+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘The Problem’

‘The Problem’

No, This isn’t to do with my pee spraying in all directions, though I would also like the answer to that....for a friend, of course.

Saturday was obviously a bitter experience for everyone on here and without starting another Ardley in - out - shake him all about - thread I’d like to hear some thoughts on what actually IS the problem with our football at the minute. For now, I think we have to accept that Ardley will be here for the foreseeable future whether we like it or not, so just what is going wrong on the pitch and how can the manager ‘turn’ it around so we are a more dominant force?

Without just saying ‘we are too negative’, or ‘we can’t deal with the high press’ or ‘we can’t defend set pieces’ I’d like to know how these problems are solved. There must be some football people on here who understand the finer intricacies of the game. I guess here I should point out that I am not actually Neal Ardley!

For me, it doesn’t seem like the players aren’t trying, or the manager has lost the dressing room. The players are good players, certainly for this level (though I don’t believe the squad is the envy of the division). The team can play some great and even dogged football at times....but something is clearly wrong.

So why....why in matches do we suddenly sometimes turn into a bunch of strangers like on Saturday afternoon? If you really have to, tell me what and how a different manager would approach the same problems but try and be more informative than the usual one line criticisms we normally see on here 👍

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    No, This isn’t to do with my pee spraying in all directions, though I would also like the answer to that....for a friend, of course.
    My 'friend' can possibly help you out there. After watching an episode of The Inbetweeners he can offer a solution - if you sit down, the problem is solved. He tells me the sensation is much more pleasurable if you focus on the sense of relief rather than accuracy.

Saturday was obviously a bitter experience for everyone on here and without starting another Ardley in - out - shake him all about - thread I’d like to hear some thoughts on what actually IS the problem with our football at the minute. For now, I think we have to accept that Ardley will be here for the foreseeable future whether we like it or not, so just what is going wrong on the pitch and how can the manager ‘turn’ it around so we are a more dominant force?
    The peeing situation is easier to solve, but I think the only way we will become a more dominant force is if Neal Ardley walks into the office marked 'Reedtz Brothers', and says "I've tried my best, but I'm just not up to the job. Probably best to let you find someone else".

I do think there is a degree of trying to play champagne football in a pint of mild league. Don’t get me wrong I admire the fact we are trying to become a footballing side but you cannot rely on total football to get you by outside of the Championship at least.

We have very good experienced footballers for this level in every area but what we are missing is a real terrier in midfield. The last one we had was on loan and now he’s established himself in the Championship with them over the river.

Doyle and Reeves both have good vision and can read the game pretty well but when you‘are faced with opposition that are direct and pressing in their approach our midfield is basically bypassed. The third goal on Saturday was a prime example of that.

Maidenhead got their first win against a Wrexham side that also want to play football like us. That tells its own story.

However, I do believe it’s a bit early to be saying there is something inherently wrong within the club. Had we got our best eleven fielded on Saturday we could probably have got a hat full. Unfortunately for whatever reason those that stepped into the breach were just not up to the task against Maidenhead but then there’s been an illness running through the squad, players started (McCrory) who just aren’t fully fit and all 5 missing players are first eleven starters.

Ultimately it seems the club want to create a footballing blueprint for the future which I have no issue with but if we don’t start to get ugly in games when it’s needed promotion out of this league could be a long time coming.

Without just saying ‘we are too negative’, or ‘we can’t deal with the high press’ or ‘we can’t defend set pieces’ I’d like to know how these problems are solved. There must be some football people on here who understand the finer intricacies of the game. I guess here I should point out that I am not actually Neal Ardley!

For me, it doesn’t seem like the players aren’t trying, or the manager has lost the dressing room. The players are good players, certainly for this level (though I don’t believe the squad is the envy of the division). The team can play some great and even dogged football at times....but something is clearly wrong.

So why....why in matches do we suddenly sometimes turn into a bunch of strangers like on Saturday afternoon? If you really have to, tell me what and how a different manager would approach the same problems but try and be more informative than the usual one line criticisms we normally see on here 
    The defence needs more discipline. Simples. Success starts from the back in footie...IMHO. Defend set pieces and stop the crosses and once that's in order we can start to play expansively without panicking every time the opposition gets the ball in our half.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 20-10-2020 at 07:25 PM.

I think the centre halves aren't as solid as the back end of last season, we're having to score a fair few to win. Dennis and his fif**** goals, often match winners at crucial times is missing and although Reeves is a step up on Rose after the hour we run out of ideas and a bit of steam.
    I think we're close but the constant changes of back four and not being able to interchange Thomas and Dennis has hindered us.

"I do think there is a degree of trying to play champagne football in a pint of mild league" ncfcog nails it in my eyes. That's the biggest problem to me although undoubtedly pretty to look at times it's not got a great track record at this level

I'm surprised how porous we are at the back this season with the personnel involved. Didn't see that coming.

The biggest concern before we kicked a ball was would we score enough, could we replace Dennis' goals. So far the answer is yes. It's the other end that is the worry

We can't defend crosses still whether the players fault or the training, if you can't do that then you're always going to let in goals at this level. When I was young the rule was don't let a goal in and you can't lose them build from there, I think we're good upfront but defensively haven't sorted out a rock solid base. I don't think there's a real hunger for defending in the team and maybe in football in general now. This is the main problem for me, we can play good football going forward but if everytime they cross you look all at sea then you're never going to get anywhere. Rawlinson said they work on them in training so maybe the players need to get that hunger and pride in the clean sheet, switching off is not an excuse anymore, they're professional players so would be nice for them to concentrate for 90 minutes, it's not long really is it.

I think a big problem is Ardleys attitude, I think it's defeatist and that translates down to the team. It worries me that he said we were 1 minute away from a good point against Dover, anything other than a win against teams like that is for me a failure when you look at the overall picture. I'd love a really confident manager who installs the belief in the players that yes they are better than these lot and yes they should be showing it. If the other team score we should be insulted and then go and bang another 3 past them, I honestly believe we have the team to do it but not the attitude.

It's too early anyway to say there's something wrong, we don't know how things will turn out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    "I do think there is a degree of trying to play champagne football in a pint of mild league" ncfcog nails it in my eyes. That's the biggest problem to me although undoubtedly pretty to look at times it's not got a great track record at this level
    So how would you apportion the blame for that problem percentage wise between the owners, manager, and players?

Not sure that's sort of analysis is needed after just 5 league games, that could set a dangerous precedent on here. It's far more suited for end of seasons especially ones that end in relegation.

If pushed I'd say 0% Owners, 50% Manager, 50% players.

But at this very early stage it means very little obviously. It's not all doom and gloom

Out of interest, why do people think Ardley is ‘here for the foreseeable’, or that the owners are more patient than previous incumbents? I’ve seen it said quite a few times, but I don’t know what it’s based on. I didn’t think Hardy was a sacker until he got rid of Nolan 5 games into the season.

I just think Ardley is tactically inept, demonstrated in the playoff final, and further evidenced on Saturday. Other managers seem much more capable of effecting games with much fewer resources. He wants to play passing football, but I’m not sure he knows why.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast