+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘The Problem’

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    After that January transfer window I was convinced we'd stay up.
    I started to get optimistic after we drew at home to Lincoln, won away at Forest Green, and then beat Mansfield at home. We had real momentum (no not that momentum Soccerman), because we had beaten or drawn with teams at the top end of the table and survival looked a formality. Some on here were predicting mid-table (Magpie Mike was one before you ask laddo) but then it all went tits up. All that momentum was lost when Newport stuffed us at home, and the rest is the sorriest chapter in our long history.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Easily explained. The owner made a premature sacking decision, not once but twice.

Out of interest, when Ardley was appointed with more than half a season to go and us within a point or two of safety, did you see relegation as inevitable due to what had gone on before? Or did you think that any semi-competent manager had the time and backing to keep us up?
    No that's not answered the question. How do you go from performing well and being unlucky in a play off semi final, then have a full summer with expensive exciting additions thanks to the chairman. Same impressive squad with 2 big signings and then start the season so horribly with no wins and 14 goals conceded in just 5 games.

How bad was that summer/pre-season for Notts.

As for your question, I didn't know much about Ardley at all tbh when Hardy appointed him. I expected an upturn in form no doubt, especially with the additions in January. At that point I expected aurvival.

However at the time of his appointment us fans thought all the problems were on field little did we know of the huge problems off field.

In hindsight how it ended didn't really surprise me. We looked relegation quality under Nolan, under Kewell bar three wins on trot that quickly disappeared and under Ardley. The Macclesfield home defeat was when I left the ground thinking we are f%#ked and so it proved.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    The fact that we have lost twice to Harrogate since then
    We are talking about what happened back in March! That's like saying you are sure that Liverpool would have lost to Villa last season because they put 7 past them this season!

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    No that's not answered the question.
    It did answer the question. I thought saying "the owner made a premature sacking decision, not once but twice" was pretty clear.

As for your question, I didn't know much about Ardley at all tbh when Hardy appointed him. I expected an upturn in form no doubt, especially with the additions in January. At that point I expected aurvival.
    So on what basis did you expect survival? A decent enough squad and enough games left to avoid the bottom two? If so, join the club.

You can either think the reason we failed is because Hardy showed his dick on social media, or because the manager failed to get the best out of his squad. I think we all know where you apportion the blame.

It did answer the question. I thought saying "the owner made a premature sacking decision, not once but twice" was pretty clear.

So on what basis did you expect survival? A decent enough squad and enough games left to avoid the bottom two? If so, join the club.

You can either think the reason we failed is because Hardy showed his dick on social media, or because the manager failed to get the best out of his squad. I think we all know where you apportion the blame.
    I would say out of those two that the second had the biggest effect but the first is just a small part of how Hardy negatively affected the club

It’s amazing how often talk returns to the relegation season - really does feel like a traumatic event (if that’s not too trite).

Don’t mind admitting that after that spell where we drew with Lincoln and beat FGR and the Stags, I was convinced we had finally turned a corner and would go on a long unbeaten run until the end of the season. Then came Newport, “fresh” from an exhausting cup game against, I think, Man City and brought us crashing back to Earth.

I think the time I finally gave up hope was the 1-0 defeat to home to 10-man Exeter, when they scored with the last kick of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I would say out of those two that the second had the biggest effect but the first is just a small part of how Hardy negatively affected the club
    Nice one m-m. The use of the term 'small part' is accurate in more ways than one!

That's the only option? Dick in a bath Vs manager failed to get the best out of the squad??

Ermmmm on that basis I'll definitely go with the second option.

No Elite let me try again, one last time. My question is how did we start the season so horribly? Before the agreed premature sacking(s).
    How did we go from a solid effective unit the previous season , performed well against quality opposition in a play off semi final then expensively recruit spending circa half a million on two players and then start the season not looking even close to winning any of the first 5 games and conceding 3 a game?

That's the question. Can't make it any clearer for you.

Once again, before the premature sacking of Nolan

Before.

No Elite let me try again, one last time. My question is how did we start the season so horribly? Before the agreed premature sacking(s).
    Take your pick from the excuses we had this season after the Dover defeat.

Playoff defeat hangover
    New players need time to gel
    Other teams saw us as a scalp and raised their game
    We are still trying to find our best formation

My concern is that we had quite a solid defence in the play-off season - 48 goals against, only 2 worse than the lowest. But the following season we were hopeless and let in 84 (the worst in the league).

Last season the defence was strong again, but this season have struggled somewhat. Hope we don't see a repeat

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast