+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FA Cup

I expect that will be the case. I assume Zanzala will take Powell's role.
    As for Daniels, he was on the bench a couple of games ago but hasn't been since. In fact Sass-Davies was there instead last time.
    The O.S. only mentioned Lundstram as being out injured so what's happening with Daniels, I'm not sure.

By the way, I notice the youth team is emulating the seniors in terms of recent (lack of) goal scoring exploits

Well for me our team is a completely unbalanced shambles. If the current team selection and formation continues (which to me would be no surprise) looks like we will be in trouble. We may get the odd win where the opponents fail to turn up on the day like Wigan, but simply not looking promising.

We have to get Murphy back in the midfield but I would shuffle it a little having Wintle on the right and Murphy on the left. Ng needs support which would enable him to return to being a wingback. This would give Dale/Powell and Mandron the service and support which at the moment due to the formation they are not receiving.

But to be honest I am not really expecting it to happen. We were woeful against Gillingham. Ng said this week we were making slight mistakes. Congratulations Perry that was the understatement of the month.

We played Ipswich off the park. I wouldn't say the play was woeful. Maybe the finishing is.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    We played Ipswich off the park. I wouldn't say the play was woeful. Maybe the finishing is.
    Maybe the finishing is woeful because the striker is not getting the support and service he is entitled to expect. Plus he has another player getting in his space who has absolutely no talent for a forward position. The right side of our team is not functioning as an attacking force in any form, making it easy for opponents to pen our more naturally talented left side into a small space which nullifies their potential.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did I not say we were woeful playing Gillingham?

tbf you did refer specifically to Gillingham but earlier in the same post you seem to be generalising about being an absolute shambles.
    I also agree that our right side does not seem to be functioning. Perry seems to have lost his way. Powell hasn't got going and Dale is too inconsistent and has never been a goal threat. Perhaps Zanzala will appear and do something this weekend. Has Perry signed a new contract, by the way?

Unless we get a right sided midfielder playing in that specific position Perry, Dale, Powell, Mandron, and any other player are going to be isolated and incapable of playing to their potential, And our current right sided midfielder is NOT playing in that position. That is the problem.

Our right side is not functioning, and yet every single goal kick goes to our right side. Virtually guaranteed that we are going to lose possession. It is also obvious at goal kicks Offord does not want the ball. He may have a lot of potential but why is he playing as a sweeper? Puts a lot of pressure on Beckles.

Unfortunately this season we are badly missing James Jones.

I guess Offord gets the ball because, even if he looks as though he doesn’t want it, he is still better with it than Beckles, who gives me the willies when he’s in possession. I think the real issue with the right side starts at the back as Perry still wants to be a midfielder this season - or it looks that way - maybe the manager should play TJ, stick Perry further forward and that might satisfy lukcour.... although I doubt it. I think we started the season well with Dale, but DA clearly wants to play Powell although he clearly isn’t match fit, or not fit enough to play for more than an hour anyway.

I think if we are going to look at the balance of the side yes, we are stronger on the left, but then we were last season apart from when Walker joined in January. Most sides at this level have a stronger and weaker flank, I would say, and we are no exception. I guess the manager will have to decide if he prefers the more cautious approach with a Murphy alongside Wintle and Ainley as a 10, or Wintle in front of the Back 4 with Ainley and Lowery supporting the wide men. You pays your money and takes your choice!!

One of our strengths last season was that we could go down either flank, albeit more often on the left. This season the ball doesn't get worked down the right enough. When it is on that side, Perry always cuts inside and narrows the play so that inevitably he has to pass sideways. Otherwise he tries to shoot on his weaker left foot. Last two seasons he seemed able to get off a decent shot on his left, but this season it looks like exactly what is: a weaker foot.
    We are playing the same formation as last season but not applying it the same way. We are way too slow getting the ball forward and seem to prefer to play safe than try taking the opposition on. As a result Mandron gets knackered running around creating space while the Alex play the ball backwards. On the occasions we do take the opposition on we make it harder by playing it through ridiculously tight spaces which only condenses the area. eg Charlie and Pixie along the dead ball line twice today.
    As for Charlie, don't get me started! He is getting back to his irritating worst for me. To his credit, at least, he did pop up in the middle of the pitch a couple of times but overall he just hugs the line too much. His approach is very much hold up and give, rarely testing his pace and skills against other players. He also needs to develop 'hard feet'. The number of times he underhits a pass, misses the ball in a tackle or fails to bring a ball under full control can be really aggravating and is usually because he he is trying a clever flick or a feint or trying to roll his foot over the ball. Let me say, at this point, that he is a really skilled footballer but his skill and pace are under-utilised. My partner suggests it must be because that's what he's told to do. If so, then it's a waste of talent for the team.
    Perry is also bothering me at the moment. Has he lost confidence? Is breaking into the middle of the pitch his own desire to be a midfielder or sanctioned by management. TJ put in a very good performance for 15 minutes, so perhaps he should be given a go on Tuesday.
    Not one of Offord's better games, giving away unnecessary free kicks and being way out of position for their second goal.
    I thought Wintle was the pick of the bunch, working the ball all over the pitch. Perhaps we need Murphy playing so that Wintle can play further forward. Mandron set up the moves that led to the first and third goals and generally chugged away without getting the service.
    Lowery gave the ball away a couple of times but then immediately won it back. As for Finney, well he scored, which is invaluable (particularly at the moment) but what about the other 59 minutes?
    Well, this has been a bit of a moanfest!! However, the last three games I have got increasingly irate watching them as centre-halves don't score goals from the edge of their own penalty area!
    Nonetheless, I am eagerly looking forward to the draw on Monday. Marine, anyone?

Marine or Canvey Island will do nicely! Or we could show the Vale the way to beat Kings Lynn.....

Regarding Charlie, he is frustrating at times but at least he’s stopped waving his arms around when he doesn’t get what he wants and is covering back more often. I did notice that, since Lowery has returned, the players around Mandron have shifted positions more often - Tom and, to an extent Callum, are more fluent in their movement and able to cover when Charlie and Powell move off their flanks. I thought they did that pretty well against Gillingham, but with nothing except frustration to show for it.

I would expect a few changes for tomorrow - definite start for TJ and, as he was on the bench on Saturday, maybe for Eddie too. Chance for Dale, Zanzala and Murphy too. Let’s hope Walker doesn’t stick home another screamer like Saturday... mind you, having watched his celebration, he’s still no faster than Mandron!

Pleased that we got the win and progress. Hope we get a home tie next. Nice to see Johnson get 15 minutes. He looked solid, confident and assured. Hopefully ir will give him a good boost.

Shocking to see how a big club like Bolton can sink so far. They even look like a poor league2 team.

Having read carefully the previous two posts I have decided not to make further comments about our performance. Suffice to say I 100% disagree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12