+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling a bit of dread about Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside View Post
    I agree, no chance Robbie would have got a point today with this squad.

Don't think we can say that either way, he had a very good home record and knows how to grind out results and pretty sure got results vs mcinnes Aberdeen last time he got a team promoted

I'm just glad we did it yesterday, credit to MM and the team for getting something

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Don't think we can say that either way, he had a very good home record and knows how to grind out results and pretty sure got results vs mcinnes Aberdeen last time he got a team promoted

I'm just glad we did it yesterday, credit to MM and the team for getting something
    Agreed.

I honestly don't know how anyone could come up with the assumption that Neilson would have lost us that game yesterday. Based on what?

Would settle for 9 points from our next 5 matches, anything more would be a big bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by BackRowArab View Post
    Would settle for 9 points from our next 5 matches, anything more would be a big bonus.
    Unfortunate to be playing a somewhat rejuvenated Saints next who have scored 13 goals in their last 3 matches. The following three games are definitely up for grabs however.

A fantastic and unexpected point IMO.

During the added time I still feared the Sheep would score despite knowing the result!

A really good defensive display and credit has to go to all the defenders. We kept our shape brilliantly and the only time Aberdeen threatened was when we lost that shape with Robson/Bolton left upfield or central defenders up for set pieces.

On the other hand I said before the game that if Pawlett Harkes Butcher started we would struggle and it proved to be the case. If Pawlett starts against the Farmers we have a problem in the managers head.

No coincidence we looked much better when Powers Smith and Chalmers came on.
    Powers has to start on Saturday.

LS will be glad to see McNulty arriving and the two together started to look like they would cause the Sheep problems.

I didn't think the overall performance was as bad as some other posters, defensively it reminded me of an away game in Europe against better quality opponents and a draw is always a good result in those circumstances.

Very happy with that based on our recent results and the fact that MM chose the wrong midfield again. A good confidence boost going into the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Unfortunate to be playing a somewhat rejuvenated Saints next who have scored 13 goals in their last 3 matches. The following three games are definitely up for grabs however.
    Can't agree with that. We should be going up there confident we can come away with all 3 points. No one gave us a chance of preventing Aberdeen scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post

A really good defensive display and credit has to go to all the defenders.
    Especially Lawrence Shankland

On the other hand I said before the game that if Pawlett Harkes Butcher started we would struggle and it proved to be the case. If Pawlett starts against the Farmers we have a problem in the managers head.
    I could be wrong, but I thought the BBC commentary said that Pawlett and Butcher both went off injured. Pretty sure Pawlett had just had treatment for an injury before he went off. Now far from wishing injury on anyone, but it might be interesting to see what the manager does if certain players are simply unavailable. Our best run of results last season coincided with Pawlett being out injured.

A really good defensive display and credit has to go to all the defenders.
    While I’ll accept the point we gained,no question, I’ll have to agree to disagree on the above Stoke. Second half saw an improvement, but first half I thought was heart attack stuff. Aberdeen were dangerous at set pieces, they opened us up down the flanks and created plenty. Frankly it was a combination of bad finishing and great keeping by Benji and Sir Lawrence (!) that kept us in it and if it had been 3-0 at half time I genuinely don’t think we’d have had grounds to complain. Some of the passing and control among the back three was heart attack stuff and we offered up opportunities through sheer incompetence at times. I thought Robson was poor first half as well as he got done for pace and with a ball over the top and down the flank several times in that half. I get though that the midfield did nothing to help out - Harkes and Butcher were not great in front of the defence. I will definitely concede now that Harkes and Butcher are not an answer to our midfield woes - let’s hope Fuchs is.

Second half they did tighten up somewhat and Aberdeen created far less with the same possession as they did in the first, however we still needed Siegrist to bail us out a couple of times nonetheless. Overall, the middle of the park is where our big issue is. We can’t maintain possession, we can’t create chances and they are not protecting the defensive line. Look back to just how many crosses Aberdeen were able to pepper in on the diagonal from 50 yards out time and time again. That’s problems being created for defenders by midfielders not stopping things they should be stopping. Harkes I still feel can and should be better, but Fuchs for Butcher and possibly (now McNulty’s here) Clark dropping back to replace Pawlett might be an idea. Nicky was so much more effective behind Appere and Shanks last season and may be worth a try out back there.

Overall, I can’t believe we’re sixth. It doesn’t currently feel like we are playing anywhere near good enough to justify that position but, it is what it is, so let’s take advantage of a somewhat fortuitous position and push on.

Onwards and upwards!

Can't agree with that. We should be going up there confident we can come away with all 3 points. No one gave us a chance of preventing Aberdeen scoring.
    We should be and we will be. I just meant it's going to be a much harder game than any of the other three.

Interesting to note most people stating Powers should start next week. Surely the manager has to be seeing that he brings something to the table that Butcher & Harkes don't? I can't see Fuchs being ready for Saturday so if we do have a couple of injuries in the middle of the park, it may well be forced upon us. I have a feeling the manager just doesn't rate him however as his persistence in playing Butcher & Harkes is quite baffling given they are clearly a major weak link in our team atm.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)