+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those checking VAR are ruining the game

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Why can’t the official who made that call come on camera and explain why it’s offside or hold their hand up to making a mistake? It’s like SAS
    I don't buy this. Why? So we can hurl rotten tomatoes at them? Id rather keep refs out of media analysis. Dont think it will solve anything. Kettle would still be in chains at Millmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Perhaps, but in the Liverpool game nobody on the pitch thought it was offside, no player, or official, no manager, nothing, so why review?
    Yes agree with that. And yesterdays was odd.

Heres a thing - since VAR are the more or fewer off sides. Do players hold off before making the runing knowing they will be caught. In the old days they took a chance knowing theyd get away with a few.

There are certainly more goals this season. Is that as a result of VAR? I think defenders are scared to tackle knowing if they make a slight error they will be penalised.

I should have said there seem to be more goals and is it a result of covid or var, or neither.

Dont know if changing the rules would make it any different, but maybe if the offside rule said that if there is any part of the player ONSIDE then he is classed ONSIDE.
    Maybe it wouldn't make much difference as the players would still use the rules to take it to fine margins, but at least the fine margins would be in the attacking teams favour and more goals would surely be inevitable.
    I also agree with wanchai that interviewing referees could make things worse.

I still think it should be based on the furthest forward foot not any other waving appendage

VAR question.
    If Fulham had scored on the break before Sheffield United were given the penalty what would’ve happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    VAR question.
    If Fulham had scored on the break before Sheffield United were given the penalty what would’ve happened?
    No goal

It's not only the offside rule that's been ruined by VAR but all the handball decisions that are now being given. You'll hear a commentator saying that a player's arms were in an unnatural position when the ball hit it, so now we see players with both arms stuck behind their backs, how unnatural is that????? It's got to the stage where it's become ridiculous now. This VAR nonsense needs scrapping for the good of the game, I.M.O.

I think the problem is when the defender has his arms in the air so that he can jump better and it's ball to hand. He's gained an advantage by blocking the ball with his hand which is against the rules.
    If the defender has his arms at his side and it's ball to hand then it's very harsh is a pen us given and no they should not have to put their hands behind their backs

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I think the problem is when the defender has his arms in the air so that he can jump better and it's ball to hand. He's gained an advantage by blocking the ball with his hand which is against the rules.
    If the defender has his arms at his side and it's ball to hand then it's very harsh is a pen us given and no they should not have to put their hands behind their backs
    Yes, clubs should invest in huge rolls of gaffer tape and tape their arms to their bodies. They could then jump like a demented pogo dancer but stay legal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast