+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sunderland

Sunderland

Very tight defence and light in goalscoring as well. No idea what to expect. Another close fought game maybe!
    0-1

I’m usually an optimist where the Alex are concerned but, on this occasion, can’t see anything but a defeat. I’ll go for 2-0 and that we will give a good account of ourselves.... anything better I’d be pleased, a point I’d be delighted, a win week, let’s not promise anything rash or embarrassing!

Delighted with a point, but I fear a 1-3 defeat.

The same team as last Saturday except Finney for Ainley.

Not surprised, Ainley can be a bit of a luxury player if we are under the cosh....

Poor team selection. It was obvious in the Blackpool game that Powell was out of sorts, and Finney has been very poor this season. Does not seem to be very interested. Dale and Ainley should have been the obvious choice. Both are more effective this season, and a lot more creative.

If we are not going to play to our strengths we are going to find it hard to get points,

My word for this game - leaden. The Alex looked dead on their feet and very rarely picked up any pace. It was almost walkingg pace throughout the game, which was a shame as with a wide pitch we could have played to our strengths. I agree about Powell as that's the second game now where he seems to have lost pace and power. He actually seemed like he was suffering from an illness. I know that I go on about him, but I was also thought Finney shouldn't have played. He gives nothing to most games and his one strength, i.e. the ability to find good shooting positions and have goal chances, seems to have been missing for the second time this season. The last two games, we have needed battlers on the pitch as we gave them too much room and time to make decisions and pick passes. With this in mind, the sooner Lowery gets back to full match fitness the better. Maybe, as suggested, Dale needs to start until Powell is back to normal.
    Interesting again that there were no centre halves on the bench. So we have 3 players just drumming their heels and seemingly not in the plans. Does this mean they'll be going out on loan soon?
    Maybe also an insistence on Perry going back to basics, as his little tricks are not working in this division.
    Good points? Ainley was willing to take the ball to the opposition. Offord did well and couldn't really be damned for his attempted clearance/own goal. Beckles won a lot in the air at the back. Mandron hustled but was mostly fighting a lone losing battle.
    3 questions: why is Beckles the defender playing the ball out from the back when he clearly has fewer ball skills than the other defenders?
    ; Why play a lone striker to hold up the ball if the rest of the team are not quickly moving forward to play off him?;
    Why bring on Porter to play wide left and invite long balls from deep? ( surely we should be aiming to get further forward and supplying the two of them with crosses).

Oh, I forgot to point out my prediction was right!!