+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “ Scum “ remark in The Commons.

“ Scum “ remark in The Commons.

Absolutely no surprise whatever that it came from the mouth of Corbyn groupie Angela Rayner.........deputy leader of The Labour Party no less.

It actually came out more like “ Thcum “ due to her slight speech impediment and Janet Street-Porter denture styling..........probably an ill advised choice of word for her to select given her general difficulty in pronunciation of anything beginning with an “ S “.

Can you imagine the furore if a male Tory MP had used the same term to a female Labour MP?

Boris got slaughtered for using the “ Humbug “ comment a few months ago.

To use the “ Scum “ word actually shows you up as someone who has a visceral hatred of someone and it’s indicative of a breed that purvey the Labour Party these days.

I thinks Rayner has got off lightly so far and that Starmer should ask for her resignation.

I thought the Deputy Speaker actually handled the situation well and really put her back in her tiny box!

Not a good look Miss Rayner.........you need to give your head a major wobble.

She is just typical of how I would describe these 'angry young women' who are so prevelant in today's Labour Party. Their whole demeanour is aggressive and confrontational. Of course she was attempting make political gain from the unfortunate situation that we currently find ourselves in.

I thought it was an accurate description.

Tory MPs have just voted against feeding hungry children during an upcoming winter where many people will lose their jobs and we have a pandemic spreading. This Government are a disgrace.

Yet you are more offended because a grown man was called scum.

Can't say I'm surprised this is your first thought.

What I'd like to know 123 is, what would have been the reaction if Boris had used this term? This is not the language of a parliamentarian and they have the nerve to have a go at Boris for some of his remarks. Total hypocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    What I'd like to know 123 is, what would have been the reaction if Boris had used this term? This is not the language of a parliamentarian and they have the nerve to have a go at Boris for some of his remarks. Total hypocracy.
    In depends about the context. If Labour had a majority and were refusing to feed hungry children, but giving their friends fat contracts through corrupt means, then I'd agree with him using that language.

Same re the context about the 'Humbug' comment. This was in response to a question about inflammatory language used in Parliament and Jo Cox's murder being referenced. Answering with 'Humbug' was not appropriate and Boris deserved to be 'slaughtered' for it.

You have to decide what you consider to be your priorities when you vote for these people. If a grown man being called Scum offends you, but hungry children don't then that is your choice to make.

Like I say, it really doesn't surprise me with the cesspit of political views that exist on this board and in this country. That is why we have a corrupt Government and will end up a poorer country because of Brexit.

I am not 'au fait' with the system so would like to know how this money is distributed. Is it in the form of vouchers/coupons or is it monetary. If it's the latter then the synic in me would be sceptical as to where the money actually goes.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

Tory MPs have just voted against feeding hungry children during an upcoming winter where many people will lose their jobs and we have a pandemic spreading. This Government are a disgrace.

The fact that you think the use of the word scum is an appropriate comment doesn’t surprise me.

The more I watch the goings on in the commons the more I fear we are heading the way of the US, all show and little genuine articulate debate!
    I do think the government were wrong for voting the motion down. As Nigel Farage said “If the government can subsidise Eat Out to Help Out, not being seen to give poor kids lunch in the school holidays looks mean and is wrong."
    People have different views and calling them ‘scum’ without understanding their point of view is just populist rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

There's loads of debates that take place where MP's profoundly disagree with each other but that doesn't mean that the standards of decency need to drop in the process. The Labour Government when in power also took controversial decisions one of which resulted in thousands of children dying all because Blair was Bush's poodle. They debated they voted, it happens in the Commons.

It's no wonder politics is in such a bad state that the best we can offer is this woman when the country is crying out for decent opposition to a very poor government. She reminds me both in how she speaks and in how she looks of that Catherine Tate schoolgirl character 'Am I bovered'.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    There's loads of debates that take place where MP's profoundly disagree with each other but that doesn't mean that the standards of decency need to drop in the process. The Labour Government when in power also took controversial decisions one of which resulted in thousands of children dying all because Blair was Bush's poodle. They debated they voted, it happens in the Commons.

It's no wonder politics is in such a bad state that the best we can offer is this woman when the country is crying out for decent opposition to a very poor government. She reminds me both in how she speaks and in how she looks of that Catherine Tate schoolgirl character 'Am I bovered'.
    “Catherine Tate.....am I bovvered” 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Classic Stripes.

To be honest it would have been hilarious if he’d been quick enough on his feet to have retorted in that way!

Like DaveP67 says......it’s about standards.

To label someone as “Thcum” ......sorry....”Scum” is a disgrace and normally reserved for murderers and child molesters.

There’s no place for that word inside our great Parliament.

She could’ve labelled him “uncaring/callous/“ etc and that’s what you’d expect in heated debate but not the word she used.

The other thing is this issue with free school dinners.

When I was a kid at school in the 60’s and 70’s the number of kids on free dinners was incredibly small and it was always quite obvious these kids came from incredibly poor and usually very uneducated families.

They were usually in very poor clothing, shoes falling apart and often they looked and smelt dirty, it was very sad to see and I can still picture those kids 50 plus years later.

The number we seem to be feeding free of charge now is huge and I think that if they were turning up at school looking like those kids did in my era child services would be called in.

For 99% of people it should be utterly shameful if you cannot feed your own children but I’m not sure that’s now the case.

In the 60’s my parents were not well off and there were days when mum and dad ate jam and bread so that me and my brother could have a proper meal.

I never once went hungry I’m glad to say.

I wonder if today’s “me,me,me” generation are as quick to put their kids bellies first as our parents and grandparents were?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)