+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord Sumption

Lord Sumption

But the main culprits are not the public but Ministers, who have got caught in a trap of their own making. They stoked up people's fears to justify their decisions and induce compliance. They promised the impossible and, when the inevitable failure came, they blamed it on the public for not complying with their commands. The real reason Ministers have not dared answer the questions posed by their policies is that their purpose is not to suppress the virus, which they know is impossible. It is to shield themselves from responsibility.

Take a bow sir.

Boris, Hancock, Stammer and Sturgeon take note.

I think it is a bit unfair to blame the ministers. If you had been in charge/responsible for doing something about covid what would you have done? I think you would ask people who are supposed to be experts what they thought should be done. Remember there was a terrific head of steam because the media were full of stories about Wuhan. The images of new panic built hospitals and thousands of people dying from a disease that had a high transmission rate from person to person.

The basic plan was sound. Shut down isolate and keep safe. There was a major problem for all who were in charge of the NHS. They had failed to take action to prepare the country for a pandemic which they had proved during an exercise, was needed. Everyone of them was guilty and they all knew it. I think that's why they created the approach that they did. Nicola said they were going to crush the virus , kill it. This got compliance. I don't believe that this was a lie designed to win compliance. I think they thought they could suppress it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I think it is a bit unfair to blame the ministers. If you had been in charge/responsible for doing something about covid what would you have done? I think you would ask people who are supposed to be experts what they thought should be done. Remember there was a terrific head of steam because the media were full of stories about Wuhan. The images of new panic built hospitals and thousands of people dying from a disease that had a high transmission rate from person to person.

The basic plan was sound. Shut down isolate and keep safe. There was a major problem for all who were in charge of the NHS. They had failed to take action to prepare the country for a pandemic which they had proved during an exercise, was needed. Everyone of them was guilty and they all knew it. I think that's why they created the approach that they did. Nicola said they were going to crush the virus , kill it. This got compliance. I don't believe that this was a lie designed to win compliance. I think they thought they could suppress it.
    Virus peaked 2nd week in April, everything since then has been bull.

I'll give you some more.

They believe they will be criticised for the covid 19 deaths but that they will get away with the indirect consequences of their brutal counter measures: the cancer deaths the lonlieness and mental breakdowns, the poverty and job destruction, the public and private bankruptcy. Truth is the first victim of this process but it is not very high on this Govts agenda.

Having got itself into a pattern of coercion, the govt does not dare to change course, for fear of discrediting it's own past decisions.

As i say, take a bow.

Yet even fear has its limits. As public trust drains away, it is forced to keep up the atmosphere of panic by ever more hyped up alarms , misleading stats, draconian fines, bullying threats, appeals to sneaks and informers and cavalier disregard for the basic values by which people live

As for me......months ago on dab mad I flagged up the Swedish approach.

I've not changed my mind in ahh that time.

I think the Swedish analogy is interesting. I used to buy furniture from Sweden. They were lovely people to deal with but very different in their attitudes to authority. Somehow they were much more accepting of there was a Swedish way. They were happy to be Swedish and absolutely thought that their way was the best way.
    I don't think they have anything like the same attitude to authority that the Scots English Welsh and Irish have. You hear comment that Swedes trust their politicians. That's a massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I think the Swedish analogy is interesting. I used to buy furniture from Sweden. They were lovely people to deal with but very different in their attitudes to authority. Somehow they were much more accepting of there was a Swedish way. They were happy to be Swedish and absolutely thought that their way was the best way.
    I don't think they have anything like the same attitude to authority that the Scots English Welsh and Irish have. You hear comment that Swedes trust their politicians. That's a massive difference.
    Since their "refugee" all welcome message and the refugees not exactly being grateful a lot of that trust has evaporated.

Swedes are a lot more questioning of their politicians now than they were even 3 or 4 years ago..

But they have got covid pretty much spot on apart from a similar shambles to care homes like Sturgeon had.

Placed trust in their people to rate their own risk and act accordingly.

If Twitter can flag up Donald Trump's misinformation posts, can we get similar for RROS

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    If Twitter can flag up Donald Trump's misinformation posts, can we get similar for RROS
    Why don't you pay for it, you can take the money out your state pension fund.😂😂😂

I won't get near that for years yet, I'm still a baby compared to some on here

Sweden - 6000 deaths
    Norway - 280 deaths

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)