+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Forfeiting games due to Covid

Forfeiting games due to Covid

See this is getting some press at the moment, where clubs are unable to name a squad because of positive Covid results there would appear to be some thinking that clubs could be forced to forfeit the points. What’s a’body’s thinking about this?

Personally, I can’t get my head around why a Premier League club can’t fulfil a fixture because a few players are ruled out. Surely, the clubs in the top division must have some kind of a reserve/youth set up whereby they could step players up to the first team in an emergency situation, or am I missing something?

Yes, seems odd that they wouldn't be able to field any sort of team at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I know, I get not having some of a first team squad available would put any club at a disadvantage and would affect even the biggest of clubs, take the kiddie fiddlers on Saturday for example, but if a club is playing in the top division of any country and has only 20 odd players in total to choose from then WTF

If it gets us a top 6 finish I'm all for this 🤩

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Do Prem teams have to nominate/register a first team squad like in UEFA which would mean kids can't be called up in emergencies?

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Do Prem teams have to nominate/register a first team squad like in UEFA which would mean kids can't be called up in emergencies?
    Don’t know Stokie, tried looking it up on SPFL site but gave up after 5 minutes, however, if clubs can bring in emergency signings, then surely they can bring in players from within their own ranks without to much officialdom no?

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    Don’t know Stokie, tried looking it up on SPFL site but gave up after 5 minutes, however, if clubs can bring in emergency signings, then surely they can bring in players from within their own ranks without to much officialdom no?
    Well if St Mirrn can't field a team next time we play them we should insist on playing just so we can see our midfield dominate them 😁

I think the rule is you need to have 13 players and ST Mirren only had 12.What complicates it is they had players like Christie who although negative had to isolate.
    The SPFL gave us the usual we are investigating but they are still doing the same with Kilmarnock from a fortnight ago.

I think one of this issues is because youth teams don't train with the main squads every day, they are not in the same secure bubble and that causes an issue with testing. I think for example St Mirren on Saturday, couldn't bring in a half dozen under 18s due to them not being tested.

I think its tough to punish clubs for catching a deadly virus unless it turns out there were some breaches of protocol by the club

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I think the rule is you need to have 13 players and ST Mirren only had 12.What complicates it is they had players like Christie who although negative had to isolate.
    The SPFL gave us the usual we are investigating but they are still doing the same with Kilmarnock from a fortnight ago.
    GB think that eufa rule is you must have 13 players with at least one being a goal keeper or you can get match posponed.St mirren were being forced earlier in the season to play without a goalie though till they borrowed one from hearts why was that rule not used then?They make up the rules they are going from match to match.They knew about the virus before season was started rules should have been put in then.Aberdeen Celtic and St mirren have had matchs poponed while forfar and Killy have had 3-0 defeats in cup and stmirren were being forced to play without a recognised goalie.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)