+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘The Problem’

@Pedro. Just needs to be put on record. Dover had a very poor preseason by all accounts, they also have had a very poor start to season. 3 points from first 5 games. Are these two things connected? Yes they are, it's a perfect example of how a p!ss poor preseason detrimental impacts your start to your season. A start to a season extends beyond just the first game funnily enough.

@Notts78, good point about NA's contract if this is the final year then that is absolutely perfect for both manager and club.

Harry Kewell was of course given a 3 year when appointed. He lasted 10 (TEN) weeks before being sacked. I hope the small print in the contract saved AH some serious cash when he terminated that contract.

So much for this not turning into another pro-anti Ardley thread then.

Davy500...here’s your chance. What would another manager do differently with the current playing squad. Who can come in now, and what tactics would he/she be able to change to bolster our chances of winning this league, this season?

Very early in my career we were doing ward rounds with a consultant. We got to Mr Smith, and the consultant said that this chap could have this that and the other. Then he said something wonderful, he said he didnt know what the problem was. No ego there. Then he followed up with "we will have to wait for it to declare itself, " two wonderful things before ten o clock.

If you apply this to life in general it will avoid a lot of trouble.

Give Ardley a chance. All will become clear.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    @Pedro. Just needs to be put on record. Dover had a very poor preseason by all accounts, they also have had a very poor start to season. 3 points from first 5 games. Are these two things connected? Yes they are, it's a perfect example of how a p!ss poor preseason detrimental impacts your start to your season. A start to a season extends beyond just the first game funnily enough.

@Notts78, good point about NA's contract if this is the final year then that is absolutely perfect for both manager and club.

Harry Kewell was of course given a 3 year when appointed. He lasted 10 (TEN) weeks before being sacked. I hope the small print in the contract saved AH some serious cash when he terminated that contract.
    Well yes this was complete madness by Alan Hardy, not only did he pay compensation rumoured to be around £400,000 to Crawley to bring Kewell to Notts , i think when he appointed Kewell he actually wanted to offer him a 5 year contract, only to change his mind after 10 weeks

He then considered re appointing Nolan, who he would have been better of sticking with in the first place, and giving Nolan the money to spend on the team he wasted on Kewell, and then Ardley

He then made his biggest mistake of all appointing Ardley, who had just been sacked by wimbledon for winning 3 out of their 17 games

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    So much for this not turning into another pro-anti Ardley thread then.

Davy500...here’s your chance. What would another manager do differently with the current playing squad. Who can come in now, and what tactics would he/she be able to change to bolster our chances of winning this league, this season?
    Well you have asked a very good question, because Notts County,s undoing in the past, has not so much that they have sacked managers, but replaced them with ones that were worse.

Couple of ideas Boreham wood manager Luke Gerrard, got them to playoffs on a limited squad and budget, Graham Alexander got Salford promoted, and started of well in league 2 before he was sacked

Above all we need a manager on the way up, having got a club promoted recently and holding their own , or got clubs with limited resources to say the play offs or top table, not managers like Ardley that were on the way down , 3 wins from 17 matches , or even kewell that had only won 18 out of the 57 matches he was in charge at Crawley .

Two good suggestions there Davy of course it only applies if we have a vacancy.

Totally agree regarding the absolute madness from Alan Hardy that season. I'd hate/love to know the exact cost financially to sack Nolan, hire Kewell, sack Kewell and hire Ardley all in such a short space of time.

Those decisions had such a huge detrimental impact on our finances, our squad morale, our stability on pretty much everything both on and off the field. Even if we had stated up by a single point, the damage had already been done during that time. The only difference is we would have been in L2 instead of NL.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well you have asked a very good question, because Notts County,s undoing in the past, has not so much that they have sacked managers, but replaced them with ones that were worse.

Couple of ideas Boreham wood manager Luke Gerrard, got them to playoffs on a limited squad and budget, Graham Alexander got Salford promoted, and started of well in league 2 before he was sacked

Above all we need a manager on the way up, having got a club promoted recently and holding their own , or got clubs with limited resources to say the play offs or top table, not managers like Ardley that were on the way down , 3 wins from 17 matches , or even kewell that had only won 18 out of the 57 matches he was in charge at Crawley .
    I assume you mean Luke Garrard? He has done very well with Borehamwood. My concern would be 1/ he has an affinity to the club as he played 150 odd games. The most he played at any club so would he command respect from the superstars at Notts? Or would most fans want him? 2/ it’s easier to manage a club with little expectation. How would he cope with the pressure at Notts?
    Graham Alexander would be interesting. Played at a good level. Managed in and around the level Notts operate. My concern is that some look at Salford and assume they are a small club but they have some serious backing.
    For me the obvious choice for manager would be Danny Cowley. Though his expectations are probably set higher. If he was interested I would expect he could ‘do a Lincoln’.
    That all said, I would like to see if Ardley can finish the job this season by taking us up.
    I know you will disagree, that is perfectly clear BUT the players seem to like him and that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I assume you mean Luke Garrard? He has done very well with Borehamwood. My concern would be 1/ he has an affinity to the club as he played 150 odd games. The most he played at any club so would he command respect from the superstars at Notts? Or would most fans want him? 2/ it’s easier to manage a club with little expectation. How would he cope with the pressure at Notts?
    Graham Alexander would be interesting. Played at a good level. Managed in and around the level Notts operate. My concern is that some look at Salford and assume they are a small club but they have some serious backing.
    For me the obvious choice for manager would be Danny Cowley. Though his expectations are probably set higher. If he was interested I would expect he could ‘do a Lincoln’.
    That all said, I would like to see if Ardley can finish the job this season by taking us up.
    I know you will disagree, that is perfectly clear BUT the players seem to like him and that is important.
    Only Time will tell if Ardley can finish the job?? I think not based on what i have seen from him over the last 2 years, others despite making continual excuses for his failures, think he can ,seems pretty much 50. 50 for and against at the moment

It would be interesting to see how Garrard would handle the pressure, but he might thrive on the incresed budget and resources at Notts
    Graham Alexander would be good, don,t forget Notts have some serious backing at this level compared to other clubs, look at how many players Ardley has brought in
    Danny Cowley definately, but i doubt he would drop back down to this level, i would expect he wants another championship club, or league one at lowest

Yes it would be interesting to see how Luke Garrad handles the pressure

A manager who does well at one club doesn’t necessarily do well at another (Sirrel at Sheffield United, Clough at Leeds United). It’s a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by applepie View Post
    A manager who does well at one club doesn’t necessarily do well at another (Sirrel at Sheffield United, Clough at Leeds United). It’s a gamble.
    The current Stags manager is the best example of that.

To be fair to Jimmy in regard to Sheff Utd, they got a whole lot worse after they sacked him, they suffered two further relegations all the way down to tier 4, so there must have been a lot of things wrong with that club at the time.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast