+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: End of first quarter - Top 6

Quote Originally Posted by Henrys Hall View Post
    Teams below us will be more concerned than we are. Also 9 points behind Hibs in 3rd is no mounting at this point, though unlikely to catch them.
    We were never catching them at the start of the season.

Next 5 games against the teams we're realistically wanting to finish above before we play Sevco away. These 5 games will hopefully show us what we're made of and games where we must try to go on the front foot.......over to you Mr Fuchs

That's true but we won't remain there, the top 4 is obvious, two of Killie/Motherwell/Livi will make up top 6

There are only three teams I think we realistically can finish above, Accies, St Mirren and County, I will be hoping they lose every week and draw when playing each other... Unfortunately hibs didn't beat County today, but Accies lost and St Mirren getting a fixture pile up

Relieved today that we have dug in and taken something, important few games to come, we need to win a couple

That's the 3 teams I think we have best chance of finishing above, and i think that is the stark reality of our situation, not a great margin for error, early in season looked like Livi might offer some hope as well but they look quite steady.

If the truth were said, then Aberdeen weren't really that far ahead of Kelty either!! I am happy with a point but the standard is woeful.

At times like this there has to be an acceptance that standards should be traded for points?

Chalmers (yes I now he is young etc etc) but we have to be absolutely clinical whenever we get a sniff or glaring opportunity like he got. Many sides design their entire system around being stagnant, holding, spoiling and only expect 1 chance to score, and normally they do, so we have to be as clinical.

Change of shape later on brought the best results and seems to suit the players on the park better. When Pawlett was removed the midfield improved. He should not start as he still contributes too little.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    If the truth were said, then Aberdeen weren't really that far ahead of Kelty either!! I am happy with a point but the standard is woeful.

At times like this there has to be an acceptance that standards should be traded for points?

Chalmers (yes I now he is young etc etc) but we have to be absolutely clinical whenever we get a sniff or glaring opportunity like he got. Many sides design their entire system around being stagnant, holding, spoiling and only expect 1 chance to score, and normally they do, so we have to be as clinical.

Change of shape later on brought the best results and seems to suit the players on the park better. When Pawlett was removed the midfield improved. He should not start as he still contributes too little.
    Perhaps if he's on from the start then he's more ready to take the opportunity but a young inexperienced lad not long on the pitch snatched at it so he gets a pass from me and will learn from it.

In some respects yesterday's result was the most important of the 11-game first quarter. Had we lost 3-0 or suchlike the forums would be frothing. It's amazing what a point can do. Someone mentioned the trajectory of our performances and yes, when you throw in the Betfred too, it has been downward. Upwards would have dispelled some nagging doubts re where we really are under the new regime...
    But top 6 after we've played everyone once, what's not to like, the league does not lie, so roll on the 2nd quarter. Which ends 2nd Jan 2021 by the way, let's take a quarter at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post

Totally agree, Aberdeen were not good. I'm pretty amazed at the standard in this league, it's rubbish. I've said from the start, apart from the ugly sisters, there is absolutely nothing to fear. Aberdeen will probably be the best of the rest and they were poor yesterday. However in some ways that just makes it more annoying as if we had a bit more quality in the team a top six finish would be easily within our reach.

Need to play 4-4-2, how come nane oh oor managers want to play this? f uck yer 3 and 5 at the back pish and ram yer 4-5-1 as far up yer arse as possible

Mellon post interview says he changed it to 4411 NOT 442.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)