+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: European Super League?

I have to say I really don't care what the top teams do, European Super League, Champions League, Premier League, what's the difference?

Let's be right for many of us on this board for example the likelihood of us seeing Notts getting anywhere close to competing at those levels is less than zero. With that in mind I just want to know that I can continue to follow Notts whatever league they are in and will be fully invested in that and not what's happening in what is essentially an alternate universe.

I realise there is a bigger picture and the traditionalists will generally be up in arms about it and will quite rightly be worried about the future of the game, especially at grass roots level but unfortunately the world is changing in all aspects of life, not just football, whether we like it or not.

The most important thing in my mind is that the club I support does everything it can to sustain an existence and serve it's community in the best possible way it can and I honestly believe we are seeing signs of that under the current ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Good riddance to all of them..
    Could not agree more Durham, lets get to some form of reality where if you are good enough to get promoted shall we say the Championship a league which most clubs from the National League upwards should have the capabilities to aspire to. The Gareth Bale situations at Spurs is just Pie in the Sky to the majority of Clubs up to the Championship in my book.

One month of his salary would keep most clubs in the National League, Leagues One & Two safe for the best part of a season, Disgusting in Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Apparently talks have been held including 5 Premier League clubs looking at forming an ESL from 2022. There would be 18 teams involved.
    I suppose it could be to our benefit if we are still in this league and it goes ahead. If the PL and EFL want to maintain numbers, it could mean the top 7 from the National League being promoted. Knowing us, we would finish 8th!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Well let's hope that fans of all clubs, particularly the Top 6, vote with their feet. This of course won't happen with all the plastic bandwagon fans, but I'd like to think that all the hardcore who value the traditions of the game will.
    The fans haha as if they have a say.

If this goes ahead which im not convinced it will games will be played in USA, China, Dubai etc

The idea is to replace the Champions League with this ESL, not for teams to leave their domestic leagues, but there would be pressure on the PL to reduce to 18.

Looks like Real Madrid, Barcelona and PSG are causing the most unrest because the leagues they play in are less competitive in comparison to England, Germany and Italy. Maybe the Spanish, Portuguese and French leagues should merge to make them more attractive to a global audience. Seems crazy that smaller countries like Holland and Belgium haven't merged by now. Historically there are obvious reasons for each country having its' own league but not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The idea is to replace the Champions League with this ESL, not for teams to leave their domestic leagues, but there would be pressure on the PL to reduce to 18.

Looks like Real Madrid, Barcelona and PSG are causing the most unrest because the leagues they play in are less competitive in comparison to England, Germany and Italy. Maybe the Spanish, Portuguese and French leagues should merge to make them more attractive to a global audience. Seems crazy that smaller countries like Holland and Belgium haven't merged by now. Historically there are obvious reasons for each country having its' own league but not anymore.
    Not how I read it.

From Sky Sports:

'They added that the European Premier League was likely to feature either 16 or 18 teams - meaning a likely minimum of 30 matches for each club, based on a format of round-robin home and away fixtures - although that is said to be among the details being finalised ahead of a formal announcement.'

How could they still play 38 Premiership games?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Not how I read it.

From Sky Sports:

'They added that the European Premier League was likely to feature either 16 or 18 teams - meaning a likely minimum of 30 matches for each club, based on a format of round-robin home and away fixtures - although that is said to be among the details being finalised ahead of a formal announcement.'

How could they still play 38 Premiership games?
    BBC says "Sources told the BBC that discussions are still at an early stage but the plan would involve replacing the Champions League with a new format."

Successful English sides would typically play 60-ish games a season in the current set up.

An 18 team Premier league would be 34 games, a 16 team ESL would be 30 games. Total 64.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    BBC says "Sources told the BBC that discussions are still at an early stage but the plan would involve replacing the Champions League with a new format."

Successful English sides would typically play 60-ish games a season in the current set up.

An 18 team Premier league would be 34 games, a 16 team ESL would be 30 games. Total 64.
    'As part of the initial blueprint, founder clubs could not be relegated for 20 years, meaning that a maximum of six places would be available each season'.

That sounds really fair!

No incentive for them to play their strongest teams in the Premier League as they will concentrate on the ESL and they know they will be in it for the next 20 years. That will de-value the Premier League as winning it won't mean so much and there may even be a chance that if you win it, you won't get into the ESL. FA Cup will get even more devalued.

The TV money will all be aimed at the ESL, Premier League will get less and so the EFL will get less. Meanwhile the 'big 4, 5 or 6' go from strength to strength. Transfer fees will continue to escalate, 'lesser' teams won't have a chance of getting the top players.

34 games in the Prem, 30 games (or 34) in the ESL + play off games + FA Cup games (unless of course they pull out of these?) will equal around 70 games +

When will they play international games?

I’m so glad I was able to enjoy football as a kid in the 70’s, so far removed from the here and now

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I’m so glad I was able to enjoy football as a kid in the 70’s, so far removed from the here and now
    I feel the same. It's reached the point where the FA, PL and EFL should just step down and let Sky & Co run the game.

At least then it would be transparent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast