+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a poll

Not a poll

But what's your thoughts on our manager going forward.

Should he be under no pressure, some pressure, slightly fearful?

I didn't expect us to go to Gorgie and roll over hearts but the manner of defeat, performance and lack of organisation is still grating on me 5 days later.....that's unusual these days.

Getting a dooing seems to have become acceptable these days despite the usual noises from players and management afterwards.

I didn't think Adam had the greatest game but he did seem to be a very bad loser after the game....a believable bad loser....i hope this rubs off on some of our other players and management.

For me the biggest worry was that we had been playinf that formation with some success at the end of last season. there was a massive difference in the actual players that played and won against Ayr with that formation and the team that turned out against Hearts. It seemed to me that McPake was wanting to carry on from before but he did not consider the teamwork and some individual players involved in the Ayr game was much much better than those he played against Hearts.

It seemed to me that he should have switched formation when we went 2-0 down but Charlie's goal but a bit of resolve in his decision to stick with the formation. 2 goals later that looked a bad decision. also don't know what info he had about forster's injury. Back 4 of Marshall McGhee Forster and Kerr had all the players on the park but what would that have done to our midfiled of Adam Dorrans Robertson with Ashcroft as some kind of holding mid and Mcgowan and Sow up top.

even when we went to 4 at the back we still had the long ball being played out from the left back position. Looks like it's a tactic because Hamilton doesn't seem to be too great at kicking accurately. Still lost the second half 2-1.

Hamilton looks as though he loses confidence very quickly. not sure if it is because he is so horrified at the time given to opponents to make crosses or line up their shots.Robertson in midfield is not really what we need if we have both Dorrans and Adam in there. I don't think it will be likely that both dorrans and Adam will play every game so maybe rotating 2 from 3 should be the plan. how many 90 minute games have both dorrans and Adam played in the past couple of seasons. Really like robertson and I hope he is encouraged to stick in a try to improve the areas of his game that are slightly weaker.

I reckon we need to take nine points from the next (seemingly) easy games. otherwise we'll start to lose touch with the top and the pressure will be on him.

I appreciate that means anything less than a win this Saturday means failure, and it seems very early in the season for that sort of talk, but the season's going to be short already and might even be cut shorter. The failure to change early enough on Friday and the use of the three at the back formation that had failed him previously doesn't give me confidence. Add to that his failure to address the goalkeeping issue, the signing of another perma croc - admittedly on pay as you play - his inexplicable insistence on playing Cammy Kerr and the same old pish after match interview (almost accepting of the huge scoreline and defeat) he seems to have learned very little from last season.

I agree with you apart from Cammy Kerr comment. He is not a wing back and should be played as a full back in a back 4 IMO.

After Fridays debacle, I'm convinced that Mcpake is not a manager.
    Many supporters knew that Hearts would be physical, and would take the game to us at a high tempo.
    Dundee seemed shocked by their tactics and struggled to get out of our half, as usual, like many games last season, we were not up for it.
    Why were the tactics not changed earlier in the game ?
    Mcpake, or another waited until half time to change the formation, the game was over by that time.
    I think he should go now, give the job to Charlie Adams, he has the attitude the team needs.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    After Fridays debacle, I'm convinced that Mcpake is not a manager.
    Many supporters knew that Hearts would be physical, and would take the game to us at a high tempo.
    Dundee seemed shocked by their tactics and struggled to get out of our half, as usual, like many games last season, we were not up for it.
    Why were the tactics not changed earlier in the game ?
    Mcpake, or another waited until half time to change the formation, the game was over by that time.
    I think he should go now, give the job to Charlie Adams, he has the attitude the team needs.
    IMO if McPake fails to win the next nine points he should go. I doubt however that Charlie Adam would be the next manager and I wouldn't want to see him there. I said when Hartley went that the club was in a position where it needed an experienced manager, we didn't get one and the rest is history with only the unmitigated disaster that was McIntyre being the experienced man in the roll. If Nelms keeps on the road of putting new manager's in situ we're only going one way. Hartley was and still is a good young manager and there aren't many around as we've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    IMO if McPake fails to win the next nine points he should go. I doubt however that Charlie Adam would be the next manager and I wouldn't want to see him there. I said when Hartley went that the club was in a position where it needed an experienced manager, we didn't get one and the rest is history with only the unmitigated disaster that was McIntyre being the experienced man in the roll. If Nelms keeps on the road of putting new manager's in situ we're only going one way. Hartley was and still is a good young manager and there aren't many around as we've found.
    I tend to agree with you regarding experienced managers, I said Charlie Adams because he is there now.
    Nelms will take too long to make his mind up, remember with McIntyre, we had a two break and he could have been working with the players in that time, then Nelms appoints him after the two week break !

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    I tend to agree with you regarding experienced managers, I said Charlie Adams because he is there now.
    Nelms will take too long to make his mind up, remember with McIntyre, we had a two break and he could have been working with the players in that time, then Nelms appoints him after the two week break !
    I seem to remember Nelms stating after MacIntyre was sacked that he was looking for an experienced manager with over 100 first team games under his belt.
    It was reported that there were numerous applications for the job but Nelms appointed James McPake who had no previous experience as the manager of a first team.

I think James Mcpake will get the season, I don't think he's under any serious pressure from above.

If there's a bigger club I the league the playoffs give the manager an out...."We are in the playoffs",talk of "Going up" rather than winning the league.....but I think this is a bit of a smokescreen.

To have a chance in the playoffs that very well may not happen you have to be organised and a bit of momentum.....it's all a bit stop start with Mcpake.

i think managers in general do better when they have to respond to a problem by making a clearly understood decision. KT leaving meant that Hartley had to pick a different formation and we got consistency after KT left. McCann had to pick Haber and again things picked up for him to keep us up. McIntyre actually had the team working properly after he gave all the players a chance to play in their right positions - an approach that was understood and seen as fair. He then went and blew up his own good work by telling them the quality wasn't there and he needed a complete re build.

McPake got Berra who was obviously still a good player and respected by the players at Dens. He gave the leadership that was needed and Forster actually came on to a game. This season McPake has not managed to clearly replace Hemmings or Hazard or Berra so he needs to sort out these issues quickly. He has got Dorrans and Adam in midfield. What is the right way to use both these top players? Do they both prefer to operate in the same areas of the pitch? If he can sort out their contribution to our team and they create assists for Mullen etc we could be flying.

sorting out the defence might be helped with forster's injury. forced to play a back 4 might be the best outcome and when forster comes back we have good cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)