+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Looking for photographs of the long gone Chemist Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Chemical cottages were in birchwood cam, the white family who lived and worked there produced charcoal and wood-naptha for several sheffield firms, i walk round that area with my dogs you can still identify the gardens around the cottages by the remaining stone walls.
    Thanks Archie. I lived on Hague Avenue backing onto those woods so they were my playground for 20 years. In fact had my first real snog just yards from where the cottages were on the grass embankment of the footpath that goes up from the stream/bridge in the woods to Wentworth Road. Do you know when they were demolished because they weren't there in c1965.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 22-10-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Just been looking at a old Rawmarsh and Parkgate book and came across a photo which was took outside Regal cinema on high street you can see a advertising board with info about trains running to Huddersfield Town v Rotherham United 1952/53 price 4/3d return, we lost 1-0 att 31,000.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Thanks Archie. I lived on Hague Avenue backing onto those woods so they were my playground for 20 years. In fact had my first real snog just yards from where the cottages were on the grass embankment of the footpath that goes up from the stream/bridge in the woods to Wentworth Road. Do you know when they were demolished because they weren't there in c1965.
    I lived on Meadow Ave in 50s cam, can remember the cottage been there in late 50s, probably demolished in early 60s at a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Howdy, great map. Looking up where I was born, up Tenter St you go over 'Robin Hoods bridge' never knew they called it that. Immediately to the right after the bridge is Hartley Lane. The map is showing 5 dwellings so must assume more were added later as I was born in number 14.

They were actually Railway houses as my late Father was a signalman at Masbrough and our family rented one. We eventually had to move as all the houses faced subsidence and were starting to slip down the embankment.
    I remember that area quite well, their used to be an old foundry with piles of black dust on the pavement, just over the bridge, and wasn't there some tennis courts behind that ? Cloggies pond ? And the land of the famous " Third Nail " !

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    I lived on Meadow Ave in 50s cam, can remember the cottage been there in late 50s, probably demolished in early 60s at a guess.
    Thanks Archie. I didn't realise they were there right up 'till then. They probably moved out in the early 60s then when they started extending Hague Avenue down the hill and knew they'd have a load of urchins roaming the woods. We moved there into a new council house in the middle of the famous winter of '63 and lived across the street from Matt Hamshaw's Mum and family. My Aunt and Uncle lived on Meadow Avenue.

Looking at Howdys link, I didn't know herringthorpe playing fields had a racecourse. My old house was near the winning post!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Looking at Howdys link, I didn't know herringthorpe playing fields had a racecourse. My old house was near the winning post!!!
    Shark, I always thought the old pavillion where players/refs use to change was a bit posh for old changing rooms. It all makes sense now, that was indeed the grandstand facing the winning post. my old school mate used to live on your road, Steve Bates.

Shark, I always thought the old pavillion where players/refs use to change was a bit posh for old changing rooms. It all makes sense now, that was indeed the grandstand facing the winning post. my old school mate used to live on your road, Steve Bates.
    I moved off when I was about 10 Brin but my Dad will probably know him.

I spent many hours playing on herringthorpe playing fields as a youngster. Back when kids were allowed to play out on there own 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    I moved off when I was about 10 Brin but my Dad will probably know him.

I spent many hours playing on herringthorpe playing fields as a youngster. Back when kids were allowed to play out on there own 😁
    You're right, many many a hour playing on the swings, slides, roundabout and all care free because the world was a better place back then. First recall playing on them back in 67, a long time ago!

Before Boswell Street was built (where I lived for 10 years). Never knew it was a race course.

I can see the cricket ground is there. Rugby Club was founded in 1923 and moved to Clifton Lane late 1930s.

So map could be pre late '30s.

Also it is rumoured Sandy Powell was born and lived on Boswell Street. If true, it dates the map pre 1900.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast