+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: European Super League?

European Super League?

Apparently talks have been held including 5 Premier League clubs looking at forming an ESL from 2022. There would be 18 teams involved. FIFA involved.

Final nail in the coffin? Or, maybe, a new start and a more exciting Premier League?

For me, the second although I guess most of the TV money will go to them, so less to feed down the leagues. Forget the talk of the big teams helping the others, this is pure greed and shows them in their true colours.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Apparently talks have been held including 5 Premier League clubs looking at forming an ESL from 2022. There would be 18 teams involved. FIFA involved.

Final nail in the coffin? Or, maybe, a new start and a more exciting Premier League?

For me, the second although I guess most of the TV money will go to them, so less to feed down the leagues. Forget the talk of the big teams helping the others, this is pure greed and shows them in their true colours.
    An ESL will be boring if one team ever runs away with the title, what would the rest be playing for other than prize money? A big part of the Premier League is the fight for Champions League spots.

I'm surprised it wasn't set up years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    An ESL will be boring if one team ever runs away with the title, what would the rest be playing for other than prize money? A big part of the Premier League is the fight for Champions League spots.
    Prize money - that's all that will matter.

Sounds like it might be just a chess move for the big clubs to strengthen their position in the debate for the future of the Champions League.

... the money clubs have always wanted this. Rich get richer and f the rest ...

Good riddance to all of them..

I for one won't be watching for a moment. ruins the ethos of the game.

Well let's hope that fans of all clubs, particularly the Top 6, vote with their feet. This of course won't happen with all the plastic bandwagon fans, but I'd like to think that all the hardcore who value the traditions of the game will.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I for one won't be watching for a moment. ruins the ethos of the game.
    Too right Queenie. The ultimate progression of this reduction of competing clubs would be watching the last eight richest clubs in the world playing each other endlessly for - what? For how long will the TV companies keep showing Man City v Barcelona followed by PSG v Juventus before the repetition bores the viewer stupid and sends genuine football fans back to the terraces to watch live competitive football. The entertainment value of such pointless lack of competition is nil.

In a way I hope they get their way and bugger off and take their faux fans with them. The masses can then be left to watch their own town's team play and win - or lose - or draw.

Win or lose, have a booze.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast