+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Top 3

Top 3

As the title says-what are your top 3 favourite matches you've seen at St James' Park?

Newcastle 5 Sunlun 1

Just an utterly joyous, mental game. A lot of derbies are tense, tight and, frankly, not very enjoyable because of the stakes involved being so high. This one, though, I never really worried from quite early on in the game and each goal was just a massive explosion of celebration. The whole ground (apart from the one pocket of darkness in Level 7) was on its feet singing, hugging each other, grinning from ear to ear...magic stuff, man.

Newcastle 5 Manure 0

Keegan's team at their very best-team, manager, fans, city all as one...I don't think we could have held our heads any higher walking out of the ground that day. Ginola's thundering curler, Shearer dancing in front of the away fans, 'who the fuck are Man United'', Albert's chip......sigh...

Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4

Just the second half, though. The atmosphere that built and built as the momentum began to swing our way was....difficult to describe...a mixture of relief, disbelief, ecstasy, incredulity....by the end we were laughing at the sheer ludicrousness of it all. As for Tiote's equaliser, only the David Kelly Portsmouth goal beats it for the absolutely unhinged lunacy the whole ground descended into.

Over to you. (you don't have to waffle on like me, though )

Keegans debut
    Newcastle 7 Leicester 1
    Newcastle v Barcelona

Aye, the 7-1 was close to making it. Actually missed the other two.

Toon 5 Manure 0 Still rates as my best ever. Atmosphere was amazing. Soaked through. Bumped into Alan Shoulder behind the East Stand

Toon 5 Man City 1 Beardsleys first hat-trick for us ( I think his first home goals for us too ) Left the ground knowing I had just witnessed a truly world class player also knew we were destined for promotion. Keegan had the entertainers but our forward line of Waddle Beardsley and The Messiah himself was something to see.

Rotherham 1 Toon 5 Keegans answer to being dropped from England squad by Sir Bobby. Just go out and score 4 away from home. Support was phenomenal again (always loved away days better than home). To cap it all I think Emlyn Hughes hung his boots up after this one

OOps sorry Was at at St. James (did not read op correctly
    Scratch the rotherham game and put Toon 3 smb 1 New years day 1985 Two mackems off and an other Pedro hat-trick Woo Hoo

would of said the 5-1 but I was in the gulf for that one

Newcastle 5 West Ham 5 circa 1960,we were down 4-1 at half time but pulled back to 5-5 and almost got a sixth hitting the crossbar then their RB stopped one with his face on the line.

Supermac scoring a hat trick on his debut against Liverpool

Newcastle 2 Liverpool 0 this because I was at the game with some Scouse shipmates when we had dry docked in Wallsend.They were bragging what they were going to do to us having beaten us 3-0 in the Cup Final.Supermac scored both goals.
    Last edited by sherwoodmag; 11-10-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    Newcastle 5 West Ham 5 circa 1960,we were down 4-1 at half time but pulled back to 5-5 and almost got a sixth hitting the crossbar then their RB stopped one with his face on the line.

Supermac scoring a hat trick on his debut against Liverpool

Newcastle 2 Liverpool 0 this because I was at the game with some Scouse shipmates when we had dry docked in Wallsend.They were bragging what they were going to do to us having beaten us 3-0 in the Cup Final.Supermac scored both goals.
    I didn't want to copy the obvious later ones or the Fairs Cup as I thought they would be a lot of them repeated.

4-4 with Arsenal, when Tiote got the equaliser, i still get goosebumps

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    4-4 with Arsenal, when Tiote got the equaliser, i still get goosebumps
    Every now and again, I listen to the Justin Lockwood commentary....just a brilliant piece of radio.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)