+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘The Problem’

It's a little srange last season we were starting games slowly, regularly falling behind and performing better in the 2nd half. Defensively we were very solid but maybe weren't scoring enough.

This season we are starting on the front foot, scoring the first goal, playing better in 1st half than 2nd. Scoring plenty of goals but worrying conceding far too many goals.

The worry for some fans was how do we replace Dennis' goals, that really hasn't been a problem. The unexpected problem is at the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    It makes you shudder more than some of our past managers defensive, mildly panicky, players afraid to put their foot on the ball and pass on the deck instead taking a hot potato, aimless long ball approach?

Some of those games were as dull as dishwater, dire defensive affairs with hardly any chances created and above all no plan or pattern of play. Just looking to pick up scraps from aimless punts forward.

You may have been able to forget those periods but I haven't#shudder
    Which managers are you refering to?

As i said before their style of play may not have been to your suiting, but they above all they never relegated us, and in some cases achieved mid table or top table positions
    I havent been able to forget Ardley relegated us with negative, boring football that crumbles defensively, especially from set pieces when under pressure ...shudder

All this nonsense about we would have been champions if not for the slow start-what about the poor run from November to December then starting with the 3-0 mauling by Barrow- the real reason we were not champions, more than 3 months after the start of the season , can,t wait for the pro ardleys disciples excuses for this one haha

To be champions you have to be consistantly doing well over a season, something Ardley has never shown. Sure he can win a few games, but this is always followed by the inevitable bad patch

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Which managers are you refering to?

As i said before their style of play may not have been to your suiting, but they above all they never relegated us, and in some cases achieved mid table or top table positions
    I havent been able to forget Ardley relegated us with negative, boring football that crumbles defensively, especially from set pieces when under pressure ...shudder
    There is too many to mention , can start with

Thordarson
    Ince
    Derry (2nd season)
    Sheridan

They all kinds merge into one another.

As for the relegation season which you love to talk about as if Ardley was the only manager that season. How did Nolan and Kewell do defensively before Ardley was appointed? I haven't checked the stats but I'm very confident their goals conceded per game was worst than Ardley's. We started that season like an absolute sieve, conceding 2/3/4 goals every game.

Go on DavyFacts surprise me and tell me our defense got worse.

As for the Notts could have been champions if not for the enforced slow start , you can't say they would have or wouldn't . How many points did we drop in those first two months cos of the lack of a preseason or preparation? Half a dozen? More? Less? Either way we would have been a lot closer than 7 points behind Barrow and in clearly better form. As demonstrated when we went away to the then runaway leaders and beat them.

Davy we get it, you haven't forgotten how limply we fell out the FL under Ardley, we get it you blame him and have ever since. However, you have seemed to conveniently forget Nolan and Kewells records that season. Oh and the lack of a preseason, no impact that.

Personally I don't think we would have caught Barrow, I don't think we would have been champions. If we had kept Kewell and had him as our manager in NL, I don't think we would have been anywhere near champions. Same applies for the list of managers above. It's not easy to finish top. Look at our clubs history , that's all the facts you need chap

Agenda? What agenda? Nice balanced view from DavyFacts

There is too many to mention , can start with

Thordarson
    Ince
    Derry (2nd season)
    Sheridan

They all kinds merge into one another.

As for the relegation season which you love to talk about as if Ardley was the only manager that season. How did Nolan and Kewell do defensively before Ardley was appointed? I haven't checked the stats but I'm very confident their goals conceded per game was worst than Ardley's. We started that season like an absolute sieve, conceding 2/3/4 goals every game.

Go on DavyFacts surprise me and tell me our defense got worse.

As for the Notts could have been champions if not for the enforced slow start , you can't say they would have or wouldn't . How many points did we drop in those first two months cos of the lack of a preseason or preparation? Half a dozen? More? Less? Either way we would have been a lot closer than 7 points behind Barrow and in clearly better form. As demonstrated when we went away to the then runaway leaders and beat them.

Davy we get it, you haven't forgotten how limply we fell out the FL under Ardley, we get it you blame him and have ever since. However, you have seemed to conveniently forget Nolan and Kewells records that season. Oh and the lack of a preseason, no impact that.

Personally I don't think we would have caught Barrow, I don't think we would have been champions. If we had kept Kewell and had him as our manager in NL, I don't think we would have been anywhere near champions. Same applies for the list of managers above. It's not easy to finish top. Look at our clubs history , that's all the facts you need chap

Agenda? What agenda? Nice balanced view from DavyFacts

Thordason - kept us in league 2 , so better
    Derry - Not in relegation zone, League 1 level, i think Trew also massively cut the budget this season, so again better, given Ardley had a huge budget to spend , and was at a lower level
    Ince - Not in releagtion zone, League 1 level , so better
    Sheridan - Not in relegation zone, if not sacked he could only do as bad as Ardley, but the nearest one to him

Ardley was in charge for 25 plus games in the relegation season, it was Ardley only winning once in his first 12 games that relegated us.
    Kewell not responsible, and not in bottom 2, as for Nolan only 5 games so not responsible, had 2 good seasons prior to this . If preferably Nolan , or Kewell had stayed , i believe we would be in league 2, but hey were sacked because Hardy wanted promotion

Catching Barrow is the rose coloured spectacles pro Ardley supporters wear, for me very unlikely given there were only 9 games left, and we were 7 points behind , and played a game more. If not for covid cancellation, our next game was against Harrogate, which i believe we would have lost, ending any chance of being champions

All this bull of lack of pre season, not so, as i said nearly 3 months later poor results in November ,starting with Barrow mauling us 3-0 was the real reason we were not champions

As for baeting the runaway leaders Barrow, yes after they hit the post, missed a penelty, and Notts only taking control of the game after they had a man sent off . No Massive slice of luck there then

To be champions you have to be consistantly doing well over a season, something Ardley has never shown. Sure he can win a few games, but this is always followed by the inevitable bad patch
    Barrow weren't and, remarkably went on to became champions, albeit in a prematurely ended season.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 24-10-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Love that Kewell not in bottom two and not responsible. Nolan only in charge for 5 games so not responsible lol. Weren't they in charge combined for about16/17 games of the season? And won a grand total of 3?! And in your eyes take no responsibility. Now that's comedy

If they aren't to blame in your eyes it must be on Alan Hardy for sacking them cos if either were kept we would have stayed up right?

Anyone who says no preseason is a bs excuse is a joke in my eyes and doesn't understand football. You can cherry pick a game 3 months later all you like but when we played Barrow at home they were the best side in the best form in the league. When we played them away they weren't Harrogate and Notts ended that season in noticeably better form.

None of this matters becauae nobody predicted we would be champions! How do you keep missing this. Why didn't anyone? Because we were badly unprepared and had an awful season.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Barrow weren't and, remarkably went on to became champions, albeit in a prematurely ended season.
    Well once they got going they were, think they had nearly 20 wins, with only 2 losses, and 3 draws in between, an incredible run of results

Just goes to show the excuses for Notts poor start are really just bull, as shown by Barrow

Well once they got going they were, think they had nearly 20 wins, with only 2 losses, and 3 draws in between, an incredible run of results

Just goes to show the excuses for Notts poor start are really just bull, as shown by Barrow
    Yep. if only we'd had the full season we may have caught them too. Still, perhaps it's better that way, otherwise we wouldn't have this increasingly tedious thread to enjoy eh?

Love that Kewell not in bottom two and not responsible. Nolan only in charge for 5 games so not responsible lol. Weren't they in charge combined for about16/17 games of the season? And won a grand total of 3?! And in your eyes take no responsibility. Now that's comedy

If they aren't to blame in your eyes it must be on Alan Hardy for sacking them cos if either were kept we would have stayed up right?

Anyone who says no preseason is a bs excuse is a joke in my eyes and doesn't understand football. You can cherry pick a game 3 months later all you like but when we played Barrow at home they were the best side in the best form in the league. When we played them away they weren't Harrogate and Notts ended that season in noticeably better form.

None of this matters becauae nobody predicted we would be champions! How do you keep missing this. Why didn't anyone? Because we were badly unprepared and had an awful season.
    The only thing that was comedy was the 25 plus games that Ardley was in charge, especially him only winning once in 12 games

Yes Alan Hardy gets equal blame for appointing Neal Ardley in the first place , he admitted as much later saying he made a huge mistake sacking Nolan

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast