+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Fermers away

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    It's a bit of both IMO.

Creativity and width is a problem but we don't have players good enough at this level to cover these options.

MM doesn't seem to rate Mcmullan and because of the system he is using to stop teams scoring against us he is also stifling the forward play of Robson and Bolton.

I'm not blaming MM as it was blatantly obvious that we had to shut up shop at the back but the set up been to the detriment of our attacking options and is clearly frustrating the hell out of Shankland. Hopefully Fuchs will give us that bit more impetus to get forward and get the best out of our forwards.
    100% agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    It's a bit of both IMO.

Creativity and width is a problem but we don't have players good enough at this level to cover these options.

MM doesn't seem to rate Mcmullan and because of the system he is using to stop teams scoring against us he is also stifling the forward play of Robson and Bolton.

I'm not blaming MM as it was blatantly obvious that we had to shut up shop at the back but the set up been to the detriment of our attacking options and is clearly frustrating the hell out of Shankland. Hopefully Fuchs will give us that bit more impetus to get forward and get the best out of our forwards.
    Fuchs is just a young lad. Anything I have seen or read about him, including his DUTV interview doesn't say play-maker to me. He doesn't lack enthusiasm that's for sure. He looks like he is a strong runner and some of his running back tackles are great. He also can get to the edge of the opponents box which is great.

Hope we are not thinking one young player will be the answer and change this team dramatically, that's not gonna happen.

Not saying that we are, but there are a good few mentions, more in hope to be fair, that he might be the answer. He looks like he will be a good addition (who doesn't on twitter & YouTube?) but unless other things change he won't make a huge difference,no single player can.

Someone earlier put Butcher in the back three. I like that idea, he would prefer to play in midfield but needs must, and that midfield needs a good shake up. Hopefully he realizes his time there might be coming to an end and he might get a few extra years on a contract playing at the back.

Gless still half ful tho............. could be much worse

I think we will go after certain teams with a more attack minded attitude,i blame the two 4-0 defeats for sending Micky back to the tactics board especially the Rugby Park rout.
    The virus has not been kind to us(neither were Hearts)and no fans in Tannadice is probably allowing for a more negative approach that we would never accept if we were allowed in.

100%agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Fuchs is just a young lad. Anything I have seen or read about him, including his DUTV interview doesn't say play-maker to me. He doesn't lack enthusiasm that's for sure. He looks like he is a strong runner and some of his running back tackles are great. He also can get to the edge of the opponents box which is great.

Hope we are not thinking one young player will be the answer and change this team dramatically, that's not gonna happen.

Not saying that we are, but there are a good few mentions, more in hope to be fair, that he might be the answer. He looks like he will be a good addition (who doesn't on twitter & YouTube?) but unless other things change he won't make a huge difference,no single player can.

Someone earlier put Butcher in the back three. I like that idea, he would prefer to play in midfield but needs must, and that midfield needs a good shake up. Hopefully he realizes his time there might be coming to an end and he might get a few extra years on a contract playing at the back.

Gless still half ful tho............. could be much worse
    Not saying this guy is the answer, but if we had someone in the middle of the park who could command the midfield & link the attack, it would make a MASSIVE difference. Butcher does not do that. Its not his role. He isn't good enough anyway. Harkes is too powder puff and offensively he is rotten. Can't pass, can't shoot, rarely tackles. Just runs about. IF this guy is the real deal, it'll make a massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Not saying this guy is the answer, but if we had someone in the middle of the park who could command the midfield & link the attack, it would make a MASSIVE difference. Butcher does not do that. Its not his role. He isn't good enough anyway. Harkes is too powder puff and offensively he is rotten. Can't pass, can't shoot, rarely tackles. Just runs about. IF this guy is the real deal, it'll make a massive difference.
    Agree we the runnin' thing .

Name:  fg.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  13.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    Mellon is not daft. He is learning alll the time about this squad and what he will be discovering is what most of us were saying when we won promotion we need to strengthen considerably. He has had to work with restraints of COVID and if circumstances were different I think we would have seen significant improvements to the squad. Possibly the most surprising thing in all this is we are actually in the top 6.something Micky needs to be given some credit for. The next 3 games will say a lot about our season. Despite how pish we have been lately the teams around us are not great shakes either. If we are in the The Premiership next season without the significant strengthening we require then that is a good result. Perspective.
    Yeah good post. MM has definitely decided to make us harder to beat with limited talent at his disposal, hence the 3 centre backs. To be fair, we're all moaning but if we were playing attractive expansive football and losing to Aberdeen and St Johnstone we'd be moaning about that. The Aberdeen team we frustrated 0-0 scored 3 times today against Celtic.

First 15/20 minutes I thought here we go, we finally have a bit of team. Powers looked an upgrade on Butcher and there was a bit of service to the front players but then it went t1ts up. Shocking really, I mean wtf is this hoof it forward all the time achieving? Nothing, it just brings more pressure back on us.

Positives
    Clean sheet
    Away point
    Back 5 didn't offer up much in the way of clear chances
    Somehow we are holding on in 6th
    I think we will improve at some point
    Another transfer window 9 weeks away
    The Cameroonian Modric is getting ready
    MM will know how absolutely sh1te we are in midfield he just can't come out and say it

Negatives
    Eye bleeding football again
    Shankland will be away
    We rode our luck...again
    Just as well the club isn't relying on PATG because they would have to pay the fans to watch that
    Probably more just don't really want to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    Like you’ve said, had fans been in the stadium, then he’d be getting pelters!!!
    What I’d like to know, is how the first 5 or 6 six games, saw so much intensity, pressing the opposition, and fighting for each other, but recent games has appeared to be the opposite, why?
    Attitude, for me, should be a given, yet we appear to have forgiven that from previous games??

A lot of the players need to give themselves a shake, they should be embarrassed about recent performances!!
    We did look compact and better on the ball v Ross C, Motherwell, Celtic and Hibs so it's a question I've been asking myself but like you I can't find the answer. Tbh I don't think it's attitude. I think the players have a good attitude, good fitness and a good togetherness. One thing I have noticed is that we work very hard to retain our shape and MM has to take credit for that. I can see what he's trying to do (be hard to beat, frustrate opponents) but most of us aren't used to the look of it. But as others have said we still have largely a Championship squad plus youths so we might have to be patient to see the expansive football we all want.

Something Darrenshedtastic said earlier is so bang on about our midfield. NO ONE is prepared to run at a defender and beat him. Sideways, backways, out wide, but will not take a defender on. Very frustrating to watch. Mental really when you consider the defenders are happy to give the ball back to the opposition all the time by playing long balls.

TA mentioned at last weeks meeting with Fans United that United had budgeted for having some fans back by now.
    As that doesn’t look likely until next year I’d guess any funds available will be needed to keep the club going.
    If so then I suppose bringing new players in at the next window will be unlikely.
    Unless the Ogden’s are prepared to put more in.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)