+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground Share

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    They played here when their stand burnt down in '68 and I don't think they won a game?
    Played 6 Won 0 Drew 3 Lost 3.

Little known fact, whilst Fword were sharing our ground in the early part of that 1968/69 season, both Notts and Fword reserves played at the City Ground, so as not to inflict too much wear on the Meadow Lane pitch.

In pre-Meadow Lane days, we did play over there fairly regularly when cricket took priority, recording wins over Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Everton.
    First to win a Trentside derby at The City Ground was Notts, 3-0 in 1900 after the first ever clash there had ended 0-0 a year earlier. We were also first to win a derby match at Meadow Lane.

Good scouting opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

Little known fact, whilst Fword were sharing our ground in the early part of that 1968/69 season, both Notts and Fword reserves played at the City Ground, so as not to inflict too much wear on the Meadow Lane pitch.

In pre-Meadow Lane days, we did play over there fairly regularly when cricket took priority, recording wins over Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Everton.
    First to win a Trentside derby at The City Ground was Notts, 3-0 in 1900 after the first ever clash there had ended 0-0 a year earlier. We were also first to win a derby match at Meadow Lane.
    Another great history lesson UTM, thanks. Mind you if you ponder too much on the past it does tend to get you more despairing of the level we find ourselves at now.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

I was in the Forest stand at the time it caught fire against Leeds, 1-1 at half time.

I was in the Forest stand at the time it caught fire against Leeds, 1-1 at half time.

It's a wonder nobody was killed. Film footage is pretty shocking, especially the TV camera ablaze at the end (It was the first game to be covered for the Midlands version of "Star Soccer", three cameras were destroyed in the days when they were super expensive pieces of equipment) see here .....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDhamOK4O4

Me to

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Me to
    And where were Notts on the day of the fire?
    Where ekse but Bradford!...... though not City, but Bradford Park Avenue, 1-0 down at the time of the blaze before fighting back to earn a 1-1 draw in the 2nd half. Jack Dunnett read about the fire on the way home to London and then immediately contacted directors Lew Levin and Bill Hopcroft who agreed to invite Forest to use Meadow Lane, a deal being thrashed out the following week.

I believe Forest's first game at Meadow Lane was against West Brom, in the League Cup.

Jeff Astle, West Brom's centre forward, playing on the ground where he started his career, was greeted with chants of "Notts County reject."

Astle had the last laugh, as he scored twice in West Brom's 3-2 win.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Another great history lesson UTM, thanks. Mind you if you ponder too much on the past it does tend to get you more despairing of the level we find ourselves at now.
    Yep echo the thoughts about UTM, always interesting posts unlike myself ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    I believe Forest's first game at Meadow Lane was against West Brom, in the League Cup.

Jeff Astle, West Brom's centre forward, playing on the ground where he started his career, was greeted with chants of "Notts County reject."

Astle had the last laugh, as he scored twice in West Brom's 3-2 win.
    Chants were great years ago, dead original . . . "County reject, County reject . . . 'Ello, 'Ello!".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast