Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Malik Wilks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    17,031

    Malik Wilks

    Just saying like !!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just saying like !!!
    Has he found his level? Was his attitude right? Was he let go by Leeds for a reason? We will never know.
    For me I will remember him walking off slowly (showboating) , when subbed wasting time and being clever.." Not for his football contribution during his time here..
    Got to agree though, hes scoring for fun.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    17,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Has he found his level? Was his attitude right? Was he let go by Leeds for a reason? We will never know.
    For me I will remember him walking off slowly (showboating) , when subbed wasting time and being clever.." Not for his football contribution during his time here..
    Got to agree though, hes scoring for fun.
    Jules .

    He's a shytehouse and he comes with things you have to manage .

    Manage him reight and he's a player .

    Some nice lads on Grove Street at the moment and I'm sure they get their hair cut regular and are in bed by 10pm , Thomas , Chaplin etc etc , doing well aren't they ?????

    I fecking loved him winding the Fulham lads up on the opening day last season personally .

    The championship is full of shytehouses , plenty in the Stoke team on Wednesday night .

    Massive mistake to let Wilks go so soon in my opinion and I've said this from the moment he left for Hull .

    Victim of politics at the club for me and nowt to do with his ability as a player .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,841
    I agree wi Jules, good league 1 player who potentially might hack it in the championship. Basically he's of no higher or lower standard than 80% we've already got.

    Having watched him a few times last season it struck me that he has the speed and power but not quite the finesse and necessary football brain to succeed at championship level. His eeard is darn too much when breaking forward and he's an inability to look up and make the correct play at the crucial moment, a big factor in being successful at championship level.

    Time will tell, his court case is over and he can focus on his football now which must be a positive for him. Grant McCann can obviously get a tune out of him but in all honesty I'm not convinced he's up to scoring regularly in the championship and is no better than what we already have.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    17,031
    Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I agree wi Jules, good league 1 player who potentially might hack it in the championship. Basically he's of no higher or lower standard than 80% we've already got.

    Having watched him a few times last season it struck me that he has the speed and power but not quite the finesse and necessary football brain to succeed at championship level. His eeard is darn too much when breaking forward and he's an inability to look up and make the correct play at the crucial moment, a big factor in being successful at championship level.

    Time will tell, his court case is over and he can focus on his football now which must be a positive for him. Grant McCann can obviously get a tune out of him but in all honesty I'm not convinced he's up to scoring regularly in the championship and is no better than what we already have.
    He's a young kid Pass this is what we supposedly do and that is why I hold the opinion on him that I do .

    I accept what you say about his flaws but the model is supposedly about developing talent .

    6 months ......really .

    That's not anywhere near enough to judge a young kid .

    Did we have to let him go in January pre Covid ?

    The lad deserved a bigger crack of the whip for me and in my opinion .

    I haven't had a brother shot dead because a drug deal went wrong , Wilks has and if that wouldn't tell you his background and attitude then what would ? .

    But the club knew that when they signed him and this is the thing for me .

    We signed him and then because it demanded a bit of work with the lad we fecked him off .

    I accept I maybe on my own with this one but I hate to see kids not given a good enough opportunity because of their background and the attitude that it brings as a consequence .

    Boils my pyss Pass .

    Anybody with some nous would have channelled Wilks issues in the right direction , clearly McCann knows how to do that .

    Poor for me but it's just my opinion .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,747
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    He's a young kid Pass this is what we supposedly do and that is why I hold the opinion on him that I do .

    I accept what you say about his flaws but the model is supposedly about developing talent .

    6 months ......really .

    That's not anywhere near enough to judge a young kid .

    Did we have to let him go in January pre Covid ?

    The lad deserved a bigger crack of the whip for me and in my opinion .

    I haven't had a brother shot dead because a drug deal went wrong , Wilks has and if that wouldn't tell you his background and attitude then what would ? .

    But the club knew that when they signed him and this is the thing for me .

    We signed him and then because it demanded a bit of work with the lad we fecked him off .

    I accept I maybe on my own with this one but I hate to see kids not given a good enough opportunity because of their background and the attitude that it brings as a consequence .

    Boils my pyss Pass .

    Anybody with some nous would have channelled Wilks issues in the right direction , clearly McCann knows how to do that .

    Poor for me but it's just my opinion .
    Can see both sides of this. I’ve worked with some real disadvantaged kids, who have gone on to be great successes. (Not in football), and also spent a good deal of time on some real lost causes I thought would come good....
    Managers these days don’t often get time to “turn kids around”.... The managers have invariably ( and not just at Oakwell) lost their jobs 12 months into the project. I guess they can’t hang around waiting for players to “get it” or “resolve their issues}....
    we may have missed out here. Hope the lad sorts his sen out and is a success

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    18,531
    Wasted Talent , whether he got enough chances or not ? Never did much for us , apart from getting too many bookings , looked lazy and disinterested at times , could have been court case on his mind ? I also think he's found his level now , good look to him though ,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,841
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    He's a young kid Pass this is what we supposedly do and that is why I hold the opinion on him that I do .

    I accept what you say about his flaws but the model is supposedly about developing talent .

    6 months ......really .

    That's not anywhere near enough to judge a young kid .

    Did we have to let him go in January pre Covid ?

    The lad deserved a bigger crack of the whip for me and in my opinion .

    I haven't had a brother shot dead because a drug deal went wrong , Wilks has and if that wouldn't tell you his background and attitude then what would ? .

    But the club knew that when they signed him and this is the thing for me .

    We signed him and then because it demanded a bit of work with the lad we fecked him off .

    I accept I maybe on my own with this one but I hate to see kids not given a good enough opportunity because of their background and the attitude that it brings as a consequence .

    Boils my pyss Pass .

    Anybody with some nous would have channelled Wilks issues in the right direction , clearly McCann knows how to do that .

    Poor for me but it's just my opinion .

    I agree that 6 months is pyss poor. Why sign him in the first place? I'd guess that he wasn't Strubers cuppa char and was bombed out.

    The Dane Murphy podcast you put up a few weeks ago was interesting but having listened to that and seeing the Wilks situation, I find it contradictory. I accept that when dealing with young men tha going to get the odd loose Cannon but as you quite rightly say it's abart managing the situation and giving them the necessary time to mature and develop. However, part of the bargain is for the players to want to advance and develop too. It works both ways.

    I'm not too sure that Wilks was happy here judging by his interview after he joined Hull permanently. Part of football is accepting that ability alone or potential ability is never enough to succeed, tha needs to be reight mentally. Dale Jennings for example had ability in abundance but his head wasn't right for whatever reason and he struggled with fitness. We persisted with him for 2 seasons and saw flashes of brilliance but his time here was very disappointing and costly to the club financially. That's the gamble tha teks though investing in youth when they have baggage.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    17,031
    What's driving my opinion of course is the fact we aren't firing on all cylinders up top .

    Lots was made of Woodrow's loss of form but what's happened to Chaplin ?

    Schmidt never seems to be given a run of games either .

    When a lad you let go after 6 months is scoring for fun albeit a league lower but did notch a few at his new club in the championship too you just wonder what the feck is going on .

    Minimum of two goals to score for the majority of games for us to get anything because we will always concede .

    Stuck with what we've got now until January and even then we aren't guaranteed to recruit anyone .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •