+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Business as usual for Struber

Business as usual for Struber

BUSINESS as usual remains the mantra at Barnsley, with head coach Gerhard Struber continuing to prepare his side ahead of Saturday's Championship encounter at Middlesbrough - despite intense speculation over his future.

The Austrian, 43, has been the subject of an approach from MLS franchise New York Red Bulls who have earmarked him to replace Chris Armas, who was sacked earlier this month.

Struber has a buy-out clause in his Oakwell deal allowing him to speak to rival clubs if a set fee is met.

Weekend reports in his native Austria said that Struber - who moved to Barnsley from Wolfsberger AC last November - had agreed a deal to take over.

But for the time being, Struber is taking training ahead of the weekend trip to Boro.

After Saturday's trip to the Riverside, Barnsley have a fortnight off due to the international break with their next Championship fixture being against Bristol City at Oakwell on October 17.

Speaking about his future after last Saturday's game with Coventry, Struber said: "At the moment I am here as coach and we will see what the future brings. Right now, my focus and concentration is on my boys.

"I am here. I am the head coach here and I have the responsibility. Many people around me and in the media write about interest from other clubs. At the moment, this is not a new one. I have the focus here and this is my job."

Struber has connections with the Red Bull franchise of football teams, having ended his playing career at Red Bull Salzburg and starting his coaching career with the club.

He could well go during the two week International Break. Managers often go during these periods.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    He could well go during the two week International Break. Managers often go during these periods.
    Gives him chance to have a nice little holiday before he takes the hot seat.

same old same old though! He hasnt actually come out and said he doesnt want the job, so in a nutshell it will now be down to personal terms not being satisfactory.

Dont get me wrong, I like Struber , but if I'm not mistaken this is the second time in 2 months he's wanted away (Watford being the other). It is getting to a point where we have a manager who seemingly isn't committed and will jump ship at the earliest opportunity - is this really the example the club want guiding the players? If he were to stay how the hell can he try and tell a player not to leave when he is in the same boat as them? He is slowly losing my respect and I dare say the players' - I would put him on gardening leave at this stage and if he doesnt get the RBNY gig, then he has ultimately blown it for his current job.

Lets be fair 1 decent season in the Championship is worth 10 cracking seasons in the MLS as the standard is absolutely pants and in the US is about their 6th choice of sport. So it clearly has to be a financial, lifestyle choice as it certainly isn't a good career move in terms of ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post
    same old same old though! He hasnt actually come out and said he doesnt want the job, so in a nutshell it will now be down to personal terms not being satisfactory.

Dont get me wrong, I like Struber , but if I'm not mistaken this is the second time in 2 months he's wanted away (Watford being the other). It is getting to a point where we have a manager who seemingly isn't committed and will jump ship at the earliest opportunity - is this really the example the club want guiding the players? If he were to stay how the hell can he try and tell a player not to leave when he is in the same boat as them? He is slowly losing my respect and I dare say the players' - I would put him on gardening leave at this stage and if he doesnt get the RBNY gig, then he has ultimately blown it for his current job.

Lets be fair 1 decent season in the Championship is worth 10 cracking seasons in the MLS as the standard is absolutely pants and in the US is about their 6th choice of sport. So it clearly has to be a financial, lifestyle choice as it certainly isn't a good career move in terms of ambition.
    alleged, financial/lifestyle choice!

Strubes may wish to get back in the Red Bull Group and switch across to RB Salzburg in some role fairly quickly. He was only at his previous club 5 months before coming here and then at Barnsley 10 months if he goes. Not a "stayer".

Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post

Sadly the head coach has absolutely no say in whether a player stays or goes. The suits upstairs see the pound notes and a player is sold irrespective of the head coaches feelings. I'm certain that Struber would've wanted to keep Jacob Brown. Isn't it ironic how we've struggled to make an impact in the final third without Brown? Massive blunder in my opinion selling him for peanuts.

Our head coach is like any other ambitous human being. He wants a better job and better salary. Let's not kid ourselves, we're just a stepping stone for head coaches and players alike. This model the club operates on sets the precedent for the mass turnover of players and head coaches. Nowt will ever get a chance to be established. About the only thing that will remain constant at this club is the owners.

Nice thought to absorb isn't it.

No mate we are a tinpot championship club operating on high end league 1 budget I'm sorry to say. I still can't get over the sale of Brown for dogshyte money, unbelievable. Whilever we continue to sell players at the drop of a hat instead of holding onto them and nurturing them, we will remain relegation contenders at this level.

I've just lost interest. I find football insipid and the things associated with it very annoying. There's so much more going on in the world.