+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Black Greats

O/T:- Black Greats

If anyone wants or needs inspiration with regards to Black contribution to Science and in particular early Computing and Space then they need look no further that "Hidden Figures" (what a great title), without whom the merkins may well not have got into space and some may well not have got back again. Not only is it about black folk, they are actually women as well.

An enthralling film and I'm sure an equally good read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Figures

Depending on how this post is received I might add a list of some of my favourite greats in different walks of life.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 18-10-2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Corrected Off Topic prefix

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    If anyone wants or needs inspiration with regards to Black contribution to Science and in particular early Computing and Space then they need look no further that "Hidden Figures" (what a great title), without whom the merkins may well not have got into space and some may well not have got back again. Not only is it about black folk, they are actually women as well.

An enthralling film and I'm sure an equally good read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Figures

Depending on how this post is received I might add a list of some of my favourite greats in different walks of life.
    In this day and age science and technology is largely taken for granted and I don't think people generally care about the people involved regardless of skin colour.
    Music and sport dominates the culture in today's world, and why not? Jazz was the classical music of the 20th century, Miles Davis long recognised as the greatest in that field, Jimi Hendrix as the greatest rock guitarist. Muhammed Ali widely touted as the greatest sportsman of all time, Pele the greatest footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    In this day and age science and technology is largely taken for granted and I don't think people generally care about the people involved regardless of skin colour.
    Music and sport dominates the culture in today's world, and why not? Jazz was the classical music of the 20th century, Miles Davis long recognised as the greatest in that field, Jimi Hendrix as the greatest rock guitarist. Muhammed Ali widely touted as the greatest sportsman of all time, Pele the greatest footballer.
    Everyone’s heard of Muhammad Ali and Pele, but doesn’t the other thread demonstrate that some people are ignorant about black scientists and innovators? And doesn’t such ignorance inform prejudice?

I think this is a great idea for a thread and I do want to watch Hidden Figures.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Everyone’s heard of Muhammad Ali and Pele, .
    That's my point. The things people care about in today's world, the most high profile people happen to be black.
    In science and technology it really doesn't matter who the individuals are, somebody else would have made the discovery or taken that step if they hadn't existed. Artists and sportsman are unique individuals with special talents. Skin colour is just a numbers game, but sadly that's the game we're now being encouraged to play.

Isnt singling out black people racist? Whether they are successes or not. It keeps the two far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    This was the '60's. I was very much into computing, physics, astronomy and space and I had not even heard of the key people involved despite taking an interest.

I only recently saw a documentary on Miles Davis. Beaten up by a cop for loitering outside a night club. Didn't matter that he owned the club. No charges brought. Incidentally I hadn't realised just how brilliant Miles was and to play a sequence for a film by pure improvisation whilst watching the film - amazing confidence and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    This was the '60's. I was very much into computing, physics, astronomy and space and I had not even heard of the key people involved despite taking an interest.

I only recently saw a documentary on Miles Davis. Beaten up by a cop for loitering outside a night club. Didn't matter that he owned the club. No charges brought. Incidentally I hadn't realised just how brilliant Miles was and to play a sequence for a film by pure improvisation whilst watching the film - amazing confidence and ability.
    First time I listened to "Bitches Brew", I felt like a different person afterwards. No other music has had such a profound effect on me.

Growing up with the original "Star Trek" and Lieutenant Uhura, I assumed black women were perfectly capable in that sphere anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    Isnt singling out black people racist? Whether they are successes or not. It keeps the two far apart.
    Indeed I agree it is racist and wouldn't be at all necessary if many of their achievements hadn't been erased from history leaving some posters totally ignorant of their contributions.

So your homework, in the name of equality, is to name the top ten in each of:

Artists/performers Male and Female artists
    Actors (btw who is the top grossing male actor?)
    Formula 1 racing drivers
    Boxers
    Sprinters (100 & 200, 400)
    Long distance runners (5000m+ inc marathons)
    Footballers

For a bit of fun which air squadron set a record for shooting down the most enemy aircraft in a short period?
    Who was one of the first slaves to become a successful businessman and where did he do this?
    Who first discovered a successful treatment for leprosy?

If there is a lack at the top then it is because history has conveniently forgotten them and many of those capable have been denied the opportunities. Those who have succeeded it appears "in spite of" not "because of" the 'civilised' world around them.

Are the blue varsities still making life difficult? Maybe some need some education that is unavailable at Public schools.

I could go on but for once Google is your friend.

Isnt it better to suffer racism but not be racist in return.? That would be godlike. We all have our preferences, you cant eradicate it. You can make it worse by increasing the divide, the more black people set themselves apart, and feel victimised, the worse it will be for all of us.

p.s, listing achievements is sad, ability and worth is not in question, it never has been. Proving worth is not an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast