+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire Post with Dane Murphy

Yorkshire Post with Dane Murphy

Yorkshire Post with Tykes chief Dane Murphy.
    Reporter Leon Wobschall.

Dane Murphy, chief executive of Barnsley. Picture supplied by Barnsley FC
    In the first part of an interview with The Yorkshire Post, Murphy addresses where the Reds are currently at in their search for a new permanent head coach.

He also speaks about the club’s late business in the transfer market and the conjecture arising from that.

DM: We are in a final group of three and we will be shortly making the decision. It will not be as drawn out as it was last time and we should be able to make a decision and form a decision as a group relatively quickly.

LW: Are Valerian Ismael and Adam Murray candidates?

DM: “He (Ismael) is in the final group and we are trying as a collective – the board and myself – to decide the next step.

Adam is also in the group and he has done an excellent job. Even last year, when he was thrust into a really tough spot in the middle of the season with a tough run of games, he did a very good job. He knows what is best for the club and is a real pro and a good person and has a good rapport with the players and rest of the staff, both the coaching and support staff and front office. He (Murray) understands what it takes and what is best going forward. In our last two games, we looked better in attack and more dangerous as a group and you cannot say anything other than he has done a good job so far.

LW: Speculation linked Darren Moore to the job. Was he ever a candidate?

DM: I think it was more speculative than anything. When it first came to me, it was the first I was aware of it. We never spoke to Doncaster, Darren or any of his representatives. He has been on our coaching list in the past, but it has never got any further than that and we have never discussed anything with him.

LW: Should he not get the permanent post, will Murray still be part of the set-up?

DM: Yes, regardless of what the final decision is, Adam will be with our group moving forward.

LW: The transfer window has passed. Regarding Cauley Woodrow, did he come close to leaving?

DM: A few teams came in, actually. Cardiff were probably the most aggressive. But in the end, they never even got close to something that we would evaluate or take seriously.

Cauley is such an important player, both on and off the field. It did not make any sense to let him go and we wanted to keep him in-house. That’s why we added to his current contract and he has looked great since signing that contract.

LW: Had talks lasted a while?

DM: We’d had back-and-forths. There was always going to be interest in Cauley and goalscorers are a commodity. I think we have made the best decision for both parties.

LW: Do Fulham have a sell-on clause?

DM: There is a sell-on, but it has not inhibited our decision-making. That wasn’t the reason that Cauley remains. We want him here and he is a key part of the group. We want him to stay as long as Cauley can.

LW: Was their late-window interest in Alex Mowatt?

DM: We had a couple of calls. But nothing officially came through to us. We had a few ‘feelers’ for Alex throughout the window. That’s as far as it got.

LW: Will you have to make a decision in January if you cannot agree a new deal?

DM: We are still speaking to Alex and his representatives. In the past, we were far apart, but we have had some (new) conversations. We haven’t discussed, as a group, something in January. Alex is a core piece and we will try and find a solution. If we don’t, we expect him to play out his contract at Barnsley as he is our captain and key element.

LW: What about bringing strikers in?

DM: With the attacking dynamic, we needed a little bit more and probably still need something a little bit different to our attack. We have tried throughout both windows to add. This was a strange market and we weren’t able to get things over the line that we thought would go through.

Right now, we are speaking to free agents, but there is nothing close or imminent. But discussions are taking place and we have already begun our preparation for January and it is something we will continue to focus on.

LW: The signing of Herbie Kane seemed a significant investment.

DM: It is a (significant) investment. I will let those reporting on social media and other outlets speculate (on figures).

LW: Do you think that criticism of Barnsley’s policy in the last transfer window is unfair?

DM: To be honest, I don’t take to that stuff too much or focus on it. The white noise or ‘what we are doing wrong’, ‘what we could do better or ‘Dane is an idiot’...That can be a motivator at times, but it is not something I partake in as there is not enough time in the day. We need to focus on getting points, our fans back in our stadium and making sure everyone in the ground is healthy. That takes up so much time in the day.

We have brought in a fair amount of players and spent some money that was reinvested.

At the end of the day, I know some people maybe wanted more (spent). But in the times that we are in, we felt we needed to balance and to strengthen certain areas. We probably still need to strengthen in one or two areas, but we are preparing for January and we will see what comes.
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 23-10-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Wonderful, lovely,sincere man.

I must admit to a liitle tear in the corner of my eye.

Do I detect the first signs of disrespecting Struber after him saying the board lacked ambition ? "We looked better....more dangerous as a group"

The old "we couldn't get things over the line" excuse is still alive. (three month window)

# Conway's An Arseoyle
    Last edited by SBRed48; 23-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Motivating the Dane there.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Motivating the Dane there.
    Being the wonderful man he is he ignores it and rides above it.

He does contradict himself a bit in that paragraph--he doesn't read it and instead spends his time doing wonderful things, but it motivates him.

I think you can see his answer and in most cases know that the opposite is most likely the answer!
    I think we don’t give Murray enough credit for how switched on he must be?
    He is employed at Oakwell and has kept his position through 3 Manager appointments, I don’t think he has ever wanted the job because he knows if he gets it eventually this lot will sack him! Then he will be out of work!
    Personally I think he knows the way this lot work and there is no chance of success! Let’s be honest Struber walked at the first opportunity, an opportunity that wouldn’t have come if Wigan had not been deducted points cos we would have gone down and he would have been sacked!
    So Murray out of it, Moore would have cost compensation, others we like such as Cook and Clough won’t stand for their Sh1t so all it leaves is Ismael (their first choice) a useless, job seeking, yes man who will be sacked after his first three or four consecutive defeats with the board stating “he wasn’t the right fit”!

Dane facing the music with proper fans would be like Johnson agreeing to be interviewed by Andrew Neil .

Easy to make glossy sugar coated sound bites through the medis and quite another in front of a room full of pyssed off fans .

As you told me Dane , the owners don't like the limelight and prefer to keep themselves low key and we all know why don't we ???? .

Good luck to anyone with that job if they want to keep themselves in work.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Good luck to anyone with that job if they want to keep themselves in work.
    My take on his job description is he's the owners CEO and not the clubs .

There is a significant difference .

Nice to see the Yorkshire Post interviewing Spud by the way .

Keep up the good work Leon , as I communicated to you they maybe a story with the owners if you keep digging .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Dane facing the music with proper fans would be like Johnson agreeing to be interviewed by Andrew Neil .

Easy to make glossy sugar coated sound bites through the medis and quite another in front of a room full of pyssed off fans .

As you told me Dane , the owners don't like the limelight and prefer to keep themselves low key and we all know why don't we ???? .
    This Wabschall fella seems as soft as sh1t & fails to press home vi tal points & lets DM get away with softball answers to softball questions
    Wouldn't give LW or DM the time of day & it wouldn't concern me one bit if we never heard from him again
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 23-10-2020 at 01:36 PM.

The Sports Media reporters rely on getting access to club staff and players to publish stuff so they keep their own jobs. It's very rare for a critical piece to be written or expressed or they will find so and so at the club is suddenly "not available".
    Hence it all becomes a procession of soft questions and answers for fans to lap up without question. The club know the emotional attachment of fans to the club will introduce an element of gullibility amongst a number of the fan base. Dane is perfect for the role of dishing out the soft answers to fill column inches and he does this very well on behalf of the owners.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 23-10-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast