+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RIP Ebbe

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    There was a strange enjoyable element to Ebbes time.

A wacky time to be a Dons fan
    In a nutshell Pac, looking back it seems a bit surreal.

I recall a game at Livingston (when they were spending shedloads of money they didn't have) when the corrupt Willie Young sent one of ours off first half (might've been Darren Young?).

We battled gamely for a 0-0 (I'll let that sink in.........).

The sizeable support spent virtually the entire second half singing the Leon Mike song.

I remember our lot having a right laugh......and there were many games like that.

I still think Ebbe was a bit ahead of his time as a coach and I still think the biggest mistake was not getting either an experienced Scottish number two or putting a Director of Football type set up in place from the get go.

We picked up a bunch when we got rid of that .......what was his name, came from deadco.........and got Gardiner Spiers in.

That run of home wins, the "snake" celebration, those two semi final wins, especially the Hibs one with the "Ebbe dance".

But the club was a cluster fu ck then and I doubt the love child of Bill Shankly and Pep Guardiola could've brought us success.

In the right environment Ebbe could've been a proper success story, but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    He never won anything because he was in a pish team that you remember so fondly.
    It’s not really the team i remember fondly, there were too many pish players in it. Like Bisconti for example. Did he not throw a strop & down tools at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    It’s not really the team i remember fondly, there were too many pish players in it. Like Bisconti for example. Did he not throw a strop & down tools at the end?
    Over school fees I think.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    In a nutshell Pac, looking back it seems a bit surreal.

I recall a game at Livingston (when they were spending shedloads of money they didn't have) when the corrupt Willie Young sent one of ours off first half (might've been Darren Young?).

We battled gamely for a 0-0 (I'll let that sink in.........).

The sizeable support spent virtually the entire second half singing the Leon Mike song.

I remember our lot having a right laugh......and there were many games like that.

I still think Ebbe was a bit ahead of his time as a coach and I still think the biggest mistake was not getting either an experienced Scottish number two or putting a Director of Football type set up in place from the get go.

We picked up a bunch when we got rid of that .......what was his name, came from deadco.........and got Gardiner Spiers in.

That run of home wins, the "snake" celebration, those two semi final wins, especially the Hibs one with the "Ebbe dance".

But the club was a cluster fu ck then and I doubt the love child of Bill Shankly and Pep Guardiola could've brought us success.

In the right environment Ebbe could've been a proper success story, but hey ho.

Remember it well, my 30th I think. Leon Mike may have been useless, but a cracking ditty and still gets me going thinking about it.
    Skov was a great character and although it never worked out for him at the Dons, it was a memorable ride all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    When I was QA Manager at a now-subsumed FE college, I had to give a report at each meeting of Curriculum Policy Committee (Academic Board) on internal verification success v (****ing Blairite) targets, and an overview of external verification activity (this is how I know that Swinney is a devious erse) There was a query about the numbers once, and I took a deep breath, and intoned, ”In the words of the great Ebbe Skovdahl, ‘Statistics are like mini-skirts, they show what’s interesting but hide what’s important’” to muffled laughter from the good guys, and glares from the feminists. That was Friday. On Monday morning, the ex-Dunfermline reserve winger who was our scrupulously-fair Principal called me and asked for the quote. I thought that some **** had complained, but he wanted to use it in a presentation to the FE Principals’ network and the Scottish Higher Education Funding Council later that week. Ebbe’s influence spread wider that he probably ever imagined.
    Ha, ha, that’s a great tale!

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I think that was Eoin Jess.

Aye sad news about Ebbe. Some crazy after match interviews. As others have said a bit of a rollercoaster ride with him at times. Just over 21 years ago to the day we got that 6-5 win at Motherwell. The game needs more characters like him.

I went down to Motherwell that night , a last minute decision based on the fact that we were so s'hite they needed my help.
    I think we'd suffered a real do'in at the weekend.

There was a real togetherness among the fans in those days, despite how s'hite we were.

I liked Ebbe also. Spoke to him a couple of times and a very decent guy indeed. He was a bit ahead of where we were as a club but unfortunately couldn’t find the right balance to be a real success. Give me an Ebbe run Aberdeen than a McInnes led one any day. Much more fun with Ebbe in charge.

That was a good tribute to the man shown before Sunday's match on Red TV. I looked on Red TV yesterday, but it hadn't appeared to watch again. I'll get my people to enquire as to the possibilities of its being added to the Red TV archive. Dowser's goal in the semi v Hibs was even better than I remembered.

EDIT: just checked before I set my Communications Director on the case, and it looks like it's been added now, although in truncated form.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 27-10-2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Pee po belly bum drawers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345