+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘The Problem’

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Not sure that's sort of analysis is needed after just 5 league games, that could set a dangerous precedent on here.
    It was you who stated it "was the biggest problem to you".

If pushed I'd say 0% Owners, 50% Manager, 50% players.
    Really? So you're saying the worrying style we try to play is equally down to the manager and the players???

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Out of interest, why do people think Ardley is ‘here for the foreseeable’, or that the owners are more patient than previous incumbents? I’ve seen it said quite a few times, but I don’t know what it’s based on. I didn’t think Hardy was a sacker until he got rid of Nolan 5 games into the season.

I just think Ardley is tactically inept, demonstrated in the playoff final, and further evidenced on Saturday. Other managers seem much more capable of effecting games with much fewer resources. He wants to play passing football, but I’m not sure he knows why.
    I don't think even teams at the top play that way anymore, it's like barca 2010 without the players. We're slow in our transitions which means every move has to be perfect and it does work sometimes like Knowles goal on Saturday but the top teams move it but with purpose, we don't seem to go anywhere much. The real problem though is the defence, you can't let 3 in at home to Maidenhead, sorry that's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It was you who stated it "was the biggest problem to you".

Really? So you're saying the worrying style we try to play is equally down to the manager and the players???
    Here we go again.

The thread is called "The Problem" that was the question. There's various issues at present I just agreed with another poster what the biggest one is. Not sure how all that relates to a breakdown of blame after a handful of games. Save that for end of season chap and maybe try just answering the question.

And in answer to your second question, no. My breakdown in blame wasn't restricted just to style of play. That's obviously on the manager. It's linked to all the weaknesses and problems identified. You decided to combine the two to ask your question.

Let's not derail and ruin another thread , this looks a good one

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I don't think even teams at the top play that way anymore, it's like barca 2010 without the players. We're slow in our transitions which means every move has to be perfect and it does work sometimes like Knowles goal on Saturday but the top teams move it but with purpose, we don't seem to go anywhere much. The real problem though is the defence, you can't let 3 in at home to Maidenhead, sorry that's crap.

When the flowing football works, it’s great and we’ve started games (even Dover) really well this season, but haven’t been able to maintain it for more than half an hour. Then the problem with defending set pieces rears it’s ugly head and we give games away. I can’t see what’s going to happen to change things. He has been manager for 2 years.

Let's not derail and ruin another thread , this looks a good one

It's an excellent thread, because you inadvertently admitted the truth.

I don't think I'll be the only one to spot it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    When the flowing football works, it’s great and we’ve started games (even Dover) really well this season, but haven’t been able to maintain it for more than half an hour. Then the problem with defending set pieces rears it’s ugly head and we give games away. I can’t see what’s going to happen to change things. He has been manager for 2 years.
    Yeah I'm not sure myself it'll change, the players can do more though as if they are switching off at ***** times then they have to look at themselves. Is the squad we have assembled too lightweight, I think we all agree we need another destroyer in the middle and more height at the back or through the team. Have the players at our level the ability to play the way Ardley wants for 90 mins as like you say they can do it for short periods where they look great then it drops off. I worry about our over reliance on Roberts as well. Will Enzio become the player we think he can be or does he just not have that instinct in him. More questions than answers at the moment for me. All I will say is last season we had Barrow and Harrogate and this year have Stockport and Hartlepool, it's going to be harder to get up and I worry we're going to go backwards.

I believe the owners are stats men and if ours look like more shots, more possession, more passes completed then I think they will still stick with him. We need to get rid of the soft underbelly and now, as others have said you need to be pretty much a machine in this league to go up.

Tbh I don't think anyone really cares as much as you.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I posted elsewhere that we’ve conceded as many goals in the last three home games as in the preceding nine games from last season. What’s changed? Most obvious thing is the formation - from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3: we’ve sacrificed one man in midfield for another forward. That worked well against Altrincham (a side that tried to play a passing game); was great for 40 minutes against Barnet, until they started pressing higher up the pitch; and was OK for 45 minutes against a physical, direct Maidenhead. But the forwards need to be involved all the time, otherwise you’re carrying players.

