+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notts Forest home 17/10/20 match thread

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    Yep, nailed it.
    But we'd a few out and the new guys if they get a game.
    Inexplicably a few of the new lads could've played yesterday. We desperately need this midfielder from Norwich and Douglas and Elliott in. Johnson has had his 2 good games for the season. He can fk off back on the bench again the useless prick. The last 2 games are exactly what you get from him.
    I knew that was never going to last.
    Take Dolan out as this kid from Liverpool is just better. I wouldn't even bother with Chapman.
    The one who worried me yesterday was Buckley. Not sure where he fits in. I dont believe he is progressing enough. Too weak, fades badly in games. Too weak, not enough guile. I'd still rather see him than Downing. You just know they are going nowhere with players like that returning. Just as we finally rid ourselves of Graham, Mulgrew and got lucky with Bennett getting injured for a while. Then they take a huge step backwards getting him back. He slows down our play painfully. Set pieces are shocking. He adds nothing. But week by week I'll be told he has the most passes. Backwards and sideways yes. Forwards no. Thats the point. We will go nowhere with guys like him. Hopefully he is more of coach and bit part player than playing every single week, like last seasons poor season.
    I do think they will take a while, but will improve once the new lads settle.
    Major concern is CH. If Williams doesnt play, we have 2 right footed players who are another very good on the ball. Our while play is affected by us regressing back to 40 yard passes to a midget up front. If that is the game plan, then forget it. Most sides in this division are like Cardiff & Forest. Solid, and tough to break down. Rovers arent going to play Wycombe every week sadly.
    After wondering where Dack will fit it's pretty clear. Wherever as will still have lots of misfiring players.

Champs - there really is just too much generalisation there.
    I have no idea why you are confident enough to make predictions about a whole season.
    I wouldn't go quite as far yet as saying the Championship is "poor", but it certainly looks like being even again.
    That is the very nature of it.
    Brentford lost 13 matches last season and finished third.
    As for dismissing Johnson, I actually thought he was fine against Cardiff, but he was certainly poor on Saturday.
    For most of our supporters, our best XI now would probably feature Holtby, Rothwell, Travis, Dack, Rankin-Costello, Douglas and possibly Trybull. All of those were missing. On current form, I would also have Williams in ahead of Lenihan, but that's a personal thought.
    A word for Bell, though. His defending is much improved. However, that seems to have come at the cost of providing any attacking threat!
    Then there is the mix up front, where it may be that different opponents will require different choices.
    As you know, I get frustrated by Armstrong. You're right about his poor service in the Forest game, but he doesn't make things happen in tight situations. We could certainly have done with one of his long-range goals, but he never found any space.
    The absence of Rothwell and Holtby seems to have had a major impact, but in a way, even that proves my point about unpredictability, because - let's be honest - neither of them were particularly good last season - certainly not consistently!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 18-10-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - there really is just too much generalisation there.
    I have no idea why you are confident enough to make predictions about a whole season.
    I wouldn't go quite as far yet as saying the Championship is "poor", but it certainly looks like being even again.
    That is the very nature of it.
    Brentford lost 13 matches last season and finished third.
    As for dismissing Johnson, I actually thought he was fine against Cardiff, but he was certainly poor on Saturday.
    For most of our supporters, our best XI now would probably feature Holtby, Rothwell, Travis, Dack, Rankin-Costello, Douglas and possibly Trybull. All of those were missing. On current form, I would also have Williams in ahead of Lenihan, but that's a personal thought.
    A word for Bell, though. His defending is much improved. However, that seems to have come at the cost of providing any attacking threat!
    Then there is the mix up front, where it may be that different opponents will require different choices.
    As you know, I get frustrated by Armstrong. You're right about his poor service in the Forest game, but he doesn't make things happen in tight situations. We could certainly have done with one of his long-range goals, but he never found any space.
    The absence of Rothwell and Holtby seems to have had a major impact, but in a way, even that proves my point about unpredictability, because - let's be honest - neither of them were particularly good last season - certainly not consistently!

I do tend to agree with most of that.
    Another thing annoying me, Williams and Lenihan go off to be part of Eire's squad every international break. Neither ever get one minute of game time. And at least one will return with an injury. If they never even play, I just question why bother? To lose Williams was a blow. It leaves a bitter taste considering he didn't even kick a ball. If he now loses his place in the side, maybe he needs to ask himself, do I want to turn up to training camps for Ireland or play for my club team? He can have no complaints if he doesn't get back in now. Another, like Rothwell & Holbty who didn't pull up any trees last season, but appear to be pretty ***** to any potential success. We lost way too many key players for last Sat's game. No disaster, it was pretty predictable.
    But I am just frustrated watching Lehinan. His poor distribution of the ball annoys me. I had this feeling we could have done alot worse than cash in on him over summer.
    I do not like Ayala and Lenihan at CH together. Neither are good on the ball. Both right footed, the one who plays left side will really struggle. That was Lenihan on sat, and that was why he was so poor. And why he very very quickly reverted to hitting 40 yard balls to a midget up front. He doesn't want the ball, its a hot potato. Get rid, quickly!!

We can not expect to go anywhere with Johnson. The 2 games where he played well, where just 2 occasions where he played well. It was never going to carry on. On Sat, we had zero creativity in Midfield. I am not freaking out about that, it was simply we had way too many out. Buckley was really poor, as was Armstrong.
    I actually only thought one player played well, which was Nyambe.
    It will be a much changed side going to Watford on wed.

Good golly miss Lolly.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Good golly miss Lolly.
    Much better performance from your lads today, Alf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)