+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lets talk Peter Pawlett

Lets talk Peter Pawlett

Something that has been troubling me for some time how ineffective Pawlett is in United’s midfield so I decided to do the stats and even I was shocked by what I found

Last season Pawlett started 14 games. In a season when we strolled the league we only won 4 games he started.

It gets worse of these 4 games one was against Partick. He was subbed after 3 minutes with an injury so that one doesn’t really count. Another of the wins was the 2-1 against Arbroath. That game he was substituted after 80 minutes, scoreline at the time United 0 Arbroath 1.

That leaves 2 wins in a season we won 20 matches.

This season his stats are better but nothing spectacular. We have won 5 games. Pawlett started in 3 of them (although one of them was against non league opposition)

So when we are analysing where our deficiencies are, on a previous thread I laid out our woeful defensive record last season when Connolly started games. Midfield is also a problem . The stats tell a story.

Maybe Micky can improve him as a player but the signs are not looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    Something that has been troubling me for some time how ineffective Pawlett is in United’s midfield so I decided to do the stats and even I was shocked by what I found

Last season Pawlett started 14 games. In a season when we strolled the league we only won 4 games he started.

It gets worse of these 4 games one was against Partick. He was subbed after 3 minutes with an injury so that one doesn’t really count. Another of the wins was the 2-1 against Arbroath. That game he was substituted after 80 minutes, scoreline at the time United 0 Arbroath 1.

That leaves 2 wins in a season we won 20 matches.

This season his stats are better but nothing spectacular. We have won 5 games. Pawlett started in 3 of them (although one of them was against non league opposition)

So when we are analysing where our deficiencies are, on a previous thread I laid out our woeful defensive record last season when Connolly started games. Midfield is also a problem . The stats tell a story.

Maybe Micky can improve him as a player but the signs are not looking good.
    FWIW i have no problems with any player at us personally, but I put these stats up on this forum last season, everyone says Shankland got Neilson up but the injuries to Pawlett were just a big a reason as Shanklands goals as when fit Neilson shoe horned him in to the side and ruined us. For some bizarre reason people were saying all over twitter that he started this season well. No he didnt!! he looked slightly better for very brief moments within 90 mins but most of the games still passed him.

What is Mellon expecting to get out of him?

Starting with him and Clark at this level is like starting 2 men down, they are completely innefectual and the games just pass them by. It is no surprise that we looked better when both were off the pitch. I think most people put our improvment down to change of shape but imho the changing of those 2 were just as big a reason for improvement.

Unfortunately I think Pawlett has lost what ever he had in his youth when he had a bit of pace and confidence, and the issue with Clark for me is hes not a 10, he should be used to score goals, not be a core player in the build up.

he's been poor with us when not injured, seemingly he's on some amount of money too

Had high hopes for PP especially after his debut but its never materialised

Its depressing reading for the sabbath boys,can we not discuss Peter Mackie instead?.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Its depressing reading for the sabbath boys,can we not discuss Peter Mackie instead?.
    Peter AKA CWD

I thought there have been some signs that the Pawlett of old was starting to break out in a few games. For the predicament we find ourselves in just now, he is not the player we need on the park just now. If he was able to run at and pass players, then yes he would be an asset, but he just does not look like he has that in his legs anymore, and i cant see anything else he brings to the game.

Peter Pawlett is 29 and should be at his physical fitness peak; therefore unless repeated injury has taken its toll he should be raring to go every game. Maybe the will just isnt there anymore to rediscover an ability, that he once had; or just doesnt fit the team dynamic. In which case MM either has to drop him (temp or perm) or manage and encourage him to do better and possibly change his position; if he can fit him in for the future. Possibly to be brought on later in a game!

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    Peter Pawlett is 29 and should be at his physical fitness peak; therefore unless repeated injury has taken its toll he should be raring to go every game. Maybe the will just isnt there anymore to rediscover an ability, that he once had; or just doesnt fit the team dynamic. In which case MM either has to drop him (temp or perm) or manage and encourage him to do better and possibly change his position; if he can fit him in for the future. Possibly to be brought on later in a game!
    He's not only one bringing nothing to team but as its on PP agree with what's being said

I really think Pawlett brings almost nothing to the team.

Occasional moment when he does something that looks decent but rarely is there an end product.

The run and goal v Dunfermline covered a lot of poor performances.

Really we should be looking at alternatives.

Agree entirely with the OP

Compare Pawlett stats with Mcmullan and the number of goals and assists

Pawlett like too many others in the squad is completely ineffective. Out of contract in summer which helps especially since he’s one of the bigger earners.

Would happily let him go in January if someone would be willing to pay a decent chunk of his wages. Same goes for Cammy Smith, McMullan, Powers and Clark. They’re all ok players but now we’re back in top flight we can and must attract better.

A lot of good Prem players available on pre-contracts in Jan. Hoping we pick up as many points as possible between now and then to make us an attractive proposition for next season.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)