+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: EM derby musings

https://coachingsoccertactics.com/qu...o-the-1-4-3-3/

This one uses both notations.

Here's another from an Italian coach...

https://wcctrainingcenter.com/a-quic...-3-3-part-one/

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Not sure why? He did **** all and anyway how do you know he wanted to continue?
    Hmmm...only if you define ‘**** all’ as being a solid club man for years, bringing the youngsters through and being second highest (only to McClaren Mk1) in terms of win rate and gpg ratio of any manager in recent times.

I’m sure he has his failings, but he rescued the Clement season when it was going seriously off the rails, and came within a whisker of taking us to Wembley. After the disastrous play off semi final 1st leg at PP he turned things round magnificently in the 2nd leg at Hull and had it not been for that 1st leg debacle and the Shackell (whatever happened to him?) incident at Rotherham (?) I think we’d remember him more fondly.

So...I don’t ‘know he wanted to continue’...but I do know he’s done a lot more than ‘**** all’ and, imo, he’s been a bit hard done to.

I may be wrong here but I get the impression DW prefers working with the academy / age groups rather than the fl on stress of manager where careers are ephemeral, particularly at Derby. And a bloody good job he has done at that level. Peter principle means he's maybe best left doing what he does well.

You may be right, GP...I wouldn’t know. My comments about him were within the context of the relative performances of recent managers.
    It was a short (18 match) tenure at a difficult time and, imo, he was a much greater success than many...and he didn’t waste any money.

I actually meant ppg not gpg in my earlier comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You may be right, GP...I wouldn’t know. My comments about him were within the context of the relative performances of recent managers.
    It was a short (18 match) tenure at a difficult time and, imo, he was a much greater success than many...and he didn’t waste any money.

RA he probably didn't waste any money But if I remember right it cost us £1million for Redknap to advise him . I'm with Geoff on this one he's doing a cracking and important job as academy director . Not sure he want or be capable of being a permanent first team manage He doesn't actually manage the U23s Pat Lyons does almost all of it In fact a lot of matches DW isn't always there . I would be very surprised if MM hasn't approached him about it at some point But if it ain't broke don't fix it

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA he probably didn't waste any money But if I remember right it cost us £1million for Redknap to advise him . I'm with Geoff on this one he's doing a cracking and important job as academy director . Not sure he want or be capable of being a permanent first team manage He doesn't actually manage the U23s Pat Lyons does almost all of it In fact a lot of matches DW isn't always there . I would be very surprised if MM hasn't approached him about it at some point But if it ain't broke don't fix it
    He didn’t waste any money, mista...mainly perhaps because he didn’t have a window to do so...but after eddy’s post yesterday I checked on Clement’s spending and...jeez, eddy’s right...he really wasted a lot!

I think I agree with you and GP on where Wassall’s strengths lie...but he hasn’t, in Swale’s words, done ‘**** all’, in fact he’s probably done more for the club than most high profile employees and is one of the few who hasn’t let MM down, imo.

The fact that he hasn’t gone off to manage Burton possibly suggests either that, as you and GP suggest, he’s happier in his current role, or bright enough to recognise a poisoned chalice (of management not necessarily BAFC) when he sees one.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

He's unlikely to have wasted any money since I believe the transfer window was shut during his one game tenure in 2013 and his subsequent appointment between 8 February 2016 and the end of that season!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    He's unlikely to have wasted any money since I believe the transfer window was shut during his one game tenure in 2013 and his subsequent appointment between 8 February 2016 and the end of that season!
    See the post above yours. You’re right...as I’ve already said...on the other hand this means he rescued, or almost rescued, a season that was
    in complete collapse without making any signings.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    https://coachingsoccertactics.com/qu...o-the-1-4-3-3/

This one uses both notations.

Here's another from an Italian coach...

https://wcctrainingcenter.com/a-quic...-3-3-part-one/
    And where in popular use do you find you frankly pointless formation notation used? Nowhere, nobody uses it for the simple reason that the goalkeeper is always in the same position. Yes I can just about see why in youth coaching you'd include the goalkeeper in a formation, just about. But on an everyday basis its not used, I'm betting Guardiola or Klopp don't use it for their first teams and I have yet to see a single media whether it be TV, newspaper or internet use that description of a formation.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    And where in popular use do you find you frankly pointless formation notation used? Nowhere, nobody uses it for the simple reason that the goalkeeper is always in the same position. Yes I can just about see why in youth coaching you'd include the goalkeeper in a formation, just about. But on an everyday basis its not used, I'm betting Guardiola or Klopp don't use it for their first teams and I have yet to see a single media whether it be TV, newspaper or internet use that description of a formation.
    If for no other reason than it gets under your skin, I shall continue to notate all 11 positions on the field of play.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)