+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Spurs Smash & Grab Pays Dividends

Spurs Smash & Grab Pays Dividends

Sean Dyche came close to earning a point at Turf Moor, but was denied by a tale of two corners. - External Link

When the Premier League was re-started behind closed doors, fans like myself were relieved that there would be some live football to engage us, albeit in the artificial and sterile surroundings of empty stadiums; we consoled ourselves that, as a short term solution, it was better than nothing.

Now, however, I am not so sure. Compelled to watch matches on television at inconvenient times; without the anticipation of going along to the ground and thereby denied the opportunity to experience and participate in the proceedings; to get behind the team and lend them support in an effort to raise their game and deter the opposition.

Take last night’s game between Burnley and Spurs; nominally at Turf Moor, but it could have been anywhere. The lack of any sort of atmosphere reduces watching your team to little more than a passionless, academic exercise. One should not feel that way when following one’s team.

The game itself was a tale of two corners. For Spurs it was the best of times, for Burnley it was the worst of times.

The two teams more or less cancelled each other out through a goalless first half, notable largely for Ashley Barnes drawing blood from Toby Alderweireld’s forehead as the pair contested a header; obliging the Tottenham defender to play out the remainder of the game with his head heavily bandaged.

In the second half it was Burnley who looked the more assured, the more composed and the more threatening. Tottenham’s potent strike force of Harry Kane and Son Heung Min were being handled with aplomb by James Tarkowski and Kevin Long; whilst Josh Brownhill flitted effectively around the midfield.

Eric Dier, under pressure from Chris Wood, was flustered into a jittery clearance which struck Wood – who was a matter of inches away- on the elbow and rebounded neatly into the Clarets striker’s path and bearing down on Hugo Lloris’ goal.

Referee Michael Oliver deemed that Wood had handled the ball and let Dier and Spurs off the hook. There was no way that Wood could have deliberately handled the ball, he was simply too close to Dier to do anything about how he made contact with the ball – a point he made forcibly to Oliver.

It is worth begging the question what if it had been Dier who handled the ball; would he have been penalised and Burnley awarded a free kick or a penalty? Answers on a postcard please.

It was during this spell that the first of those corners came to pass; James Tarkowski leaping highest to head towards goal only to find Harry Kane’s head preventing the ball from crossing the goal line.

Burnley would have deserved the lead at that point and may well have gone on to win.

The second corner came soon afterwards, this time at the other end, when Kane’s flicked header across the Burnley goal mouth was met by a spring-heeled Son who headed into the roof of the Burnley net for the game’s only goal.

Kane and Son are world-class players and Son in particular is in the form of his life, it was a brilliant opportunistic finish, but suggestions coming from Andy Hinchcliffe in the Sky TV commentary box that this was some fiendishly planned and perfectly executed training-ground manoeuvre is absurd. I of course hold myself a hostage to fortune in writing that.

What is worse for a Burnley fan to endure; the team not showing up at Newcastle; or getting mugged by Tottenham?

This was a game Burnley should not have lost, but they did, and the wait for the first win of the season goes on. If they continue to display the same level of aptitude and application as they did last night, we fans should not be kept waiting too much longer.

Dave Thornley reflects on yet another fan-less, soulless televised English Premier League game. What is the point of playing this sterile football? (TEC).

I agree that they had the bit of luck that you need to score their goal ----it was just a flick on and fell to Son, nothing more, nothing less!

"Kane and Son are world-class players and Son in particular is in the form of his life, it was a brilliant opportunistic finish, but suggestions coming from Andy Hinchcliffe in the Sky TV commentary box that this was some fiendishly planned and perfectly executed training-ground manoeuvre is absurd. I of course hold myself a hostage to fortune in writing that."

I dunno, I've seen some fairly intricate free-kick and corner routines in my time, even from the Clarets on occasion. Spurs must do something on their training ground all week, and that flick on from Kane into the space that Son was just running into didn't seem entirely accidental to me. I'm sure though that if they did work on that move in training, it would only come off perhaps twice in ten attempts, so in that respect you could say they got lucky.

Son's header was deft and clever, somehow he got the elevation on a ball coming in from behind him. Balan is blaming Pope. How the heck was he supposed to claim that cross?

Balan is blaming Pope. How the heck was he supposed to claim that cross?

I am blaming Pope for not having command in his penalty area. I am very sure all goalkeepers want a clean sheet. So he has to command that area by seeing any dangerous opposing players ,that possibly could score. Son was unmarked! Nobody covered him ,really as I have said, he has scored more goals than all the Arsenal players, but he was left alone to do what he wants ! There is a lot of movement when corners are taken,but Pope is in the best position to see all that is happening. Someone has to organise defence, but Tarks is not in a position to see all.When an opposing team starts to attack, Tarks can control the back line and other players, but on corners if he takes in this case Kane,he may not see movement behind him,and can he take his concentration of Kane? One quick movement and Kane could lose Tarks. So Pope should be shouting orders ,where he sees danger. he needs a clean sheet every game we play ,wake up Nick, do your job!

No ,Pope could not stop what happened, what I saw it happened quickly ,but he could and should have seen the danger.

One question I ask, ''are you sure we have a coaching staff''?

Billy Mercer our goalkeeping coach is one of the very best in the business Balan.

Lets look at some manual!

https://www.sportsrec.com/roles-resp...-12114108.html

Coordinating the Defence
    Goalkeepers are the eyes and ears on the field and may often see things the coaches do not. The goalkeeper communicates with the defensive players and midfielders to place them in correct position and gives them instructions to change formation to prevent the oncoming attack of the other team. The goalkeeper coordinates the defence during free kicks, corner kicks and goal kicks. More advanced players will understand and respect the role of the goalkeeper and follow their directions.

So if Mr Mercer is one of the very best in the business! Why was Son left unmarked ,or not covered ?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)