+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Looking for photographs of the long gone Chemist Lane

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Can't help with photos but this link might help you piece something together.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/prin...layers=168&b=1
    Really interesting to look at this old map. What date? Is it on but Ive missed it.

[QUOTE=wrinkly;39604572]Brilliant link thanks Howdy.
    I love that there is a Google earth image hidden underneath the map and that you can change the transparency of the map to reveal what is there now - great stuff.
    I note that there is Millmoor Lane on the map, and Millmoor Cottage and Millmoor Brass Works, but no football ground.
    Also, of course, The "New York" area[/QUOTEl]

I assume 'the Foundry Iron and Brass' on Don Street is Guest and Chrimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    There is still a Chemist Lane in Roth. A shirt road leading up to Charlie Brown. Is it the same road.
    There were three pubs on that street Wan, The Collar, The Cuffs and The Armholes

Fascinating. Looked at where I grew up in the 60s (Monkwood, Rawmarsh) and in the woods where we used to play there were a few areas that had obviously been buildings many, many years before but all that was left was the odd piece of hardstanding and some of the stone that hadn't been hauled away by the locals to build their rockeries. On that map they are identified as Chemical Cottages, I wonder why? Close to a stream so maybe an indication of some long gone 'works'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    There were three pubs on that street Wan, The Collar, The Cuffs and The Armholes
    I double checked that last one Patty

Yep good map. I would guess the map to be around the turn of the 20th c. 1910?
    Last edited by rolymiller; 22-10-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Lincs, I've already thought of the Clifton Museum and they are currently closed due to covid. We start a 28 day tier 3 shutdown from this Saturday, then it's a review. You'll probably be a long time before you get access there pal.
    Thanks for that Brin. Ive been trying to get to the Museum for a while now, they hold archive for the York & Lancs Regiment of which my dad served with in WW2 . His CO kept a diary of some of the engagements they were involved in ( North Africa & Italy) . They don't lend the book out but Ive been invited to read the book on the premises, when they do open again !

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Thanks for that Brin. Ive been trying to get to the Museum for a while now, they hold archive for the York & Lancs Regiment of which my dad served with in WW2 . His CO kept a diary of some of the engagements they were involved in ( North Africa & Italy) . They don't lend the book out but Ive been invited to read the book on the premises, when they do open again !
    Nice, hope you enjoy your trip and visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Can't help with photos but this link might help you piece something together.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/prin...layers=168&b=1
    Howdy, great map. Looking up where I was born, up Tenter St you go over 'Robin Hoods bridge' never knew they called it that. Immediately to the right after the bridge is Hartley Lane. The map is showing 5 dwellings so must assume more were added later as I was born in number 14.

They were actually Railway houses as my late Father was a signalman at Masbrough and our family rented one. We eventually had to move as all the houses faced subsidence and were starting to slip down the embankment.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Fascinating. Looked at where I grew up in the 60s (Monkwood, Rawmarsh) and in the woods where we used to play there were a few areas that had obviously been buildings many, many years before but all that was left was the odd piece of hardstanding and some of the stone that hadn't been hauled away by the locals to build their rockeries. On that map they are identified as Chemical Cottages, I wonder why? Close to a stream so maybe an indication of some long gone 'works'.
    Chemical cottages were in birchwood cam, the white family who lived and worked there produced charcoal and wood-naptha for several sheffield firms, i walk round that area with my dogs you can still identify the gardens around the cottages by the remaining stone walls.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast