Unlike most currently moaning on other threads, I like Mellon's mentality but am a realist and am aware he inherited a championship squad, the club needed to recruit just to survive in the top league.

For me, he has yet to play his strongest team in the preferred formation.

Like all teams it is unrealistic to expect that he can play that team every week and he has needed to find back up to cover positions.
Normally you would introduce gently but with injuries he's been forced to give fringe players the chance and/or play some folk out of their natural position.
When the players have listened and done their job, formation wise, we have had glimpses of what to expect.

If when all are fit, Mellon believes our strongest team will have Butcher and Pawlett in midfield and Bolton or Edwards at right back, then I will hire the helicopter myself.

If he believes his strongest team will be closer to:
GK Benji, RB Smith, LB Robson
With 2 of Edwards/Butcher/Connolly/Reynolds at centre defence
RMid Chalmers, LMid Sporle with Fuchs and Harkes in centre
McNulty and Shankland up front

Then if that team plays in the same set up as the Celtic game with the same energy, we will survive 19/20 easily.

We then set the foundations for the 20/21 top 6 charge

He's not polishing turds, we have decent players who are not ready to be played consistently at the top level..... Yet

If it turns out they will never hack it then we have the Jan window

I would still rather have our squad in the top league than be where Hearts or Dees are

Cup half full here