was glossed over

As Ziles says above the owner's view seems to be that everyone else should put money in to keep the club going--fans, Govt, EFl, Premier League-- but with one glaring exception--themselves.

" Puppet onna string "

Bullshyters lot on em.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    More warm words from Dane for fans as the club owners seek to put their protective arms round everything.

Dane confirms they are looking at other grounds to play home fixtures with little concern for its effect on fans, match day jobs and the local economy on match days.

Most of income from fans has already been gathered in via Seasonal Memberships, 8000 sold we are told. The fact we are playing behind closed doors will not make much financial difference as most of any extra match ticket income will be swallowed up by costs of turnstile staff, stewards and police. The "financial peril" will not affect Barnsley as much as many clubs as we already have our £6 million share of TV income and fans have already stumped up for Seasonal Memberships.

The cost of renting the ground plus the usual maintenance contribution in commercial contracts will have been known when it was signed this year and the general arrangement will have been known when they bought the club.

The fact the 80% have reneged on paying what they agreed when buying the club was glossed over

As Ziles says above the owner's view seems to be that everyone else should put money in to keep the club going--fans, Govt, EFl, Premier League-- but with one glaring exception--themselves.
    We have to remember of course that 20% of the ownership are the Crynes
    Bit awkward that innit?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    We have to remember of course that 20% of the ownership are the Crynes
    Bit awkward that innit?
    Awkward for whom Ziles ?

Lee and Conway are Co Chairmen and their Consortium own 80% of the shares so can vote through whatever decisions they like.

They can even vote through to renege on payments they agreed to pay the Cryne family to buy the club. They can try to play games elsewhere to avoid paying the rental to play games at Oakwell owned by the Crynes and the Council.
    I doubt James Cryne uses his 20% share vote for these things to be done.

C'mon now SB the Crynes could come out publiclly & tell us what their views are on how the 80%ers are conducting themselves running the club
    They have spoken up recently but that was solely to do with the monies owed to them, so they do have a voice but have you heard any condemnation /disagreement on say the threat to play games away from Oakwell for instance
    Not living locally I may have missed any news on this front in which case let me apologise for any inaccuracy

They said they were fully committed to the clubs future of playing at Oakwell Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    They said they were fully committed to the clubs future of playing at Oakwell Stadium
    Stirring stuff then?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast