+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penalties

Penalties

Swansea were awarded a penalty in their match today, taken and ‘scored’ by Andre Ayew. I have just seen this on the Quest highlights programme and Ayew stops in his run up, even appears to take a step backwards before kicking the ball into the net. Surely this tactic should not be allowed? Anyone know whether the referee was correct or at fault in allowing that Pete stand as a goal?

As long as there’s still some movement I think it’s allowed Kets.

It seems the penalty kick was legit ketts
    Law 14 of the penalty kick states

"feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker"

In this case the player had not completed his run up and merely faffed around before taking the kick. If he had finished his run up and feinted the kick and then kicked it for real as it were then the opposing side would have been awarded an indirect free kick. That's how I view it anyway.

When I was referring, admitted a long time ago, the rule stated that the run-up should be a smooth run-up with no altering it. When was this rule changed?

Keepers can’t move off their line at all now, if they do then it’s an infringement, so easy these days for the penalty taker..

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Keepers can’t move off their line at all now, if they do then it’s an infringement, so easy these days for the penalty taker..
    I don't recall a time when they could move off their line.

Slightly off the point, why didn't VAR instruct the referee to send Pickford off. It was an appalling challenge fully deserving of a red card. It shouldn't have been a penalty because the off side decision was the the first infringement. However, that does not preclude the sending off. A player, as we have often witnessed, can be given his marching orders after the final whistle has gone so surely the rule applies during the game. Let's be honest, the incident was badly dealt with by both VAR and the referee, Oliver. To take no action at all was ridiculous. The minimum it should have been was a yellow card but no action taken by either parties was shocking. It just emphasises how badly controlled the game is overall.

To be honest I used to rate Oliver as a ref but I think since VAR he has appeared to not want to get involved.

The VAR referee is nowhere near as experienced as Oliver yet how many times does Oliver just follow the VAR advice rather than go and have a look at the monitor. He never went once yesterday to look at any of the incidents himself and just followed advice from a lesser colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    To be honest I used to rate Oliver as a ref but I think since VAR he has appeared to not want to get involved.

The VAR referee is nowhere near as experienced as Oliver yet how many times does Oliver just follow the VAR advice rather than go and have a look at the monitor. He never went once yesterday to look at any of the incidents himself and just followed advice from a lesser colleague.
    You wouldn’t have rated Oliver if you’d have been watching us away at Blackpool a few years ago.

Possibly the worst reffing performance I’ve ever witnessed.

Magnificent effort by our 9 players though.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    I don't recall a time when they could move off their line.
    Goalkeepers must have at least one foot on the goalline when a penalty kick is being taken. This rule was introduced last year, before that keepers would always move as the player was about to strike the ball, now they have to wait until he has kicked it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)