+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sloth departs (quite quickly)

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    yeah, good luck to him, I can understand...
    but if recruitment had got it right we wouldn't have wasted our time with him - can't even say 'worth a punt' with a player of that type
    Even with Football Radar they are not going to get recruitment right 100% of the time, Brentford don't get their recruitment right 100% of the time.

I thought at the time that this was a odd signing. An ex-Denmark international who is clearly talented ends up in non-league football. OK then. It seems pretty obvious the problem is his attitude or mentality, not his technical ability, which makes this nothing more than a gamble (which hasn't paid off).

We need to stop taking punts on players who have 'lost their way' and start signing ones who are desperate to get involved and stuck in. Alternatively, we could have just kept Crawford.

It's cost us nothing, "no harm, no foul".

If he had signed and sat in the stands for the majority of the season with mysterious injuries, not fit, not in the right place to play etc whilst collecting a wage then we should be seriously asking question.

In this case it's easy come, easy go.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    It's cost us nothing, "no harm, no foul".

If he had signed and sat in the stands for the majority of the season with mysterious injuries, not fit, not in the right place to play etc whilst collecting a wage then we should be seriously asking question.

In this case it's easy come, easy go.
    Yes indeed. I suspect many of us somewhat expected this one to 'not work out' based on his career history. In effect he basically had a one month paid trial so, as you say, 'no harm, no foul'.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Alternatively, we could have just kept Crawford.
    Decent passer, gets around the park, good shot on him, knows the league, right age. Naaaah.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Yes indeed. I suspect many of us somewhat expected this one to 'not work out' based on his career history. In effect he basically had a one month paid trial so, as you say, 'no harm, no foul'.

Agreed, 'no harm no foul' as you say. As others have said though, perhaps we dodged a bullet there. Wonder if he was on decent money? Not the first time it's happened either.

On 21 May 2019, it was announced that Sloth had signed a two-year deal with Scottish Premiership side Motherwell, with the move due to be completed in June.[16] He left the club on 31 January 2020, his contract being cancelled by mutual consent, having only played once as a substitute in the Scottish League Cup.[17]
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Yes indeed. I suspect many of us somewhat expected this one to 'not work out' based on his career history. Ineffect he basically had a one month paid trial so, as you say, 'no harm, no foul'.
    I think some of the comments earlier in the thread are a bit harsh. Recruitment seems pretty good at the moment - thanks to Ardley and Football Radar. 100% success would be nice, but isn’t realistic.

Dear Notts,

Please stop signing foreign players for non league. It doesn’t work at our level, or indeed at the couple of levels above, as we know from bitter experience.

Lots of love
    BFP

Not every player we sign will turn out to be brilliant no matter how much research and homework we do on him.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    yeah, good luck to him, I can understand...
    but if recruitment had got it right we wouldn't have wasted our time with him - can't even say 'worth a punt' with a player of that type
    I trust the owners to get it right eventually with their recruitment model, but the second that Sloth signed it looked very much an emotional signing (Danish connection) rather than with any significant analysis.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast