+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘The Problem’

Some excellent and valid replies on here so far, and some tad harsh ones I feel.

I think the fact about the midfield terrier that ncfcog pointed out is a good one, and how easy it is for teams to just steam roller us when we’re not at our best. It seems to take us longer to build atttacks but the opposition can get in at us quite often with one direct ball.

I wouldn’t say this is inherent in the squad but a stage we’re going through at the minute. I remember a few games last year where we were under the cosh for large parts of games but never succumbed to the pressure...we can find that again. We were, at that time playing a 4-4-2, and we had Mitch Rose, who perhaps I didn’t give enough credit to at the time.

Changing the formation now could have its benefits. If going back to a 4-4-2 we could still play Doyle or Reeves but with the (unproven) legs of Wolfe akin to the way we utilised that chap we had from forest. I think now is maybe the time to see how Mb difference Ben Turner can make coming back Into the side.

I also think Wootton is struggling at the minute in his role, Especially without a Thomas or Dennis in the team as a fool for him to play off.

I have finally lost patience with Enzio. Yes, he’s scored some good goals, and he may be a nice lad, but he’s never really in the game or controlling it. I don’t even know where his best position is because he never shines or stands out in a match....in fact, he reminds me of Craig Westcarr. Not a striker, not a winger, not much football intelligence to boot.

So, using the Munto team blueprint, would something like this work better?

Slocombe

Brindley
    Rawlinson
    Turner
    McCrory

Roberts
    Wolfe
    Doyle/Reeves
    Rodrigues

Wootton
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It's an excellent thread, because you inadvertently admitted the truth.

I don't think I'll be the only one to spot it.
    You can't help yourself can you?

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Some excellent and valid replies on here so far, and some tad harsh ones I feel.

I think the fact about the midfield terrier that ncfcog pointed out is a good one, and how easy it is for teams to just steam roller us when we’re not at our best. It seems to take us longer to build atttacks but the opposition can get in at us quite often with one direct ball.

I wouldn’t say this is inherent in the squad but a stage we’re going through at the minute. I remember a few games last year where we were under the cosh for large parts of games but never succumbed to the pressure...we can find that again. We were, at that time playing a 4-4-2, and we had Mitch Rose, who perhaps I didn’t give enough credit to at the time.

Changing the formation now could have its benefits. If going back to a 4-4-2 we could still play Doyle or Reeves but with the (unproven) legs of Wolfe akin to the way we utilised that chap we had from forest. I think now is maybe the time to see how Mb difference Ben Turner can make coming back Into the side.

I also think Wootton is struggling at the minute in his role, Especially without a Thomas or Dennis in the team as a fool for him to play off.

I have finally lost patience with Enzio. Yes, he’s scored some good goals, and he may be a nice lad, but he’s never really in the game or controlling it. I don’t even know where his best position is because he never shines or stands out in a match....in fact, he reminds me of Craig Westcarr. Not a striker, not a winger, not much football intelligence to boot.

So, using the Munto team blueprint, would something like this work better?

Slocombe

Brindley
    Rawlinson
    Turner
    McCrory

Roberts
    Wolfe
    Doyle/Reeves
    Rodrigues

Wootton
    Thomas
    That’s pretty much last season’s blueprint, with Wolfe replacing Rose.

It’s amazing how fine the margins are in football. This thread probably wouldn’t exist if we hadn’t crumbled in the second half on Saturday. Instead, we’d be in the top three and congratulating ourselves on our best start to a season in many a year. And it’s self-evident that losing four players to COVID on the eve of the match had an adverse effect and highlighted some deficiencies in the squad.

Since Saturday, I’ve found myself watching more intently to see how the top clubs manage when playing through the lines/thirds. Biggest difference I could see is that top players manage to create more space for themselves in midfield/forward areas and are better at retaining the ball (no surprise) and linking up play. They also move the ball quickly. At times, it looks like we’re asking tier 5 players to do things they may not have the skillset to achieve.

Still, let’s see where we are after the next set of five games, when we’ll have played Stockport and Chesterfield (who lost again last night) and have a clearer sense of how good/not good enough this team is. If we can cut out the individual errors, I think we’re good enough to be in the top three. Haven’t seen enough yet to suggest we can win the league, though.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that Ardley and the senior players he shares his authority with - Doyle, O'Brien - are wrecking the team spirit we need...
    Those 2 have the bad combination of shouting off at other players while not being very good themselves -
    In your work, how would you feel about being bawled out for a mistake by someone who makes loads himself but is close to the boss and ALWAYS gets picked? I'd like to see the likes of Enzio calling out Doyle for every misplaced pass....

Saturday was typical, they hit back and when we need a response from the engine room of central midfield (authority on the ball more than running around kicking people) it's never there when we need it. Nor from the manager in general, a few pre-determined substitutes but nothing by way of inspiration.
    We're just not a side with a lot of spirit or togetherness when things start going wrong.
    The only authority Ardley and his players get will be Notts Counties final National League position , come the end of the season. This is cumulative of all the good and bad luck accumulated over the season compared to other clubs , some could say they are stats, but they are facts that will ultimately decide the future of both Notts County and Ardley himself

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Out of interest, why do people think Ardley is ‘here for the foreseeable’, or that the owners are more patient than previous incumbents? I’ve seen it said quite a few times, but I don’t know what it’s based on. I didn’t think Hardy was a sacker until he got rid of Nolan 5 games into the season.

I just think Ardley is tactically inept, demonstrated in the playoff final, and further evidenced on Saturday. Other managers seem much more capable of effecting games with much fewer resources. He wants to play passing football, but I’m not sure he knows why.
    effecting games? much fewer resources? tut-tut, BFP. An officer will be calling shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    effecting games? much fewer resources? tut-tut, BFP. An officer will be calling shortly.
    Hmm, I’m not having that Sid. Before you give him the call, send them off for checking.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Hmm, I’m not having that Sid. Before you give him the call, send them off for checking.
    I might concede that effecting can be used that way - at a push; but I feel that line should read 'affecting games with fewer resources'. 'Much' should have been 'far' but keep it simple by using neither.
    I have told the officer to stay his hand and focus on white supremacists.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I might concede that effecting can be used that way - at a push; but I feel that line should read 'affecting games with fewer resources'. 'Much' should have been 'far' but keep it simple by using neither.
    I have told the officer to stay his hand and focus on white supremacists.
    A rare show of leniency from the Grammar Police is much appreciated.

I just don't get all the negativity, yeah they messed up Sat but a few days earlier the won away at a team that had won all their games and there was no inquest after that. I don't see us playing negative football, we are pretty expansive most of the time and just play possession football which sometimes means it goes backwards. Defending has been down to the players not Ardley, same players as last season who certainly in the second half of the season were defending set pieces.
    This seasons showing strange performances everywhere, Liverpool losing 7-2 to villa its just a reflection of it being strange times with no fans etc.
    The only part I worry about is we haven't replaced Dennis unless either Sam or Knowles step up.

Very harsh comments I feel.

Pretty sure we finished 3rd last year and way over-achieved according to the predictions many made (certainties for NL North etc).

Should have won on Saturday, defensive errors letting us down.

My concern is that the defence is reminding me of the one under Nolan when we made the play-offs. With Duffy etc we had a really good record but the following season were awful. Inexplicable then I thought - is this season a repeat?

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast