+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Can it get more ridiculous

[QUOTE=islaydarkblue;39613301]
    Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    The author of this article Gordon McIntyre-Kemp is not exactly unbiased when it comes to promoting Scotland.
    I enclose his Facebook page.
    He is the founder of Believe in Scotland, the grassroots-action focussed campaign for Scottish independence. https://m.facebook.com/gordon.macint...2%3A1604321208
    Islay, if you read his articles you can see where he is coming from. It is interesting and there is no problem with his pedigree. He does not convince me because he has a couple of assumptions that seem to me to be difficult to accept. Firstly Scotland should have kept oil revenues. I agree that things would be different today if we had been able to do that. We didn't so we should be looking at what our future will be going forward from where we are.

From this initial position he goes on to say that we would not have borrowed any amount. I find that hard to believe, but then I am a doubter not an enthusiastic supporter of independence.

Can anyone explain why the person quoted is not always correct.

[QUOTE=BCram;39613391]
    Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post

Islay, if you read his articles you can see where he is coming from. It is interesting and there is no problem with his pedigree. He does not convince me because he has a couple of assumptions that seem to me to be difficult to accept. Firstly Scotland should have kept oil revenues. I agree that things would be different today if we had been able to do that. We didn't so we should be looking at what our future will be going forward from where we are.

From this initial position he goes on to say that we would not have borrowed any amount. I find that hard to believe, but then I am a doubter not an enthusiastic supporter of independence.
    People have to remember that it is only the taxation on a barrel of oil that is handed over to the U.K. Treasury. It is not the entire cost of a barrel of oil otherwise this oil would still be still in the ground under the North Sea.
    The money raised from all forms of taxation throughout the UK is used to run organisations such as the NHS and pay for the block grant for the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland under the rules of the Barnett Formula.
    Last edited by islaydarkblue; 02-11-2020 at 05:31 PM.

[QUOTE=islaydarkblue;39613505]
    Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    People have to remember that it is only the taxation on a barrel of oil that is handed over to the U.K. Treasury. It is not the entire cost of a barrel of oil otherwise this oil would still be still in the ground under the North Sea.
    The money raised from all forms of taxation throughout the UK is used to run organisations such as the NHS and pay for the block grant for the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland under the rules of the Barnett Formula.
    And you need to remember that if Scotland was raising that taxation independently it would stay in Scotland and not be divided up between Scotland the other three nations that form the ever loosening union.

Can the Jurassic era come collect its dinosaur, cheers.

[QUOTE=Deeranged;39613511]

And you need to remember that if Scotland was raising that taxation independently it would stay in Scotland and not be divided up between Scotland the other three nations that form the ever loosening union.
    You are correct that if Scotland raised its own taxation independently it would be kept in Scotland but it would also have to use that taxation to pay for all its outlays. It would have to pay for all the benefits and state pensions currently paid by the DWP. No money would be received from the the annual block grant from Westminster known as the Barnett Formula.
    Some of the residents on Islay think that the taxation from whisky should remain on Islay.
    However this is another myth. The vast majority of whisky produced on Islay is transported to the Mainland where it is stored in huge bonded warehouses in Central Scotland. So much for this whisky maturing in the windswept Islay air.
    The duty is only paid when the whisky leaves the bonded warehouses.

And the line moves further, 74 year old great granny being arrested for taking their mother out of a care home.

Meanwhile in trying to eradicate covid the powers that be seem to be eradicating all other respitory conditions......strange that.😀

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)