Rodrigues is clearly a good footballer, but he’s a liability in our own penalty area. When it comes to defending set plays, it’s not just about the four defenders. Wootton lost his man at Dover and was outmuscled for the second goal on Saturday. Mitch Rose couldn’t pass to save his life, but he gave us some height and strength at set pieces and in the centre of the park, which we’re now lacking. Let’s hope Wolfe can do that job.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I posted elsewhere that we’ve conceded as many goals in the last three home games as in the preceding nine games from last season. What’s changed? Most obvious thing is the formation - from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3: we’ve sacrificed one man in midfield for another forward. That worked well against Altrincham (a side that tried to play a passing game); was great for 40 minutes against Barnet, until they started pressing higher up the pitch; and was OK for 45 minutes against a physical, direct Maidenhead. But the forwards need to be involved all the time, otherwise you’re carrying players.

Rodrigues is clearly a good footballer, but he’s a liability in our own penalty area. When it comes to defending set plays, it’s not just about the four defenders. Wootton lost his man at Dover and was outmuscled for the second goal on Saturday. Mitch Rose couldn’t pass to save his life, but he gave us some height and strength at set pieces and in the centre of the park, which we’re now lacking. Let’s hope Wolfe can do that job.
    Agree 100% that every player now has a part to play attacking and defending, you cannot switch off just cause you're an attacker and you think that's not really part of your role. You defend from the front and must be prepared to give everything you have to stop a goal going in even if it means putting your head where it hurts, if you can't do it then you're carrying players as you say.

It's no fun being a Notts fan at the moment that's for sure ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    No, This isn’t to do with my pee spraying in all directions, though I would also like the answer to that....for a friend, of course.

Saturday was obviously a bitter experience for everyone on here and without starting another Ardley in - out - shake him all about - thread I’d like to hear some thoughts on what actually IS the problem with our football at the minute. For now, I think we have to accept that Ardley will be here for the foreseeable future whether we like it or not, so just what is going wrong on the pitch and how can the manager ‘turn’ it around so we are a more dominant force?

Without just saying ‘we are too negative’, or ‘we can’t deal with the high press’ or ‘we can’t defend set pieces’ I’d like to know how these problems are solved. There must be some football people on here who understand the finer intricacies of the game. I guess here I should point out that I am not actually Neal Ardley!

For me, it doesn’t seem like the players aren’t trying, or the manager has lost the dressing room. The players are good players, certainly for this level (though I don’t believe the squad is the envy of the division). The team can play some great and even dogged football at times....but something is clearly wrong.

So why....why in matches do we suddenly sometimes turn into a bunch of strangers like on Saturday afternoon? If you really have to, tell me what and how a different manager would approach the same problems but try and be more informative than the usual one line criticisms we normally see on here 👍
    We are too leaky at the back and have been since after lockdown. Against Harrogate in the playoff final, York in pre-season, Harrogate in the cup and Maidenhead we have conceded three goals.

You are not going to win many football matches if you concede this many goals a game. The clean sheet is what wins titles.

We are 7th in the table and are there solely because of the goals conceded as we would be higher had we defended our lead on Saturday. Goals scored is not a problem.

I think it requires organisation in defence, everyone doing their jobs and not losing their man and also keeping focused. Also limiting individual errors. These are tier five players so they will make mistakes so it’s making sure they are not costly. That’s the players responsibly.

I also think that we need to be a bit more ruthless and by that I mean finish teams off and put them out of sight when we take the lead first. We seem to give teams hope or something that gives then the believe they can get back into it. Barnet at home was a good example.

I think it also seems worse for many supporters and emphasises things more when we are not on top form is that we are playing at the lowest level we have played at in our long rich history. Losing to Maidenhead at home by three goals as someone pointed out on here was arguably the poorest result we’ve had at this level and for quite some time. Coming only a couple weeks after an equally poor result against Dover. Yet on the plus side we played our best 30 minutes I’ve seen us play for many years at home to Barnet.

Many Notts fans have seen their team play the biggest teams in English Football in the league on equal footing in their lifetimes. Many will have been through the Sirrell and Warnock years and seen us play at Wembley. So when we lose to semi pro teams or thrown together teams it just keeps reminding us how far we have fallen.

There is an expectation level because of where we have come from and where we want to be which is back in the football league

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast