+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will lead the line against Watford?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    a marginal improvement over previous games. marginal
    Admire your optimism but out of two ****e sides we were marginally ****er IMO!

So is Marriott loan a FFP move? I know he has yet to shine BUt he is our only fit striker FFS!

Its going to be a long season me thinks.

Beginning to be concerned for Cocu. Four defeats from five and the collapse at the end of last season is beginning to tell it’s own story.
    He’s had nothing but bad luck since he arrived imo and has never complained, but last night’s after match comments seemed very muddled.
    Bad results against Huddersfield and Forest might, just imo, now be terminal.

As for last night...no shortage of effort and we are still obviously suffering from absences...but there really was very little joined up thought and on the one occasion there was Rooney fluffed his lines badly.

On the plus side...Byrne looked good going forward, Buchanan looked useful, Lawrence brought a ‘spark’ and Knight was non stop effort albeit with little end product.
    On the down side...I just don’t see Evans as a Championship level player, thanks Frank, Bird suddenly looks lost, and I couldn’t understand the point of keeping Rooney on after an hour. One ‘nearly’ free kick apart he contributed nothing in that second half.

Oh well...RL Cup Final later on today. Leeds v Salford at an empty Wembley. Not the best two sides but if you’re looking for commitment look no further...and spare a thought for Rob Burrow...little guy but a giant of our times.

Not much in it possession wise. 9 shots to their 8. Both had 1 on target. The difference being theirs went in and ours (from Lawro) was straight at their keeper.

Davies was solid in defence but is a total liability when in possession.

Evans. Not a centre half on his last 2 showings. Gave a needless penalty away last time out. Got a yellow for a stupid tackle this time and got away with giving a penalty away this time thanks to the referee's interpretation of the revised handball Law. Another day, another ref and it would have been given and he might have had a 2nd yellow for it. The ref was consistent as he used the same interpretation later on in their box. Evans is also not much better with his distribution than Davies. He was the man closest to Pedro for their goal and should have been closer to him before he got the pass and closd him down earlier IMO. Not sure why he got a contract extension.

Marshall. Not at fault for the goal. He was where he should have been and it was great placing from the young lad.

Both full backs had good games and ought to keep their places. Buchanan was my MOTM.

Shinnie is, I believe, supposed to be the breaker up of play but does it rarely.

Bird isn't the player of last season. Virtually invisible for the opening 30 and when he's on the ball I expect more creativity but don't see it.

Holmes is off his game.

Knight was a proper Duracell bunny but needs to have end product.

Clarke was, well, Clarke. Must be wondering if he'd have been better off going to Boro after all...

Rooney. One chance put wide and one free kick just over the bar. Played better than I'd expected but I'd have subbed him on the hour mark.

Despite all of the faults we were as good as a team currently in the top 6.........

No faulting the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Not much in it possession wise. 9 shots to their 8. Both had 1 on target. The difference being theirs went in and ours (from Lawro) was straight at their keeper.

Davies was solid in defence but is a total liability when in possession.

Evans. Not a centre half on his last 2 showings. Gave a needless penalty away last time out. Got a yellow for a stupid tackle this time and got away with giving a penalty away this time thanks to the referee's interpretation of the revised handball Law. Another day, another ref and it would have been given and he might have had a 2nd yellow for it. The ref was consistent as he used the same interpretation later on in their box. Evans is also not much better with his distribution than Davies. He was the man closest to Pedro for their goal and should have been closer to him before he got the pass and closd him down earlier IMO. Not sure why he got a contract extension.

Marshall. Not at fault for the goal. He was where he should have been and it was great placing from the young lad.

Both full backs had good games and ought to keep their places. Buchanan was my MOTM.

Shinnie is, I believe, supposed to be the breaker up of play but does it rarely.

Bird isn't the player of last season. Virtually invisible for the opening 30 and when he's on the ball I expect more creativity but don't see it.

Holmes is off his game.

Knight was a proper Duracell bunny but needs to have end product.

Clarke was, well, Clarke. Must be wondering if he'd have been better off going to Boro after all...

Rooney. One chance put wide and one free kick just over the bar. Played better than I'd expected but I'd have subbed him on the hour mark.

Despite all of the faults we were as good as a team currently in the top 6.........

No faulting the effort.
    Is it worth playing Rooney for a odd free kick or corner. The rest of his game he is like a forty year old at 34 he should be fitter than he looks

If we don't play him we will never appear on TV, so won't get appearance money.... After all, what neutrals want to watch Derby County Nil play

Don't worry, I understand Wayne's ordered a mobility scooter for the next game so he'll be much quicker!
    I agree with MA's assessment but did think they were much better. Why?? Because it was obvious they had a plan, knew what they were doing and did it well, we spent the whole game wondering what the plan was whilst hoping for divine inspiration!
    Never mind Cocu's future, as things are our future is on the line. My only hope is that the return of some on the injured list will give us a much needed lift. Otherwise, a long and difficult season ahead!

I worry about how easy Byrne got skinned by their winger a couple of times, especially as it was obvious it was going to happen as he was just ill balanced for the challenge. That might cost half a dozen goals a season which with our scoring record might mean six defeats. But overall it was depressing. much as MA tries to offer some positives. Rooney is becoming the John Robertson of the new millenium in my view, a luxury you can afford when on the up. not when slugging it out

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Beginning to be concerned for Cocu. Four defeats from five and the collapse at the end of last season is beginning to tell it’s own story.
    He’s had nothing but bad luck since he arrived imo and has never complained, but last night’s after match comments seemed very muddled.
    Bad results against Huddersfield and Forest might, just imo, now be terminal.

As for last night...no shortage of effort and we are still obviously suffering from absences...but there really was very little joined up thought and on the one occasion there was Rooney fluffed his lines badly.

On the plus side...Byrne looked good going forward, Buchanan looked useful, Lawrence brought a ‘spark’ and Knight was non stop effort albeit with little end product.
    On the down side...I just don’t see Evans as a Championship level player, thanks Frank, Bird suddenly looks lost, and I couldn’t understand the point of keeping Rooney on after an hour. One ‘nearly’ free kick apart he contributed nothing in that second half.

Oh well...RL Cup Final later on today. Leeds v Salford at an empty Wembley. Not the best two sides but if you’re looking for commitment look no further...and spare a thought for Rob Burrow...little guy but a giant of our times.
    Well you have been consistent in supporting him, but is it all down to bad luck?

We have had the discussion about "drinkgate" before but I still think that it was a sign that the players didn't respect him as a manager, and recently theres been talk about the players saying they don't like his tactics, true or not its more signs that he hasn't got the respect of the players, which is worrying.

His comments after many games have been odd to my thinking, his tactics are baffling and the players he does have don't seem to understand what he wants.

In terms of where we are with players, is he a hostage of circumstance? In which case if he hasn't the influence to get what players he requires why is he still in the job?

Frankly the club has been a mess since Frank left, some blame Frank, but we have pissed money on poor players for years (or at least players that when they play for Derby are generally poor.)

We have had a poor run of results for some time now, no real sign of improvement, maybe when all are fit we might see some improvement but at this stage I'm of the view that Cocu doesn't understand what it takes to be successful in the championship and we don't have the funds to be able to get the players Cocu needs to play his style of football.

Look back at Cocu's previous managerial record, what was it that inspired Mel to appoint him, when more successful managers who knew the championship were available?

I'd go so far to say that things were more exciting under Clough Jnr and his tenure was dismal!

Yes things haven't gone Cocu's way, but overall he is still responsible for the way the team players, who is picked and presumably for letting some players go and agreeing that others be brought in.

My verdict, we won't come close to winning anything under this Dutch "master". For me its been a bad appointment and if we are still as bad by the end of November I expect to see a change of manager.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Well you have been consistent in supporting him, but is it all down to bad luck?

We have had the discussion about "drinkgate" before but I still think that it was a sign that the players didn't respect him as a manager, and recently theres been talk about the players saying they don't like his tactics, true or not its more signs that he hasn't got the respect of the players, which is worrying.

His comments after many games have been odd to my thinking, his tactics are baffling and the players he does have don't seem to understand what he wants.

In terms of where we are with players, is he a hostage of circumstance? In which case if he hasn't the influence to get what players he requires why is he still in the job?

Frankly the club has been a mess since Frank left, some blame Frank, but we have pissed money on poor players for years (or at least players that when they play for Derby are generally poor.)

We have had a poor run of results for some time now, no real sign of improvement, maybe when all are fit we might see some improvement but at this stage I'm of the view that Cocu doesn't understand what it takes to be successful in the championship and we don't have the funds to be able to get the players Cocu needs to play his style of football.

Look back at Cocu's previous managerial record, what was it that inspired Mel to appoint him, when more successful managers who knew the championship were available?

I'd go so far to say that things were more exciting under Clough Jnr and his tenure was dismal!

Yes things haven't gone Cocu's way, but overall he is still responsible for the way the team players, who is picked and presumably for letting some players go and agreeing that others be brought in.

My verdict, we won't come close to winning anything under this Dutch "master". For me its been a bad appointment and if we are still as bad by the end of November I expect to see a change of manager.
    Well put Swale, have to agree with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Well put Swale, have to agree with that!
    Gets my vote too. Is Chris Hughton available?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)