+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing interest

Losing interest

Not so much as a result of poor performances and management, although that becomes more exaggerated during the current situation, but because of the lack of a "match day experience".
    I'm missing the pre and post match in the pub, the faces that I'd see at every game, the usual gripes and moans and everything else that made up the day. Watching a game online in an empty stadium is doing nothing to rekindle my enthusiasm and is making me realise that the social side of the day was probably a big part of it and once that habit is broken it becomes difficult to start again, a view I've heard from supporters of various clubs. Obviously this isn't the fault of Notts, but in light of this it becomes even more important for the team not to push us further towards the exit but, sadly, I see no signs of real improvement.
    I realise that I will now be condemned as not being a true supporter but after a hell of a lot of years following the club I won't worry about that.

I've been losing interest in football steadily for the last 10 years. Football has lost its way and its soul. It seems it is for ****agers and people who play FIFA these days.

The longer the stadium ban continues, more people will start mentally drifting away, and when crowds are finally allowed back in, if their team is underperforming, the desire to return wont be there.

I've only watched one Premier League game live this season and I prefer to now know the final scores before I watch the highlights because I cannot find any enjoyment in believing a goal has been scored, only for it to be chalked off by VAR. If this is the future of football it's well and truly screwed.

I dont think you have said anything out of turn I agree with you it doesnt feel like you are watching pro football at times.

Perhaps we can build a pitch in a theatre we might be allowed in then !!

As a confirmed Technophobe yesterday was the first time I have ever streamed anything in my life, well done Notts for both the coverage & making it easy to use but I'm afraid it cannot replace the "matchday experience". I have followed Notts for over 50 years visiting 90 odd grounds but I have never had such a lack of interest, I have been losing it with "top flight " both Prem & England games for 15years or so & cannot remember the last time I watched a full game on TV but now it is spreading down the leagues & I can't even be bothered watching the FL highlights. I honestly don't think that I will ever lose all interest in Notts but the longer this goes on the more I worry that it may never appeal like it has in the past, I hope I'm wrong. COYP

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    As a confirmed Technophobe yesterday was the first time I have ever streamed anything in my life, well done Notts for both the coverage & making it easy to use but I'm afraid it cannot replace the "matchday experience". I have followed Notts for over 50 years visiting 90 odd grounds but I have never had such a lack of interest, I have been losing it with "top flight " both Prem & England games for 15years or so & cannot remember the last time I watched a full game on TV but now it is spreading down the leagues & I can't even be bothered watching the FL highlights. I honestly don't think that I will ever lose all interest in Notts but the longer this goes on the more I worry that it may never appeal like it has in the past, I hope I'm wrong. COYP
    Which is exactly the way that I feel and I wonder if it's just us older supporters that are thinking like this?

I’m quite optimistic that crowds will be bigger when we’re let back in. People will realise what they’ve missed and want to get back to it

DISCLAIMER; This might not apply to Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I've only watched one Premier League game live this season and I prefer to now know the final scores before I watch the highlights because I cannot find any enjoyment in believing a goal has been scored, only for it to be chalked off by VAR. If this is the future of football it's well and truly screwed.
    I've followed F1 for years but increasingly the "rules" are interfering. One of the most annoying is when someone has gone off the track but in a safe place, and one of the better innovations in recent year has been the "virtual" safety car, so basically everyone else maintains their position (except those lucky enough to be needing a tyre change) at a slower speed. But often, just to close the gap to the leaders a decision is made for a full safety car, so the guy in front who has worked his socks off to get a 10s lead suddenly has it closed down.

Last night's "width of a hair" off-side decision was farcical - where's the clear and obvious error? Oh yes, goalie possibly destroying a footballer's career - but no, not even looked at.

I guess we are just not very good with the use of technology yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Not so much as a result of poor performances and management, although that becomes more exaggerated during the current situation, but because of the lack of a "match day experience".
    I'm missing the pre and post match in the pub, the faces that I'd see at every game, the usual gripes and moans and everything else that made up the day. Watching a game online in an empty stadium is doing nothing to rekindle my enthusiasm and is making me realise that the social side of the day was probably a big part of it and once that habit is broken it becomes difficult to start again, a view I've heard from supporters of various clubs. Obviously this isn't the fault of Notts, but in light of this it becomes even more important for the team not to push us further towards the exit but, sadly, I see no signs of real improvement.
    I realise that I will now be condemned as not being a true supporter but after a hell of a lot of years following the club I won't worry about that.
    I don’t think anyone on here (apart from the odd keyboard warrior) will accuse you of not being a true supporter. I understand where you’re coming from. I had planned to stream all the home games but yesterday just couldn’t be bothered and ended up listening to radio whilst doing the pots! Let’s just hope there is enough of us still interested after all this madness. On your other point, yesterday was typical Notts right? Chance to go top and flopped it. We certainly look the better footballing team in all of our games but we are such a soft touch at the moment. We really miss Thomas and Roberts and also might need to get Turner fit and playing to help out at set pieces.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast